Saturday, September 23, 2023

quilting art... this week's creativity round

 

welcome to this week's creativity round up... I spent more time with needle and thread this week. 

The turquoise/aqua color palette sang to me, of peace, comfort, soft beauty and clear skies. This little improvisational piece is finished, and fits my bedside table beautifully. 

it started with the 4 log cabin blocks... tiny scraps and color variations, one sewn to another, round and round then trim and sew the 4 blocks together. I had little triangles in the box, so those were done in an improvisational way. Flying Geese.

I wanted color balance  so I continued to add triangles from the white/beige box. There! They are just about long enough to go with the center. Add in two turquoise scraps following the curves of the geese

lots probably too much quilting for a 12" X 20" piece and it's done. Bind with another strip from scrap box...

I also nearly finished the quilting on the other turquoise piece too...

The challenge color of the month at RSC is to use Aqua scraps this month... and I'm happy to say I sewed  and sewed and the level of scraps left is still high! 

I am always amazed at the beauty in tiny pieces of fabric sewn next to each other. 

Little steps... add this to that, vary the lines, use all shades together, vary the sizes and this piece turned into a landscape to me...reminding me of lakes and mountains, of grassy banks, and gentle breezes...

Like putting together a puzzle, like fitting in mosaic tiles, like dabbing on dots of color....

I am deciding if to add or where to place the bits of blowing petals. I'll stitch over them with a gold metallic thread. Both pieces were totally quilted with sulky mylar hologram thread and they gently sparkle when the light hits it. 

I just need to put on the binding, and finish (over-)quilting it and this will be finished. 

I was inspired to use my yo yo tools this week by a free workshop this week...

I had them for years...Y E A R S !! and finally used them... and am working on putting them onto this: 

so many decisions when you work in an additive way. Design as you go along. 

I think some beaded beads in the centers would be nice. Maybe antique buttons to tack them down to a quilted tree... 

Zen stitch starts next week, alongside a painting workshop. I am mid abstract painting workshop now with Laly Maille, so I'm putting down my needle for today and going to paint. 

And bake bread. The temps are predicted to be 77F instead of 85F like it's been and will be for weeks because it's now hot in the front range of Colorado. When we moved here a few years ago it cooled off first of Sept and snowed by Halloween. I think, if we are kind to Mother Earth she'll be kind to us. I want to protect nature, it gives so much to me.

here's to lots of time to create this week for all... getting lost in creation makes me a better person

Zen stitch workshop (free) through Kate Ward coming the following week

you can get all the details over here

and painting workshop thru Tamara La Porte (free ) overlapping the same week

linking with

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts

https://songbirddesigns.blog/monday-musings-6-26-23/ 

finished or not

off the wall Fridays


11 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are both beautiful aqua improv pieces, LeeAnna! I love seeing all the shapes and colors that come together when you put this with that. Beautiful finishes!

Kathleen said...

Your teal pieces turned out beautifully! I really like them both! It sounds like a fun class you have coming up next week, too.

Helen said...

I completely agree on the feeling you get from aqua and turquoise... they do sing of peace, comfort, and beauty!

Sandy said...

As always, everything is fabulous, but oh........I LOVE that first one. It's sooooooo pretty.
Traveling Suitcase

Rebecca Grace said...

Just one of these projects would make me feel like I'd had a productive week! I love how you worked those two flamingos into the first improv piece, and yes -- gorgeous, watery Mediterranean blues!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Super cute improv quilts, LeeAnna!! Done and almost done, too. :o))

grammajudyb said...

Oh boy! You know I’m a fan of your improv pieces. I’m trying to emulate you! Not successfully, but working at it! I love both your pieces! Hope you enjoy the cooler nights ahead, even the sunshine-y days. The best about fall! Snow happened in Wyoming high country….winter is coming! Brrrr!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Your teal project is soo much fun!

Melva said...

I adore your improv pieces in turquoise <3 Thanks for sharing in the Sew & Tell party and inspiring all of us! Blessings, Melva

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Love your two improv pieces! Each is so beautiful. That smattering of tiny flowers on the one piece is just the right touch. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/09/27/wednesday-wait-loss-347

Annie said...

Your quilts are strand you use all my favourite colours.
Hugs,
Annie x