Saturday, November 13, 2021

sewing saturday

 welcome to this week's sewing round up!

the scrap color of the month at RSC is neutrals. Challenging indeed to someone who loves color! But I am loving working with subtle color variance and it's calming... Above are the four light neutral hexie kaleidoscope made this week. Back in January or February I gave the pattern source (tv show) and have been making these each month in the chosen colorway. I have about enough to do a twin I think since they are quite large (maybe 8.5" to a side. 

I put all of them up for last month's post, and know color placement as well as orientation will make a huge difference in this quilt's look. In case you want to look at the fabrics




next month for me is dark neutrals and I'll make enough to turn this into a quilt... and show it then

I pulled out a lovely tiny neutral miniature I made last year with cutoff HST's and decided to paper piece flying geese for a border... more later

I chose a binding for this piece and am in process of hand sewing it to the back. Thank you to Joy for giving her opinion once I narrowed the options down to two. Both gorgeous fabrics, both shot through with metallic gold but the paisley (dated 1997) pulled the whole look together.

the audition process

I had some anguish because I have saved this beautiful neutral for a long time and only have a half yard, well less now. As they say, when you use a fabric and keep the quilt you get to keep the fabric but see it! I'll show this one when it's finished as it is my offering for the Table Scraps this month.

I got the kaleidoscope basted but my back hurt too much to quilt it this week.

Next up I got enthused to try a  method seen on youtube this week... a stack and whack style that starts with 10" squares.  (Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA_EvDlRPuU

I did this to try a pattern/technique so I used scraps and solids as the experiment thinking if I liked it I'd pick a theme, or color scheme, or change the technique to fit my style.

 I used some solid fabrics in brights, and some more subdued ones just to try it

stack 3 cut on angles, rotate fabric position in the stacks a bit, resew

My blocks finished about 8" square

maybe if I'd have coordinated the colors better... I don't know. It's kind of static for me as you can only tip them two ways and the sections are large. I'm wondering about appliqueing something in the centers if I continue. 

The bright solids were too odd to show... 

Sometimes I really hate something til I come back in the morning and an idea comes to me.Does that happen to you? 

to finish, I enjoyed watching this video on  how to turn an old sweater into a fresh new look. DH's wool sweater shrunk and I couldn't block it back, the sleeves are too short for him. I"m considering doing this for me... especially that scarf!


 happy stitching y'all

patchwork Sunday                    
oh Scrap Sundays

8 comments:

Kathy said...

Since I am all about improv.........when you do those stack and slash blocks, cut those angles differently for every stack. If there is no variety in the cuts, there can't be much variety in the placement!

Sara said...

That hexie with the red center is just the BEST one. These all together will make such a pretty quilt. And that stack and whack is very intriguing!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I understand saving special fabrics, but if we don't USE them, who will?! Your selection will finish that runner off beautifully, LeeAnna. Thanks for including that video link! I would love to give something like that a try.

Linda said...

Love the gentle colours in your hexie blocks. So many pieces so precisely placed.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Pretty hexagon blocks! And you have such nice neutral fabrics. Good luck with the sweater deconstruction, that looks interesting!

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Love your neutral hexies. Well done.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

your RSC blocks are great - but I really like those purple ones you started!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

It's hard to work in a color palette that's not our favorite, but you did great with the RSC blocks! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.