Saturday, October 15, 2022

my creative week a quilt finish, a few paintings and a sewing machine story

For this week's creativity round-up I have a finished quilt, a few paintings and a sewing machine story

The quilt above was pieced from scraps sent to me after the colorful fabriholic finished her kaleidoscope quilt. I have made good use of them, and their colors are perfect for this time of year. Now I let these scraps sit waiting for this time of year, because I like to work in colors of a season.

The finished quilt is small, lots of careful improv stitching, and is perfect on my bedside table. It looks like a topaz geode would in my mind.
 

When you start with odd angles, some strip units, and little bits, it's fun to put them into a composition. 

like doing a fall puzzle! 

I do a lot of improv geese units, got to use that striped border scrap I've had a while black, metallic gold, blue... Ginny Beyer I think. 

I used to go to Ginny Beyer's shop often back in MD. I would dig into her scrap barrel and squeeze so much into a bag.

also, I thought some might be interested in couching pretty threads for accent. On this 14" X 18" quilt I couched a sparkly fall colored thread....



green strip added for rainbow scrap challenge color of the month

Usually I use a couching foot, with a hole to keep the thread in place, but didn't want to shift the quilt layers so I used my walking foot and kept the thread in place while I zig-zagged over it around the binding... it adds so much in my eyes! couching is just like thread applique. Stitch over with another thread to apply it to the surface of a piece, by hand or machine

this one is bound and ready to finish with a fun halloween backing, but I think I might stitch some orange thread and beads around the binding over the black. I'll show you when that's done.

I was again torn between painting and quilt making this week. I also cleaned up my painting supplies and organized them! Celebrate with me on seeing my desk top again! Of course I may not remember where things are now that they are put away, heh heh

this was a lesson by Toni Burt in architectural details, and sketchbooking memories from travel.

It is far from perfect but I really want to learn perspective, to improve my drawing skills, what details to include from a busy photo... I used watercolor, staedtler pen and ink, gel and posca pens. 

speaking of photos... my friend Angie at (https://tentoesinthewater.blogspot.com/) sent me a pic of two flora pictures from her recent hike. She's a great photographer, and I wanted to capture the depth in her images. The one on the left was my first attempt (again on an index card)

the one on the right was done to see if I could improve.... can't say as I'm proud of either one but I'm sending them to her to thank her for years of pretty photo inspiration

one morning Karen Abend did a lesson in journal paintings... capture the feel, with bold lines...

my self portrait, although I don't have blue hair. I would like it, I do have a round/square face as I age

I sketch and draw in the mornings while I have my coffee...

this was a lesson with Effie Wilde on the Life Book taster sessions... I love sketching with stabilo crayon, then using a water brush to pull the shadows out. I called the one on the left cheeky, and like her best although the one with color on the right looks familiar. when you paint over the stabilo it automatically blends color with black. Hard to control... 

this week's face off!

Sewing machine help

 I sew a lot... pretty much daily as it's my happy place and takes me away from stress... so when my machine started sounding noisy I stopped everything and looked inside. It was still willing to sew but my machine doesn't like any dust at all.

 

I clean it before any bobbin change, brush, oil around the bobbin case and along the shaft of the needle holder/uptake metal.Then go over it with a Q-tip which picks up stray oil and left over dust...

sometimes I peer in at the part that goes round to take the two threads together, and slowly turn the hand wheel looking at it... today I saw the tip of a tiny thread stuck between the discs. I got out the hemostat grabbed it, and slowly turned the flywheel while gently pulling.

slowly out came a long thread that had stuck itself in that inner disc when it was all out, the machine was happy again! Look how long it was! I had to go hunting for it too, easily missed.... clean your machines!
 

I put out a lot of halloween quilts made over the years... this one is hanging in the family room...

I plan to share them throughout October

I love the mix of big blocks, and little fillers that carry the eye around the quilt. I look at it as I watch tv and love it. 


Happy arting this week!





linking with

patchwork Sunday                    

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts
lovelaughquilt.mondays 

25 comments:

Maggie said...

Cleaning those discs is so important, my machine made a noise, oh dear. Then I looked at a YouTube video and the technician showed the bit of thread in between the disc, many a machine come into his shop with exactly that problem. Sewing is definitely our happy place, so our machines need to be happy too. Amazing how fast dust can collect and how much it can affect the performance of said machine. Have a wonderful weekend.

PaintedThread said...

I really like that quilt! Yay for a clean machine.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Love, love, LOVE this week's "face off" and that AWESOME autumn-inspired quilt, LeeAnna!!!

Sharon Kwilter said...

I think this might be the first time I'm visiting your blog. Your quilt is wonderful and you're an amazing artist. Thanks for sharing photos.

MissPat said...

Good job on finding the errant thread. It's amazing how even a small piece of lint can mess up the bobbin. I love all your Halloween hangings.
Pat

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your new quilt finish goes perfectly with the beautiful leaf photo! Thanks for the reminder about cleaning the machine, too - I'm sure it's time I did mine!

grammajudyb said...

There are my favorite improv geese, flying by again. I love how you do them! Fun to see your "face offs" this week! And you are spot on about the machine cleaning. I dust often, but I hate taking the bobbin case out because I have such trouble getting it back just right. I fumble with it, then finally call Mr. Busy for assistances!

Sara said...

It does look like a geode! So pretty!! I love the little door painting. It made me think of the magical door into the mountain in Lord of the Rings.

sonja said...

good to delint you machines occasionally and put bit of oil in the right place. i really like working on my Berninas and Featherweights cause they are mechanical and make a different sound when you sew that machine with plastic parts. if i am calm, i can hear how machine sounds different when you run out of bobbin thread! each machine has that tone that makes me stop as i am no longer am sewing or quilting, i am just punching holes.
you had a great week of accomplishments paint and fabric wise!
thank you for sharing your colorful and smart art with us!!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

so glad you were able to get your machine cleaned and it didn't need a full spa treatment...now you can continue on your projects!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Your mini is bright and vibrant, I love it! The couched thread adds a nice accent. Lovely painted faces, I like the Mysterious one!
Thank you for sharing your cleaning tips, and linking up.

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Happy Arting indeed! You never cease to amaze me with your creativity. I love the architectural piece. Did you notice that it echoes the colors and the shapes of the quilted piece above it?

Susie H said...

That is one beautiful Fall quilt. I love your improv and all the colors. The couching around the binding was GENIUS! Good for you to "fix" your machine. Silly thread thought it could beat you --- NOT!

Kathleen said...

That fall quilt is beautiful. I am hemming and hawing over doing one, either in conjunction with the autumn hop or something different. I don't have the wool I need for the cornucopia, so do I want to do it in real fabric, or make it work? I just can't decide. Good for you for finding that rascal. I hate when you know something sounds wrong but it eludes you. Glad you found it and that your machine is happy - and I expect you are too!

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
Sewing machines do have their own secrects :) Thanks for the story !
Great colour combinations for a happy Halloween !
hugs, take care,
Joanne

Nann said...

Topaz geode is the right descriptor! I can imagine some of your sketches as thread painting. Another hiding place for lint: the spaces between the feed dogs. I learned that when I couldn't get fabric to feed straight. The culprit was a lint-packed groove.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Wowza, LeeAnna, your quilt is gorgeously rich in color! Autumn happiness. You’ve got me thinking I ought to check my sewing machine. Will I?

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Love your fall quilt! Those deep reds are perfect for the season. Love your architectural sketch! So much to love. Your owls are adorable. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

Gillena Cox said...

Awesome Halooween quilt.
Thanks for linking to Art For Friday at myy blog today
Much❤love

DVArtist said...

OMGosh your quilt is simply stunning. You are so talented. I love your faces too. Thank you for joining Friday Face OFF. Have a lovely evening.

My name is Erika. said...

That scrap quilt is just gorgeous. That thread is gorgeous too, and really added some lovely texture, and some nice fall color glimmer. Loving the face drawings too. Hope it's been a good week. Hugs-Erika

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Such a stunning finish! The couched thread sure adds wonderful interest. I like your hike drawings. How fun to be inspired by your friends photographs!

Leanne Parsons said...

You quilt is beautiful! I love the couched thread, too. That's something I've never tried, but it really does add a lot of interest. Your painting are fun, too. Thanks for sharing all of your creativity!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

You made amazing use of those colors!!! and they are perfect for fall -

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

I love all of your art ... the quilt is beautiful as are your ladies and your self portrait, blue hair and all :) I used to sew when my kids were young. I would make them outfits that matched which wasn't easy as I have a girl and a boy. But it was fun. I don't know when I stopped sewing ... haven't done it in years. Not sure I would even know where to start if I were to try now. So I admire you ambition and think it is awesome that you have found a Happy Place. A lovely post, Leeanna ...

Andrea @ From the Sol