Saturday, November 20, 2021

sewing Saturday

 welcome to sewing Saturdays....

friends: "whatcha doing Lee Anna??"

LeeAnna: "nothing much, sitting around drinking some wine"


The scrappy color of the month at RSC is neutrals. I have neutral like scraps so it's time for wine bottles of the month...


The free pattern is on Hoffman Fabrics site and I've obviously made them in all the chosen colors this year. 

I call the top one Lions Share Winery, chablis

Wine so good it will make you roar!






and the other one, Alegro Winery's sparkling muscato! 

Sing the praises of Alegro Wines!

 


I've tried to sew this week but my upper back is spasming when I try to rotary cut or quilt... so getting these done by paper piecing was easier, using scissors. I have no idea now how to finish these into a top. Originally I wanted to do a long runner but am thinking I like them in a wall quilt too.

I added some binding stitches on my neutral scrappy table runner and am pretty excited about it. I love the way it came together and the gentle tones in it. I'll show it next week finished for Joy's Table Scraps

While looking in the neutrals bin I noticed the little piece done last year with cut off half square triangle blocks. I pieced four into teensy little pinwheel blocks and surrounded a gratitude scrap... and it sat for a year.

see it down on the right side?

once again paper piecing to the rescue, I did some flying geese in neutrals, two sizes to create a border, and to keep it quick and small, I wanted to border it... considered quite a number of possible fabrics including this larger piece of gratitude words... kind of the wrong tone...

but the coppery and golden metallic sparkles on this swirly lush brown and black won!

17.5" X 14" at the moment...

this is the finished top waiting for quilting... funny how I'll bank from traditional blocks to improv to art quilts... I just love it all!

 I love painting too but haven't been able to paint this week, just a doodle of Milo dreaming of Thanksgiving (drawn on calendar with watercolor pencils with color dragged with a wet brush)

linking to

patchwork Sunday                      

oh Scrap Sundays 

 scrap happy Saturdays

10 comments:

Brian's Home Blog said...

Those bottles are all so pretty and we love your Milo art!

Sara said...

That neutral piece - wow!! Your color and block choices really work! And of course those wine bottles make me smile every time.

Ivani said...

You have now a full wine cellar. Cheers!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

I love the bottles.

sonja said...

the wine bottles are a hoot! make mine a palm tree merlot!

piecefulwendy said...

Look at all those lovely bottles on the wall (you know I'm humming that song now - 99 bottles of . . yada yada) - they are so pretty and colorful. I love the little mini, a perfect little make for this time of year. Hope your back spasms settle down.

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Those wine bottles are just freaking adorable! Love it.

MissPat said...

I'm having trouble keeping up with my blog reading (and eating and sleeping, sigh). Seems like there are too many wine bottles for a table runner so a wall hanging would be a good alternative. How about some fabrics with grapes or a brown that would look like a cask for the sashing? Sorry your back is acting up and that there are still wildfires.
Pat

Kathleen said...

Sorry to hear of your continued back problems. I think you did quite a lot, considering. Hope it gives up soon and lets you alone…. Happy Thanksgiving if I don’t comment again before it!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

That little quilt made from neutral scraps is gorgeous! Loving your wine bottles too. They'll make a great runner or wall hanging, whichever you choose! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.