Saturday, March 13, 2021

sewing saturday

 

welcome to this week's sewing round up... since the computer is sick I've done a bit more studio time. The blocks above are quite large, and inspired by a show I had taped a year ago on Sewing with Nancy and not watched til this week!


I can't remember the presenter's name, but she said to use 3 pairs of 5" squares... face together. I used green scraps because of the RSC color of the month. Measure in 1 3/16th inch from top right and mark... measure in 1 3/16th inch from bottom left corner and mark. Connect these with a ruler and cut on that diagonal. Keep pieces together and sew not on diagonal but on straight sides, into three pairs. Press all seams open

Sew these together into the hexi, and instead of a circle like the presenter taught, I put a hexie in the center. After you arrange them, sew sides together from exact open seam to open seam so you can inset them all easily. 

I decided to put these together into this month's table scraps challenge.... they can stretch so be careful

I think I'll sew them with an envelop turn then quilt to finish the edges and stabilize them. The other blocks were so fast to make I caught up to have all three colors for the bigger RSC quilt for this year. 

along with these fun blocks, I made a gift for Joy (the joyful quilter) and bound it with rainbow fabric because she loves it! To do the binding, you cut a strip 1" (long enough to go around your quilt) put fusible on back, press in half, cut with pinking shears, fold over the raw edge and press (miter the corners) then top stitch. I use bright thread and zig zag stitch. 



It has all kinds of sewing things... scissor pattern by Lori Holt, fabric choices by me from the stash, hands for hand made, fabric bolts, quilting ladies show and tell, words, words of advice(keep calm and sew on) notions, and of course embellishments


it's bright in person, bright and happy and joyful

quilted with sparkly metallic thread

 

I got my round robin quilt bordered and basted for quilting... which means I made decisions on border fabric and backing fabric, and got it al squared up and pin basted... I also went thru my collected parts dept bin, and found some gems to work on soon too!!! why do things get shuttled off to the parts dept? 

LINKING TO

 can I get a whoop whoop Fridays 

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts
lovelaughquilt.mondays

14 comments:

Mary in Boulder said...

Cute piece!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Your hexies are great, I keep thinking I want to make some. The presenter was probably Judy Gauthier, and the pattern is in the book Rainbow Quilts for Scrap Lovers. I like your idea of having a hexagon in the center instead of a circle.

grammajudyb said...

What a fun “Joyful” little quilt! Fabulous! You are sooooo creative! Or as Joyful would say, Sew Creative! Happy Happy!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That scissors mini quilt is adorable! It looks like you had fun with it, and Joy is going to love it!

Sara said...

Joyful is a wonderful way to describe the feeling I get in looking at that scissors piece. It’s so cute and will look wonderful hanging in a sewing room.

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE those new blocks, LeeAnna!! That little mini is SEW cute!!!!!! What a lucky friend to receive such a darling little quilt. :o))

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
Those huge hexis are so cool ! What a great way to use colour and hexis !
Cute mini bolts of fabric fabric :) Mini quilt is great!
hugs,
Joanne

scraphappy said...

What a fun quilt. The rainbow zig zag is perfect. Such a fun way to make hexagons -- they look great.

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Love that rainbow binding.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

What a special gift for Joy. I am sure she loves it!

I love love love those hexies. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Scrapatches said...

Your sewing is lovely, Hope your computer trouble is over. I particularly like the blocks with the hexie centers. The rainbow binding is perfect! ... :) Pat

Preeti said...

Your blocks fascinate me, LeeAnna. I am going to try this technique. I have been playing/trying a lot lately. There are a few orphan blocks/audition blocks quilts in my future from all the trials. Love your round robin quilt. How big is it?

Rebecca Grace said...

I am in love with your hexie blocks; especially those little baby hexies at the centers! And those scissors are just scissorlicious as well.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Very cute! This will bring her much joy. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.