Friday, May 3, 2019

Interview with an artist "beading"


We went to the Rocky mountain bead bazaar this weekend.
Yep, extra husband points for Drew!
It was overwhelming, but I managed to purchase two cabochons (see above) so I can learn how to do bead embroidery. The iron pyrite is for healing, the face for love, I love faces!!
I won a ring kit too...
as we looked around I was stopped in my tracks at this artist's booth
youtube video about classes
Diane used to be a swarovski crystal representative and boy did her booth sparkle! She is a designer who teaches, sells patterns, and her work. She sparkles too!

It's rare for us to meet another couple who we could be instant friends with, but Diane and Bob were so  interesting, and we all had a lot in common. I asked if I could do a mini-interview with her and she agreed.

Me: what condition is your studio in at the moment?
artist: a mess (lol, everyone says that!)
She and her husband share a large studio space but when your art is your business one must be organized.

Diane never lacks ideas for new techniques and designs. Her husband laughed and said on the drive to this show, she came up with several. I asked what takes an idea from concept to actually making it?
I am very interested in this concept and ask most artists but it's not an easy question. Most people think about it and it comes down to that magical spark.

 I agree. For me, The idea that comes in the night, sneaking into dreams..,, or in the shower, or on a walk. It's so cool one must make it! Dropping what you might be in the middle of, at an odd hour, when you're on your way out the door... stop the presses and make it.

Diane said it can be a color combination she sees, or landscape, or a shape she wants to interpret in beads.

I asked her husband what it's like for him being married to an artist. He laughed and said he is an artist too, so he understands her drive. After a lifetime as a teacher, he turned his creativity to making lures, and supporting his wife's business.

How do you organize your supplies, I asked. He was a science teacher, and was aware of a certain type of specimen jar, so they ordered many of these, and trays from staples that stack. They keep a spreadsheet of items that are stored by type of bead, and color.http://dianehertzler.blogspot.com/2014/01/one-solution-to-bead-storage-problems.html

Wouldn't you just love to see her studio space? I would.
the underside of the first bracelet!

I asked what are her roadblocks and how does she overcome them.
She replied that a cross country move with downsizing has thrown her off balance for the last couple of years. Don't I know it! All the changes, the letting go of your possessions, the physical moving of what's left and finding new places to store it, learning new roads and finding new networks... it's difficult.
That said, I was surprised to see two new really exciting classes she's developed and the jewelry is astounding.
these bracelets are two sided... note the geese inside are background color and outside colors.
She seemed to have worked through the stress!
I asked if she worked in her studio at a table or where? She likes to work in a tray on her lap while watching tv.
Me too.
I asked how she goes from a lovely object to pattern, and teaching. She says it's the most difficult part, drawing diagrams, deciding how to word a pattern, and prefers to do multi day classes but is often called on to do a 6 hour class.
I can relate, it's all the same for me. It takes a long time to pace out a class, to do step out examples, to figure out how to present skills in order so that the student feels a sense of mastery when they leave.
inspired by petroglyphs

My husband and hers had a lovely conversation about teaching, and I was reminded of my Berlitz training before I began teaching there.
Lead the student to knowledge.

As if the show and meeting Diane weren't exciting enough, I received a birthday gift from my friend Cindy. A total surprise! She is a beader and quiltmaker, a pattern designer and a creative.
I love her and our friendship which makes living in different states very hard.
Want to see a little of what she sent me? I had told her earlier that I wanted to learn how to do cabochons and bead embroidery, so lookie here:
Beads! Shared from her precious stash! Fireline thread, cabochon stabilizer backing,
a beautiful instruction book for a new to me technique, a cool necklace and bracelet combo, a lavalier necklace with a gorgeous crystal dangle. A poodle picture from a craft show. And more.

I have been painting lately, and drawing because of the online workshop I am taking.
but it may be time to do some beading! Wanna come over and bead with me?

Linking to these parties
https://paintpartyfriday.blogspot.com/

14 comments:

easyweimaraner said...

love what he said... it#s a kind of art to live with an artist, absolutely!!!

Christine said...

nice painting and good interview.

Sara said...

I've never done any beading but enjoy seeing the end results. Years ago I had a Native American student who worked on beaded moccasins one whole semester, whenever she had down time at school.

Angie in SoCal said...

Beading is one of many crafts that I haven't tried, but I do like the wonderful colors and the beauty they produce. Very creative. I've been lax in my Thursday postings as life is a whirl here. I'm looking forward to June when school will be over and I can retire from storytelling at the parish school. I love doing it and the kids, but other duties are calling me. Love you painting.

Julierose said...

I have done a bit of beading--that'll slow one down for sure!! ;))
But I enjoyed it...and I bead on my crazy quilt blocks...I do want to explore more for beading on quilts...I made a little beaded icon for my Mom to put on her nightstand at the nursing Home...and that was really fun --I have the book "Beading For the Soul", which is full of lovely projects...hugs, Julierose

Katie Jeanne Wood said...

Never tried beading, but I find it intriguing. It looks like it would take a lot of patience. I like your house painting. :)

sirkkis said...

Beautiful beading and lovely house painting.
Happy PPF 🧡

BarefootThunder said...

I would love to come bead with you. It's been a long while. I bet we could teach each other a few things.
Those flying geese bracelets are beautiful. Well... It all is.

Sandee said...

You are most talented.

Have a fabulous day and weekend. Scritches to Milo. ♥

Mary in Boulder said...

Nice interview!

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

You will have so much fun creating your beaded jewellery it's a beautiful craft and a pleasure to wear once finished.
Lovely painting! Happy PPF Tracey

Beth Niquette said...

I adore your beaded jewelry--and the painting is enchanting.

Norma Schlager said...

Your painting is lovely and I love that face cabochon. Nice interview!

Tails Around the Ranch said...

What a charming interview with a fellow artist. Looks like this bead festival hit all the right tones for you.