Saturday, September 30, 2023

watching paint dry plus a quilted finish!

aqua landscape 14" X 20"
This is one of two small improvisational quilts finished this month.
 

last week I showcased the first one, so I'll now share some close ups of what I see as an abstract landscape. 

I started by making sections, triangles turned into geese, and a zig zag section. Squares. strips. and at the end, some applique, raw edge freely cut out of yellow scraps. Fit sections together like a puzzle.

I now see mountains, water, sky...the strong squares remind me of land, the triangles at the bottom here remind me of rapids. On the right to me it looks a bit like a boat. 

boat

a few crystals in flower centers. The petals are free to lift up and create texture. Metallic mylar turquoise threads for most quilting, white in flowers and around rapids. 

it's hard to see but I quilted on some of the glittering sheer (prom dress fabric) over sections, kind of see the glitter above. I did a quick machine binding.


I always turn abstracts around to see what I might see. This looks a little like a tree to me. 

I talked to Joy at thejoyfulquilter and she said to enter this in her table scraps challenge this month, as it has "Z" zig zags and "P" it's pretty! 

Now for some paint on paper...

more abstracts... which are difficult for me. I like to have some natural figures when I do abstracts but this was from a class online. We start by writing on paper, then gluing torn items onto that... 

I used tissue boxes, napkins, magazines, glitter table top sequins and more. Then continue with paint, finishing with gold inks, and white and black gel pens. 


 

I got some new white posca pens and you shake them then depress the tips to start paint flowing... usually. This time I gently started to depress it and ink poured out!!! OMGosh! All over the green paper used to start pens. 

In order to use that, I tore it in half and began painting it to make cards.

I turned the card over to clean my brush between colors, and boing!!!that taught me the value of letting the paint move and blend. It looks like lovely mountains and water!
inside of the card, where I cleaned my paint brush between colors

 I found a quote to write on the card, as these were originally meant to be "permission slips for art" 

As if we need permission to create! 

"There is no right way to make art. The only wrong is in not trying, not doing", Lisa Golightly

I went on to make another one, with the white ink blobs...


paint blobs turned into roses...

the message on the inside was the quote: 

I have permission to take care of me. No one else has the right to say  otherwise. | Words, Quotes, Inspirational quotes

 disappointed in the Zen creativity workshop this week presented by Kate Ward

now in the free classes, you can't access patterns needed without signing up with the teachers for ongoing emails. Hmph, this is a change. I no longer sign up with random people as unsubscribing is not usually as easy as they say. Many times lately I un-sub. they say I'm un-subscribed, and the sales emails continue. I repeat the process, the emails continue til I block them or mark as junk. 

The classes offered by Tam are great, not like that, and I'll start them tomorrow. Can only do so much.

 

Note:  this creativity online workshop (free) through Liz Kettle embroiderer...

https://programs.hobbyscool.com/art-handmade-registration/?affiliate=textileevolution


linking with 

https://thejoyfulquilter.blogspot.com/2023/09/september-2023-abc-table-scraps.html

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts

https://songbirddesigns.blog/monday-musings-6-26-23/ 

finished or not

off the wall Fridays

11 comments:

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Such lovely art work, both the quilts and the cards! Very inspiring.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Love, love, LOVE your AQUA abstract landscape, LeeAnna! Thanks for sharing with the ABC (Table) SCRAPS Challenge this month. Keep on creating, my friend!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your abstract landscape is beautiful, LeeAnna! It definitely gives you the idea of many shapes and viewpoints. I'm trying a simple improv landscape project of an ocean and beach view - it's a really fun way to sew!

grammajudyb said...

I love seeing your fabric art and your pen & paper art. You are correct! No right or wrong, just do it! My improve pieces are not nearly as free form as yours, but I'm working toward that goal. I'm a little rigid.....just ask Mr.Busy! He'll tell you! LOL.

I think Joy was right very "P"retty "Z"ig "Z"ags. :)

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

This mini quilt is beautiful, horizontally, and vertically ;) It's fun to see different landscapes emerging from the lines.
I love your painting too, how fun to turn a large Posca drip into a piece of art! Have fun with the new coming class.
Thank you for sharing, and linking up today!

Kathleen said...

I love your aqua landscape. I am not surprised your art works well both horizontally and vertically! Sorry about your class....hope next (this) week's class is better!

time4stitchn said...

What a wonderful expression of your art. I really see such depth and process in your teal quilt pieces. Hooray for you to finish them. And your watercolor cards are nudging me to try it. So many beautiful lines combined with such caring notes.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Beautiful finishes to your two improv pieces! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/10/04/wednesday-wait-loss-348

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Your blue quilts always appeal to me. Love it!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Your are like a magpie, always adding sparkle to your projects. Love the crystals being used as flower centers.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Hmmm Watching Paint Dry - that got my attention haha!!
Love your improv pieces - they are so appealing and draw the eye everywhere!