Thursday, May 2, 2024

I Like Thursday # 400

 

welcome to this week's list of likes... starting with pretty skies

and audio books..

.try to get it on audio, the reader's accent is magical  and I am enjoying the lyrical writing, the concept, the layers of meaning... 

 
a recent painting

 Watching on TV

mostly there are competition shows, and I like them. I was relieved Boston Rob remained on Deal or no deal Island, or I'd have lost interest. So you think you can dance has changed for the worse, American Idol is sending home kids at an alarming rate. First of all why rush when there is nothing to replace the show when the season ends... The only drama left for me is the good doctor and the dvr'd Elsbeth. We just finished the way home, a wonderful dive into traveling though time to the family farm. They are up for another season. 

I am HOOKED on the traitor. Watched the American version both seasons, the British version ( both) and am now into the Australian version... 

Thank you!

My friend Pat from NY (Miss Pat) sent me a giftie... how perfect is this for me??!

Sweet embroidered flamingo chorus line, enamel flamingo pin, wrapped in a swatch of flamingo fabric

so thoughtful, I love it Pat!  (I'm the flamingo in the middle of them, with her mouth open)


Our prompt this week... tell us about your name

LeeAnna means : a combination of the Old English name Lea, meaning "meadow," and Anna, meaning " grace" and "favor." Together, it can translate to "graceful meadow," making it a lovely

The story goes, one grandmother was Anna Lee and the other one Mae, plus there had been a Miss America called Lee Ann. Put them in a blender to get Lee Anna (May) and the early family called me LeeAnn. Annoyingly in school people messed it up calling me LouAnn which I just detested for me.

By  university I was requesting people call me Lee Anna and introduced myself that way, upsetting the family. It was prettier, my real name, and I wanted it. Sometimes I must remind adults it has an A on the end. 

There is a latin name called Lianna like the flowering vine. 

People spell it so many ways, Leigh, Li, LeAnna, etc. I hate when people shorten it to Lee not at all like me. 

When I was about age 4 or 5 I asked to be called Ann, and only my middle sister's mother-in-law called me that and I adored her for it. Then about age 6 I wanted to be Barbara. As an adult I found out my birth mother (named Barbara) had lunch with my Aunt and I one day, unbeknownst to my adopted mother who had an angry fit. Must have made her angrier to hear me fall in love with the name. 

long story shortened... 

When my middle sister turned age 50 she informed me she wanted a different name from Patty. I suggested several and she eventually changed to Patti with an "i" I had a college friend who totally changed his mundane name for an exotic folk singer style name, like maybe panther/cougar/lion 

Have you ever thought about changing your name? What does your name mean?

 On Youtube

wonderful... this guy usually plays for animals in the sanctuary but this is just him singing one of my favorite songs... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A6ATF7ZMio

 

I Named My Dog 5 Miles So I Can Tell People I Walk 5 Miles Every Day: Funny  Dog Journal Lined Paper
 

Milo's Moment

Milo here, hiya! I don't know how I got my name, but Mama does. I know if my people are saying the word "he" it means me, doesn't sound like Milo but it's always about me! and my middle name is "Mommy's baby" said with a singsong voice and I can't help but wag my tail when I hear it. 

I run for the safety of my crate when I hear, "MILO Paylor" in that tone of voice 

it snowed here one day, and has been hot the other days, and Daddy played in the grass without me 

daddy: planting grass plugs that are supposed to be strong against dog pee

Mama: Milo's name came from Milo Ventimillia the actor... and the movie, Milo and Otis. My poodle cole was named for Cole Porter (because he was jazzy) Chelsea my labradaughter was named for the character in "on Golden Pond" 

so Milo-baby do you like your name? 

Milo: finally gets back to me, on my segment, harumph, but I like it when you say it sweetly followed by "I LOVE youuuuuuu"
 

Please visit these folk to see what they liked this week

https://wordweaverart.blogspot.com/
https://tentoesinthewater.blogspot.com/ 

https://canadianneedlenana.blogspot.com/  

grammajudyb.blogspot.com

https://comfortspiral.blogspot.com/


 
   LINKING WITH 

               friday smi
 
 

20 comments:

Dandy Duke said...

I love your name and its story.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I'm enjoying "Elsbeth" too! I love quirky characters like that!

Sara said...

The gift of flamingo fun stuff was very sweet of your friend. She knows you well. I hated my name growing up because the only other Sara I knew was one of my grandma's cousins. And she was OLD, so I always felt it was an old lady name. LOL I don't mind it now, but do have to correct how it's spelled quite often.

I've really enjoyed Amazing Race this season. Survivor has been ok, but I got so tired of the whining by a couple of participants. I feel like they've spent way too much time filming the whining. But they've had some interesting challenges.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It's always frustrating when people mispronounce your name! I get Dee-ann a lot, and I wonder what's so hard about Di(as in the sound of an i!)ann! Letters from Skye sounds like a good story - I just put it on hold at the library. Happy Thursday!

Helen said...

Yes, only hanging on with Deal or No Deal to keep an eye on Rob!
Absolutely loving Letters from Skye!
I get it, not wanting people to shorten your name to the first syllable, Lee. But, I'm afraid that I win that round... Helen... Ummm... No thanks for being called Hel.
Ha ha ha ha

Cloudia said...

Aloha, Milo! Cloudia is from Clodia I believe, an ancient Roman name. It also has cloud in it. 🌺

Mari said...

Mari rhymes with sorry, which I am not, because I was named for my grandmothers. Been fighting the 'Marie, Maria, Mary' thing my whole life. Still not sorry! Love the nature picture at the top!

Joanne said...

Congratulations ! 400 Thursdays !
So much creativity shared ! Inspiring so many people ! Great job !

Angela said...

What a fun giftie! Love the flamingos!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Love the relax on the beach art and the pretty flamigos too. That is interesting about your name and yours too Milo. Milo, you're looking mighty handsome!

sonja said...

I'm in for the good doctor.
i always wanted a more American name like Shelly or Tracy back in jr high.
My mom gave me "Sonja " as in the Russian song she liked at the time, 1940ish. "Sonja,Sonja with you blackish hair" i like my name now as it is a form of Sophia, which reflects wise ness or wisdom...somewhat exotic hehehe! now my hair is white and when i look at my hands, i see my mom's hands..

Congrats on 400 posts! i enjoy your sharing of your art journey from studio to kitchen, you are "bitchin' " (we used that word before "far out" came about to describe something or someone as "awesome")
I love the " mustache animal-loving guitar guy "
that i can't recall his front name just now....
have a colorful and sweet weekend. sonja

MissPat said...

I'm glad you like the flamingo gifts. Every time I see a flamingo item, I think of you. But when in FL, I quickly decided I couldn't buy you every single flamingo I saw. Sorry the spammers seem to have found your blog.

Pat

Babajeza said...

I've never wanted to change my name "Regula". It's a name only known in Switzerland because it goes back to a Saint in Zurich, who had been beheaded due to her belief.

I remember when a person unknown to me explained to me where my name comes from.

It's a latin name meaning "little queen".

When I was in Canada for a while, people used to link my name to regular gas. They were wrong. ;-)

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Thank you for sharing all about your name and the names of pets too. I watch a you tube lady who also names her pets people names like I do. She has a cat called Ian and it so suits him. I've made note of Traitors...sounds like our kind of show. Ned also goes by Nedders, Nedster, Neddy,etc. though he prefers just plain Ned.

Annie said...

I'm just home from the funeral planning....emotionally exhausting but I feel it went well. I'm Ann really but all my best friends call me Annie and I love it. I was named after my grandmother who lived to 100 and was much loved by all.
Hugs,
Annie x

Jody said...

I love your name and fully understand how meaningful our names are to us. My parents thought it a good idea to lumber with a name I detest as my first name (named after my grandma, and I have 0 fond memories of her other than she could make a mean pie) and use my middle name. You'd have thought they would have put them in the right order as my Dad was similarly afflicted. I keep thinking I should change the order but then all the other legal documents would have to be changed. At this point in my life I am thinking it might not be worthwhile.
Also, did you know there is a Canadian version of The Traitors? I watched it when it was on, not sure it is a must watch for me or not. Currently watching Big Brother Canada though.
Have a wonderful weekend!
hugs,
jody

PaintedThread said...

Interesting story about your name. I was named Sally (not Sarah) and grew up being the only Sally around for quite a while (there's a lot of them, though, in the dancing community!).

Angie said...

Lee Anna - I love reading these stories about names!!! Maybe it comes from a career spent in human resources, but I have always tried really hard to say and spell people's names properly!

Enjoying our UK visit - always fun to see our friends and spend time with my in-laws! Thanks for hosting!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I'm sure Milo is much loved and he knows it. Hugs Angela xXx

Michelle said...

I have been watching the first season of Project Runway on Youtube. Watched it many years ago and loved it. I'm not very good about watching regular tv anymore. Thanks for linking up and Milo is looking handsome as ever.