Saturday, May 18, 2024

being creative with fabric and paint... and cake

 

It's been a difficult week... but even so there are a few things I was able to do creatively so I'll share them here today. 

The first is a sketchbook painting, a self portrait of sorts. 

If I was Queen, you've all heard that phrase. I tried to paint someone sticking out their tongue in disgust. 

ever feel like that? 

I had a very painful week, making sewing difficult so I sort of planned my feathered star hoping next week I can sew at the machine

I sewed on a border or two on this

I sewed on my Fall hexie star, and made this with the leftover hexies

pink scraps for RSC color of the month
I hand embroidered a few flower petals, quilted it onto felt,

it's to be a coaster, or in today's lingo, a mug rug. It's up for grabs. Who needs a little love? Let me know if you want a symbol of my love for you, and since I have to mail it from home, it has to be someone in the US this time. 

I think I'll add some hexies to this piece, remember it? 

as I said, life felt chaotic this week

my sketchbook, just crossing stripes of colors, then some inks... yep...

two more sketchbook pages. The one on the left was to ink curvy lines, then paint over. It looks different when viewed longwise. I kind of see a woman's torso

these came from the prompts on this video...

easy and interesting, zen to watch paint dance on paper, and doodled with ink


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scdIXhyKobU

 that's it for this week aside from making up a recipe for my birthday cake...Black forest style

linking with these folk


design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts

https://songbirddesigns.blog/

finished or not

https://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com/

https://beadwright.blogspot.com/

art for fun Fridays 



16 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

Happy belated birthday. I saw cake in the title and I had to look-grin. So much fun and lovely art this week.I love the quilting with the solid colors. It's beautiful. hugs-Erika

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I really enjoyed watching that video -- I'll check out more of her content and tips, thanks! You may have had a physically painful week, but you had an artistically beautiful week!

Tigger's Mum said...

Love the contrasts in the pair of sketchbook pages -some nice freedom going on there.

sonja said...

The sketchbook watercolor 7 venues was grand. My coffee went cold!
Like like your yellow quilt piece a lott.
art heals.

Sara said...

Happy birthday! I hope you have a less pain-filled week. Your paintings are lovely, especially those botanical pieces. The hexies added to that improve quilt will be a terrific addition.

I've had the red hexie mug rug you made me a couple years ago on my desk since before Christmas, and just this week switched it out for a different one. It will definitely come out again as red is my favorite color.

Karrin Hurd said...

Happy belated Birthday! Great projects you are working on!

Kathleen said...

Happy birthday, dear Leeanna! I am sorry for the pain and wish I could stop by share a bottle of bubbly of one kind or another and a piece of lovely cake. I remain humbled by what you continue to do amidst the pain...beautiful art again...especially the flower and line work!

Kim said...

Happy Birthday to you, Leeanna♡ You are always so brave to push through your many difficulties and pain, to create beautiful art. You are an inspiration!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Happy birthday dear Leeanna! This cake looks yummy! Your art of the week is gorgeous again, a lot of small and pretty steps, enough to enjoy your creative times. Hugs.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Happy Birthday! Your rug mug is a great way to use the extra hexies!

grammajudyb said...

Oh no! I missed sending greetings for your birthday! The cake looks yummy!

Granny Annie said...

Love the face...

Gillena Cox said...

Wow!! The wster colours ate beautiful. You fabric art is always amaxing.
Thanks for linking to Art For Fun Friday

Much♡love

DVArtist said...

Happy belated birthday and I am so sorry you are in pain. Art sees me through it most of the time. You certainly got a lot done. I really love your, "if I was Queen. Very cool. Thank you for joining FFO and have a wonderful weekend.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Happy birthday! So sorry you were not feeling up to a big celebration. Yet you pushed past the pain and created such lovlies! I especially love the Amish inspired piece you are adding hexies too. Those colors are so perfect together! What a great artist's eye you have. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/05/22/wednesday-wait-loss-381

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Your cake looks yummy!!! Happy Birthday - I hope you are feeling better this week. I still think you get an amazing amount done each week - and its all so varied.