Saturday, May 20, 2017

Abstract in Green

The challenge at RSC this month is to use your greens scraps.
My challenge is to sew at all, what with deck replacement noise and a "peeing-poodle-puppy"  who wants to be with me in the studio.

(three peeing episodes within 24 hours in the studio. And yes he was let outside and peed there too. )
(we'll get thru this)


This week I planned to sew free cut curves into basic leaf curves and actually finish a small work.
Life had other plans. So here's what's been accomplished

... I sewed smaller pieces because that took less concentration. I still had to choose pattern and colors, angles and how to put the mosaic together.


strips seemed  boring
In two sessions I sewed these sections and decided to put them in one piece. See the divide there? I needed to decide how to curve piece it.
well, the join is centered, not great for artwork. Still I like the way some fabrics continued the lines across the join, I liked the leaf shapes coming and going, and I am happy anything got sewn. Scraps were used.

Next, you must decide where to trim it. My thought is to border with a thin strip of set in squares of green. Before that I needed an even edge. That's a choice too when you are doing improv work.
Next up is deciding orientation

What if I make the join a stem??? This is a little brown scrap but I'd make a longer one. Like that...
Or this way?
Or the other way with another addition...
or two
or a poodle is always appropriate!

want to see what I've done with it now??? visit this post


25 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Amazing how your piece looks like something different every time you turn it! Hope today is better with the peeing poodle puppy!

sonja said...

you had me a green!i love love greens. green is everywhere, the supporting cast for the brilliant hues of flower stars !! ON your green piece... what if you made a third element perhaps thinner piece perpendicular into the center/of center?Sure hope puppy pads are on sale in your town!

Julierose said...

I like the vertical setting and a poodle is totally awesome--(peeing in the grass--maybe?? hahaha). Hang in there--he'll
get it soon...hugs, Julierose

Tails Around the Ranch said...

You can never go wrong with a poodle. 🐩

PaulaB quilts said...

I like the poodle, who becomes the focal point. The divide then appears to be the edge between yard and tall shrubs. Great assortment of piecing to begin with.

Maria said...

Well the purple poodle just snuck right in and is pawsomely appropriate!

Ann said...

So interesting to see the changes with each placement. You are so brave with your improv.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Abstract in GREEN... sounds like a VERY important work of art. Hope you had FUN, too!! :o))

claudia said...

I wish I could sew. My heart broke about two weeks ago and it may be a while before I can do anything constructive or a resemblance of it. I knew sewing would help, I also know mowing a five acre lawn would be great therapy, but I have sunk into a funk and can't find my way out.
Your art lifted my spirits and made me think I could be doing that as well. Maybe there is some hope.

Joanne said...

Looks good LeeAnna!
all this creative work with distracions all around!

Kaja said...

Seems this can be whatever your imagination wants it to be. I thought straightaway it looked landscape-y and your different additions all added to that feel, like a big garden in a stately home.

Kathy said...

Join in the middle? Cut it again, off center! Love the poodle, but love the wedges more! And the brown stem idea would work well, too. Very creative use of your green scraps, as always!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Cool piece! Keep the faith, it's got to get better. Right? Right? right? :)

PaintedThread said...

Pretty, pretty! And I like the poodle.

gayle said...

Love the landscape-y aspect of it! With the wedge flowers, it looks like an unsupervised garden tucked away near the woods.

Susan said...

This looks so cool LeeAnna! I'm going to have to do curves on my next scrap project - thanks for the inspiration!

Sharon said...

Good piece! This does look very landscape-y. How about adding some big splashy flowers?

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Amazing how this has evolved! I seem to have a mental block working in green, something I must try more!

JanineMarie said...

Every time I scrolled to the next picture, I thought, "Oh, that's the way I like it." Really, they all work so well. I'll keep my favorite to myself because I know you'll do something wonderful. And then the poodle on the last one--at least he's outside should he feel the need to pee!!

Ann said...

Oh, LeeAnna,I'm so glad you linked this with AHIQ. It's so original, and thoughtful, and brave! Lots of good points for us all and inspiring results.

Kaja said...

Looking at this again, because you linked with AHIQ, I think that the second version, with the wedge-shaped additions, looks like rhododendron bushes.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Wonderful improv blocks. And to be this creative while dealing with a peeing poodle puppy (somehow I just love saying that) is amazing! All will be well soon I hope. In the meantime, thanks for linking up to Wednesday Wait Loss!

Carli The Quilter said...

Very fun following of your improv in curves. I think its very exciting what you are working on!

Monica said...

The poodle is definitely my favourite! It puts everything in perspective somehow. :D

quiltedfabricart said...

I do love the curves. Can you recommend a tutorial on how to do them? I want to try the improv curves as it looks like a lot of fun.
Are you crate training? I've never had to since I always get the rescues already trained so no advice but I've heard the crate training works. I don't know if I could put them in it though. Your right, this to shall pass :-)