"Glamingo" 25" X 36" is finished! (forgive my poor pictures please)
The challenge of Stay At Home Round Robin (SAHRR) this year was to follow the prompts each week adding to your center...this was mine
the next round was to add " curves" and I needed to think what had curves that went with my tropical flamingo theme... seashells! I paper pieced these tiny intricate shells with satin, rhinestone speckled fussy fabrics
tearing the paper out was not easy. Each row caused me to figure out how to incorporate them into the whole piece, and allowed me to use my stash. See the seagull fabric? Note the binding... a vintage Jane Sassamon fabric that finds it's way into many of my quilts, combines deep pink with lime green!
Note I try to use repetition of color, lime palmetto buses is repeated in the binding
the next prompt was "diamonds" and what better way than to turn them into water swirls as a flamingo foot gracefully dips in...
small but mighty! I used many batik fabrics to blend into sun dappled water here, then carried them out into the "album blocks...
I got to use pretty prints of tropical flowers in the block that has triangles on opposite sides
There was a "star" prompt, where I chose to make maverick stars... made three and tried to fit them all in but ended up with one
here you can see I chose two fabrics to bind the finished quilt. I have made nearly 300 quilts over time, so I really don't want lots of big ones, and chose to challenge myself to follow prompts while keeping the finished size small
these stars were appliqued into the sky with sparkly white glitter fabrics. I had a 5" strip of the border fabric in my stash and used it up in this quilt... I'll miss it as it has great colors, movement and gold
|Notice the flamingos appliqued in each scene!!!|
I must say including a shoo fly block stumped me for days!!! When I paint from real subjects I look for the essence of that object to capture. When I paint a portrait I look for what makes their faces unique. When I paint from nature I seek the colors and lines that convey that scene. So when I looked at shoo fly blocks I sought the basis of what made them unique
I looked at them online and realized the block's components had four triangles on the outside corners... like photo albums!!! Out came the tropical prints to become "postcards" and I made lots of them...
I moved them round and round the quilt trying to make them work...
it all got chaotic however, my eyes not finding any place to rest. Sadly these had to be left out of the finished piece but I was able to keep in the bottom row of them.
Balance is important. Symmetry is not my goal in art quilts but balance is important.
I will use these lovelies in a stand alone banner somehow in the next few weeks as I just love them!!