Thursday, February 5, 2015

parallel play



What a fun afternoon spent with my fellow art quilter Steph.  (click for her website)

We have always had fun together, making stuff. We like to play. We like ink and paint, and thread and applique.We like humor and stories, and never run out of stuff to talk about.
 I had a lot to do today at home but the siren song of friendship was too much to ignore!!

I took some show and tell, a few stamps, and a new book to show her. She shared  her latest work, brought out her paints/inks and stamps and we started to play.





This was made with a rubber stamp, on white fabric. Then I used tsukineko ink pens to color it in and shade it.
Pretty.

I used some of my love stamps and some of hers, some of my ink pads and some of hers to make smitten.
Several stamps together, and colored in with pens. She asked what I will do with it.
I'm not sure but I will use it. When I play I don't stop to think what to make later...
Stephanie wanted some opinions on two pieces she's making.

I have opinions!!

We ended up shading one of her pieces with ink, and discussing options on a tote bag. It is always fun to collaborate on projects with her.

I imagine if we met as little girls, we'd have been coloring together, shoes off, giggling.

She enjoys making garments as well as quilts (and other art projects) so we discussed a batik for a top.
Clothing, stamping, sewing, what's not to like?

I came home to see this post by   threadingmyway.
It is about using vintage clothing patterns.
Vintage, like from MY childhood, lol.
She pointed out the tiny waists and I remember having to adjust patterns to my more athletic build.  Waist slightly larger in relation to hips.
I said I made my clothes thru high school, but it's much easier now to fit a bed.
It's basically a rectangle, but then so am I now!! smile.

Steph has two adorable cats that love me as I love them. I'm allergic to them but I love them.

Here's a short story, about her cat PJ who resembles the kliban cats from the 70's

and  he came running to me when I got there today. He immediately looked me in the eyes, and began rubbing against my legs. Uh oh, allergy city. He was put out to play and screamed at the door til we let him back in. He immediately ran to me, put his tiny front paws on my knee and looked into my eyes again.
Reluctantly I said no, I couldn't pet him but he should know how much I love and admire him.

 He left the room, but came back when I opened the ink pad. Very interested thinking it might be a treat.
So cute. Again, I was forced to say, no, it's not food, lovey. Dejectedly he ate some kibble and left the room again.
A bit later he returned wrapping around my leg again, and I had to say, "PJ... you know I love you right? I can't pet you but I love you. I'm allergic and must not play with you." He looked deeply into my eyes, and slowly turned around and left the room with no more contact.

I am reminded of my neighbor's daughter sitting with me on my front porch while Cole played in the yard.
She solemnly asked, "Miss LeeAnna, do you really think he understands you?"

I smiled and said, he does, every word. And he does. And so did PJ.
Luckily they understand English as I don't speak cat or dog.
I came home to chores and unfinished projects and was smiling because I got to connect with my friend today. And her cat.

17 comments:

PugMom said...

Looks like a great play date! Was Mr. Cole jealous when he smelled kitty cat?

LA Paylor said...

poor cole isn't feeling well enough to be jealous. He followed me into the back of the house and wanted to snuggle. Then went outside to lay on his bed in 25 deg. LA

Jasmine said...

So much fun to play with a friend. I have a neighbor I call when I need an immediate opinion. She loves to quilt but is too busy at this time, or I'd love to do more with her.

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna!
What a nice energetic creative read to start the weekend!
Thanks!
Play! I The handwork weekend stats today!
I don't know how it is when you go on a weekend retreat, but here, the hobby room and dining table and area have more space!
Take care,
Joanne

Joanne said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna!
What a nice energetic creative read to start the weekend!
Thanks!
Play! I The handwork weekend stats today!
I don't know how it is when you go on a weekend retreat, but here, the hobby room and dining table and area have more space!
Take care,
Joanne

Cathy said...

Love your stamp work. So pretty.

Pat .F in Winnipeg said...

Oh! Playing with like-minded people can be so stimulating! Haven't played with my stamps for ages! /gotta give that a try.
Pat f in Winnipeg

Martha Ginn said...

Love the cat story! I have a quilting friend who loves my cats and enjoys picking up and petting each one when she comes over. They don't understand why everyone who comes here isn't so affectionate. . . like the oven repair guy yesterday who didn't stop to pet Elizabeth until she leapt up onto his back while he was bent over. Play dates with friends are like mini-retreats!

Martha Ginn said...

Forgot to say that my Elizabeth looks just like Kliban.

Jenn @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge said...

Some lovely experimenting going on! Thanks for linking up with TGIFF!

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

How wonderful!! A perfect play date! That is so sweet of you to love the little kitty even though you are allergic to them.

-Soma

Snowcatcher said...

I think shading fabric with pens would be a really fun project. I love stamps but have not done that in way too long! Creating with friends (and their cats) is fun, too!

Kaja said...

How lucky you are to have a quilting friend close enough to meet up for play. It sounds like the best kind of fun and I love your pretty bits. I've always assumed cats and dogs understand us, it's just that they often choose to ignore what we say (especially cats!)

AlidaP said...

Such a fun story! And sure they understand everything! Cats and dogs understand humans much better than many humans I know ;)
Thanks for linking up on my blog!!

Glenda said...

Thanks LeeAnna for a lovely blog today I'm sitting here with a smile on my face so your joy today is contagious LOL You have set my mind racing using the stamps, I have so many from a past life LOL but this would be fun with my DGD's. Cheers Glenda PS thanks for the links too.

Kate said...

Beautiful stamped pieces, I love those blue birds.

I really enjoyed your kitty story. I'm allergic to cats and always feel bad to have to turn away my mom's cats.