Friday, November 5, 2021

paint party Friday with acorns

 

welcome to this week's gallery show... as you know I love color and watching paint move across paper 

I watched a video this week, sorry didn't make note of which one, that suggested dropping wet color onto wet paper, sprinkling with salt then scrunching cling film to the surface. I tried it but it's pretty dry here and that seems to change the process. The above pic was painted with blue, purple, orange and gold, salt, scrunched. 

You can see an area in the top left where the salt worked. 

after removing salt and film, I shrugged. While sitting outside on the porch I did a quick sketch with pitt black ink pen, very quick very open. Then tried to add a bunny. 

I like it. I like seeing through the sketch, knowing there is an impression of a tree, an impression of a landscape. I like the effect of coloring in a couple leaves too. 

quick minimalist acorns on a twig.  I did not fret over it, just watched paint blend on paper. The acorns are quite large compared to the twig and crispy leaves but that just makes it more interesting to me. 

I dithered over whether to ink or not but added quick lines in brown staedtler fineliner pen.

I think I like the composition but love the loosely painted leaves... just before they fell, the way some cling to a twig like a rattle when you shake it. I like shading an area with dots too.

this was to be a quick background but I was finished painting for the evening. Then I looked at it closer

it was so subtle, I'm not known for subtlety of color. So subtle yet engaging. Maybe not in pics, sorry bout that but in person it captures my eyes... so one night, one paint session

Lessons learned

>layers are good, painting then embellishing will take a quiet piece to new places. 

> painting is always good as an experience. There is much to be learned, and much to be enjoyed in the actual making, which is enough

> the more I paint, the more I learn about color, line, and light. These three have no shadows, but would be enhanced with some... and I made note of shadow in the yard this week, which I'll keep to practice with for next week. Except... for my muse...

note the shadow he creates, plus the one across the sliding door, and a tree on the wall. Life is full of inspiration, where will it take you? 


I had fun watching this video of how to do some spectacular things very easily... let me know if you try any of them. I'll be trying some of them, now what did I do with that old toothbrush??


Linking to  https://paintpartyfriday.blogspot.com/








13 comments:

easyweimaraner said...

they have a kind of character... maybe they smile or grin when I slip around on the acorn dance floor?

Molly the Airedale said...

Love your acorns! Hi Milo☺

DVArtist said...

These are really wonderful. I have used the salt technique and I am like you. A shrug. Your art is always so beautiful.

Christine said...

Lovely art

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your art, especially the acorns. Your muse is gorgeous!

Sara said...

That salt technique is so fascinating. Can it be done on fabric too?

Shadows can certainly be interesting, and even misleading. I was outside last night and saw a person walking a dog along the sidewalk. Then I realized that the "dog" was a shadow of the walker being cast by a streetlight behind him.

Jean said...

Such lovely pieces! Love the salt and plastic wrap technique. Gorgeous background! The acorn is just lovely! Happy PPF!

Linda Kunsman said...

Always fun to try out new techniques. I do love your acorn piece especially. happy PPF!

Gillena Cox said...

Nice work. Happy PPF

much💛love

sonja said...

yes and with great results and surprises. thry it.

Norma Schlager said...

Good for you for trying all those ideas. You are very good! That video was amazing, altho I think she was using acrylics. I will have to try them when I get home.

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Same here, a bit of shrug on the salt technique. I like using it for fun and abstracts, but not on my paintings, really. Love that you are trying out new things, so much fun and lovely artworks, specially the acorns. Happy painting!

-Soma

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Your little acorns are so adorable! Very well done.