Saturday, April 6, 2024

creativity this week... yellow study in fabric and in painting

 

this was actually a full week of creativity for me...I'd like to invite you into my world, my happy studio space. I love my sewing machine...  

When I'm stressed I like to sort fabric scraps then take the smallest of them to the machine and make order out of the chaos. My scraps are all shapes, all sizes, all color values and patterns. The focus color of April is yellow, so I pulled out the yellow scrap bin, and started sorting. 

In my bin was a bag of blocks, improv starts, left overs. A treasure chest! I started with the smallest bits and begin sewing one to the other, the bits growing with each addition, til it gets bigger than my biggest scrap in this pile. Then I start over, make another odd section... and another, til I had 5 sections. 

I start moving them around the table til they fit together, then sew sections together

I liked the geese but returned to the triangle scraps and made a section in yellow and browns

and learned it's okay to use just two fabrics to create a design. (More is better, excess is not enough is my usual mantra) Put the sewn square onto the design wall and pulled out larger scraps to see how a border might look... 

reevaluate... I like the repeated geese, I like the scrappy larger border strips, but... I don't want to use that pretty one in center right... it's too pretty for an experimental piece isn't it? But it fits, it looks good... 

I inserted another random pieced block into the boarder and like how it brings the chaos out. This is where I stopped for the day. I'm considering putting on final borders of one fabric, but not sure yet... 

I took the last of the tiny scraps to piece this long block... and decided it looks like a row of houses to me

dh came in at the end of the day to see what I'd been so involved in, and said he sees the houses! 

I also got inspired by some older improv drunkard path blocks in the bin... deciding I wanted more to go with them. I looked for my template set, 

but they weren't in their place... I ended up going thru a lot of stuff looking for them, found them obviously after the long search in the drawer above the one they live in, oy vey. But in searching I was reminded of templates, and rulers and things I'd like to make so it's all good! 

Ooooo I'm liking these, I had fun adding in that skinny 3/4" strip. Now what? The top three are slightly larger than the bottom three, but I just added in some coping strips and am thinking about that middle divider

and I'll wait til I get further along to show you the first border I chose, and an applique... but this one is exciting to me... which always comes with it's little friend, FOMU, (Fear of Messing Up) so I will take some time to find just the right shade of neutral gold or yellow or tan 

I started the week of yellow with my paint sets. Just done on copier paper printed on the other side and used for sketching. Two shades of yellow and one of yellow green became this... 

I liked the paper slightly dissolving and the words on the back peeking thru... 


a few inked lines, and another page in this junk journal is filled. I didn't even notice the page before it from weeks ago... I need healing

I've written several essays this week one of which is on Thursday's I Like post about my love of the beach... one was for my memoir about Granny's treadle machine  

I was forced to use creativity in meal prep to make things we'd like with what we had on hand. Not my favorite way to create but necessary. 

I am on lesson 7 of my Italian lessons... and try to use what I learn each day in real life. I speak. slowly. in. Italian. and comprehend slowly too... but dh reminded me I've only been doing it for a week... and I will get more comfortable. 

Not sure I'll ever roll my R's without a lot of effort, breath and spitting on anyone in front of me, lol

Italian phrase of the day,  " vorrei bere del vino perfavore"

Womens That What I Do I Read Books I Quilt And I Know Things V-Neck T-Shirt
from amazon

 

My mama quilts

linking with


design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts

https://songbirddesigns.blog/

finished or not

https://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com/

https://beadwright.blogspot.com/




13 comments:

Annie said...

I love the way you quilt. You get wonderful results….it’s very therapeutic isn’t it? Keep it up 😀
Hugs,
Annie x

Helen said...

I wonder... Does anyone ever actually use up scraps? It seems the more I "use up," the more I still have.

Sara said...

Isn't random piecing a nice stress reliever? And you end up with something pretty when you're done. Yellow has perked me up this week.

grammajudyb said...

I always like seeing strips of improv geese. Looking forward to what it will be! Like your flower drawing too! So subtle and calm! Hmmmm!

MissPat said...

Hmmm, yellow. Bring on the sunshine. And hoping for sunshine on Monday. We are in the path of totality for the eclipse. Sunshine is iffy around here in April.
Did you get a package this week? It was supposed to arrive on Tuesday.
Pat

Astrid said...

You've had a busy week, lots of creativity. Love what you're doing with your yellow scraps. Pretty yellow crumbs and drunkards path blocks. Pretty painting too. Italian is a beautiful language, isn't it, and the best is to practice speaking. And yes, we read, we quilt, we learn. True!

Angie in SoCal said...

Hmm. vorrei bere del vino perfavore = I would like some wine. ?
I'd like to learn Italian. Love your yellow improv blocks, especially the drunkard path ones. Amazing what you do. Blessings,

sonja said...

love the black cat/ quilt tee shirt. So like miss Ruby.
Your Mellow yellow concoctions are lovely!the circle one is amazing!!

Kaja said...

Such lovely yellows. I agree the circles are exciting and I also love your approach to using up your scraps.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Love, love, LOVE that YELLOW circle quilt in the works, LeeAnna! I find it interesting that the Color of the Month is making its was into your artwork, as well. Best of luck on bring these lovely creations to a finish this month!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Ooooooh, lovely yellow pieces! I love the flying geese, little houses, circles, all of them are beautiful! Love the painted flower too, pretty shades. You had a lot of fun playing with this colour ;)
Thank you for sharing your happy place!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love seeing all your yellow scrap play! I see houses, too - and those circle blocks are fun, too. Hope you're continuing to have fun with those pieces this week!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

I love your sunshiny happy yellow pieces! I am thrilled to think of what they might become. Great week playing with yellow. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss. https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/04/07/wednesday-wait-loss-375