Saturday, April 13, 2024

my creative week... yellow fabric art and watching paint dry

 

I have two main projects for rainbow scrap challenge this year... the EPP project shown above is one of them. I'll be doing one each in scraps from that month's color, this month it's yellow.

got the idea from https://thecraftycreek.com/2023/07/16/owl-and-hare-hollow-hqal-2/.

I really enjoy english paper piecing...
 
four epp circles done... haven't decided what color to put them on yet

here are three yellow scrap pieces I'm working on at the same time... the design wall is sunny! 


I'll be sharing them as they grow larger and more complex

 


I'm adding stips and fabrics each day, after pondering how each new addition might add or detract from the center circles. I love this one. Also love this fabric... and it's slightly off tone and too dark but I had to add it in...

and I love this one... see this week I sewed sections together, added in the row of houses at the bottom.

 


I loved finding that leaves scrap next to the geese unit, how it blended the color, continued the line, and balanced the whole thing. I added in an uncomfortably thin strip of tan with some light yellow pieced on, to the left side, because I wanted to continue the brownish lines... 

it's all made with itty bitty scraps, sewn one to another with no goal in mind, until it started taking shape... now each addition must add to the visual meaning for me so it's all slowed down. 

I know the houses are abstract, the whole thing is abstract. I struggle with doing meaningful abstracts and that's a good teaching tool for me... so... it continues

Painting on paper

I have a junk journal made with random printed copier papers I no longer wanted. It lives next to the computer, on top of my watercolor paints, ready to try ideas that come to me while having morning coffee. 

swaths of color, with inking over them. Trying patterns, and how they affect a drawing with those lines behind the flowers and around the printed circles. A quick doodle rose


 

 my painting friend Sonja in Hawaii, sent a fun video plus a photo of a pink shell, that I thought I'd do a quick study on. Well, I learned just how fast copier paper dissolves in water... and the abrasion of pens. 

next time I must get watercolor paper before trying something that will need shadow and work, and water...

but do I learn? I did a quick no inspiration paint on the junk journal another day. Just wash of some paint, which the back printed side came through...

the left side was a doodle, and the right side is just quickly painted with no plan

(I kind of like the affect) 

Then I added more and more and more

sketch over paint with black marker

a few hearts always appropriate as well as star earring

some handwriting for the top

time to evaluate and learn from it... things I like (paint, shadows, little tatoos and swarm of hearts) colors, it was quick maybe 15 min

don't like as much, her overbite... her nose, both too prominent 

it all came from my head pouring out through brushes with the paint laden water. 

overall success, turn the page, do something new tomorrow. 

 linking with


design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts

https://songbirddesigns.blog/

finished or not

https://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com/

https://beadwright.blogspot.com/







11 comments:

Sara said...

The yellow improv piece is definitely sunny and very pretty!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Those epp circles look like so much fun! And yes, watercolour paper would work better.

PaintedThread said...

Ooh - I love all these projects!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Oh, how I wish I enjoyed EPP. It's never been my thing to make, but I love it. Your EPP RSC blocks/elements are fabulous. Although color wash on copier paper is bound produce holes and abrasions to the paper, the effect is captivating.

Susie H said...

Your EPPs are beautiful. I just love the "color wheels"!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Your experiments of the week look fabulous! I love the yellow strips added to the abstract houses, such a sunny and lovely project! Your drawings and paintings are beautiful too, I love the shell, and the lady!
Thank you for sharing your art!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

What a unique EPP project!!! Makes me want to check it out!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

All your yellow projects are so cheerful. :)

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

I love seeing the epp pieces come together each month. Your design was is indeed bright and sunny this month. Fun to look at. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

DVArtist said...

Wow! I really love these. You are so talented and I love that you share with FFO. Have a wonderful weekend.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

I love coming here and seeing what you've come up with each week. You are so talented! Love, love, love the EPP blocks and the yellow improv is so cheerful! Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings!