Tuesday, March 23, 2021

a delish cake and T is for Tuesday

 

It's Tuesday so I am joining my friends at T is for Tuesday where we share our week, our drinks, and work from our hands. The pic above is from our 27" snowfall last week, yesterday we had another 4" or so and more today predicted. Did I mention it's Spring? 

On  Sunday we made two desserts for the week, using fruit going bad on the counter. 

We started cooking at lunch by making chicken souvlaki's with leftovers for lunch on Monday. 

 


First up was pear tart with oatmeal crumble on top. Only two pears were usable so we cut the recipe in third... we've made this before and it's so good, with vanilla ice cream. recipe

Then we used our bananas and my old recipe for banana cake from Regis (Loooooong ago) 

banana cake with chocolate icing

 It calls for chocolate chips but our chips are made without soy (lecithin) and taste less than great, so we left those out and topped the finished cake with chocolate icing from a different recipe! 

Banana Chocolate chip without the choc. chips cake       350 deg oven   9X13" buttered pan

2 Cups all purpose Flour                                   1/3 cup butter softened
1 teasp baking powder                                       2-3 large mashed bananas
1/2 teasp. baking soda                                        1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teasp. salt                                                      2 eggs (egg whites for me)
                                                                            1 tsp vanilla
                                                                            1/2 cup sour cream or yogurt
sift/stir together flour, BP, soda, and salt,  set to side
in the mixer's bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in bananas then eggs and vanilla.
Mix in flour mixture, then stir in sour cream. 
Pour into prepared pan, level, and bake 45-50 minutes
in the past I've substituted buttermilk for sour cream, and applesauce for 1/2 of the butter, but not this time!
When done, let cake cool and make the icing
 
in stove top sauce pan, melt 6 TBSP butter with 1/4 Cup of cocoa stirring til disolved. After smooth, remove from med heat and let cool in a clean mixing bowl for a bit. Add 1 and 1/2 cups powdered sugar alternating with 2-3 TBSP of cream til smooth and irresistible! when cake is cooled frost and try to wait til after dinner to taste!

next up,  what I've been making. 

and listening to books on audio, taking lessons from Karen Abend's teacher line up on Sketchbook Revival, and looking out at snow. 

Drinking a mix of cinnamon/green teas cold, and these

Milo has become super defensive when he hears a cork pop... oy vey

Milo: whaaaaa  I'm just over here playing with my birthday ring toy Mama.... and tea doesn't make any noise just sayin'

Linking with

T stands for Tuesday... like a "drink' post

21 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Fun post, great food! Happy T Day, Valerie

Let's Art Journal said...

Such wonderful photos and it looks like you've been busy baking those yummy treats and those bunnies that you made are super sweet 😁. Milo is adorable, wishing him a Happy Birthday! Happy T Day wishes! Hugs, Jo x

J said...

Your baking looks delicious and those bunnies are gorgeous, so cute. I do like your sketchbook.
Happy birthday to Milo.
Happy T Day
Jan S

Linda Kunsman said...

Oh you poor thing with all that snow:( Makes for perfect baking and arts and crafts though! Your desserts look wonderful. I plan on watching a few of those Sketchbook videos later;) Milo is so handsome looking.
Hope you soon get some Spring weather. Happy T Day!

Divers and Sundry said...

The food looks delicious! So much snow! We're having highs in the 60sF here lol Happy T Tuesday!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Those desserts look fabulous and Milo, it's okay, you're not getting corked pal.

Mae Travels said...

Your rabbit family looks very contented on their rattan settee. I can't tell the scale: are they human sized or is the settee a miniature?

be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Patti said...

Any chance of getting the recipe for the pear dish???

Sara said...

Your banana cake recipe sounds delicious. I hope your snow is now done for the season and spring actually shows up to stay.

My name is Erika. said...

Your baking looks yummy. I've never made pear crisp, but pears are so yummy so it's a good idea. I like the photo of Milo at the bottom. Funny he doesn't like the sound of corks popping. But I love his expression. Hope your snow is done and you had a wonderful T day. Hugs-Erika

LA Paylor said...

I put the recipe in, I had to go looking as I'd put it on the blog before... spruce eats warm spiced pear crisp

Kate Yetter said...

Your bakes look delicious but the pear tart sounds like something I want to try. I am off to look at the recipe.
Your bunnies are so pretty.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

DVArtist said...

Sorry for all of the snow. That is just too much. LOL Your bake goods look wonderful though. Stay warm.

easyweimaraner said...

we will try that recipe that sounds great!!!!

CJ Kennedy said...

So sorry about your snow! I'm afraid that will happen to us as we sometimes get dumped on in March. Mother Nature is teasing us with nice weather, but it feels like waiting for the other shoe to drop. Speaking of shoe, the purple Mary Janes with the bunny family are so adorable. Love the bunnies in their Easter best. Your quiltlet is gorgeous too. I like that quote. Wish you lived closer. The banana cake and/or pear tart would make a great breakfast. Happy T Day

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I have been unable to get on the internet for over half a day. I was sick with despair. I couldn't figure out what the problem was. It wasn't my computer. My internet showed it was on. However, any blog I tried to visit, I got an error.

I was SO glad to see you had joined us for T this week, even though I was not able to visit you right away. I have been watching your snow, but more important, the horror that has been happening in Boulder.

I wish I'd known about your cake when I had a few pears go bad recently. They were the most expensive pears in the world, since I allowed them to go to waste. And I always have bananas that are either too green or nearly mush (grin).

I signed up for the Sketchbook revival, but haven't had a chance to see any of the videos yet.

Looks like you are celebrating. Your pink sparkling wine looks good. Thanks for sharing your recipes, your bunnies, Milo in the snow, and your sparkling wines with us for T this Tuesday, dear. Again, sorry this took so long. I'm just glad I didn't get an error message this time.

Norma Schlager said...

Did you make those adorable bunnies?

Norma Schlager said...

Whoops! Just went back to the previous post where you talked about how you made the bunnies. They are so cute!

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Love your projects, both the edible and non-edible ones. Milo looks soooo cute 'frosted' by spring snow. Stay warm. Next week should be more of the kind of spring we can all enjoy.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh my! You have been busy! I hope Spring comes soon for you! Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

Sharon Madson said...

Love your bunnies.:) Your recipes all sound good. I love making banana butterscotch bread. I love pears, so will have to remember this pear crisp. Thanks for a great T Day post.