Sunday, December 20, 2020

Merry Christmas questions for you!

 


 questions from Sunday Stealing

What’s your favorite thing about the holidays?
A: they are pretty... people laugh more and have hope. They think of others as they think of gifts to buy them. The traditions bring back fun memories of childhood. Sparkling ornaments like dozens of earrings on a tree. Lights twinkling in dark yards, I wish would stay up through the winter. Greenery brought into the house, smells of cookies and pine and funny movies. 


Do you send out Christmas cards and if so how many do you send?
A: I always did til this year...I love to get cards and give them. I think about the person as I write a note inside, and it's the only time some of us keep in contact. 


Be honest: holiday newsletters. Love ‘em or hate ‘em?
A: depends on the newsletters. When they brag I don't enjoy them much. When they take me through the highlights of the year, I like them immensely. Like getting a long letter. 
I was a nanny in Edmonton, Alberta... the family sends a newsletter every year and now those girls are grown with children of their own, and their parents are busy still and it's a good thing to catch up after all this time!


Be honest: photo cards. Love ‘em or hate ‘em?
I love getting pet photo cards, they are adorable and inventive


How soon do you start shopping?
A: whenever I see something I think someone might like, all year, I get it and squirrel it away for holidays. Otherwise the big push to think of something for DH starts on Thanksgiving... he's a hard one to buy for as he purchases what he wants all the time. 
Finding a perfect gift is stressful but how I love shopping at the holidays... not this year of course, but in all others. The displays and music and people, getting a mall snack, watching the line for Santa... all fun to me.



Real or fake tree?
A: I love a real tree but all of us began to have horrible allergy symptoms after getting one. Now we have a beautiful TALL tree that lives in the Family room all year. Not turned on but like a ficus. 


When do you put up your tree?
A:I decorate it starting on Thanksgiving. Then add to it til I begin to sadly take down the ornaments.


When do you take down your tree?
A: at some point in January, the tree begins to look tired... around the 8th or 12th or so... and I take down ornaments (after all how sad is it to look up on a roof and see a Santa lit up in January?) but leave the lights on til end of the month


Describe your typical tree (size, decorations, type)
A: as large as the room will allow. We had a tall skinny white one in our tiny cottage in MD. We have a big full green natural one here in the two story family room. I love ornaments, and beaded garland, lights! (mainly white) that randomly twinkle. This tree came with lights that don't twinkle, but when those give out, the twinkly ones will go on. I have ornament spinners that gently twirl the ballerinas (now hidden in some basement box after our move) and lots of glass icicles that reflect light. 
I had the metallic tree with the three colored light shining on it, as a child and fondly remember being in charge of pulling each branch out of it's paper, and putting it in the stalk. 
Our old white skinny tree now has flamingo lights on it. 
 
I got a pink one at Michaels one year, and had to replace those pink lights last year, it holds poodle ornaments and sits in the front window on top of the treadle machine.


What do you top your tree with?
I like a star. Somewhere I have a star made of stars of every color



Do you put Christmas lights outside your house?
A: I have always done them, and love them, sometimes leaving white ones up to summer, then in summer enjoying the twinkling ones since there are no fireflies in this area. 
This year, we didn't do much, a tree out on back patio twinkles, and one set of snowflakes on the front railing. 
(To be very honest here on my blog, I feel beat up by the year, by the virus and by worry about the divisions among us)  Don't agree? lucky you, no need to comment then. 



Is there a wreath hanging on your door?
A: I love them and had a lighted one in MD but not here. I have a wreath over the mantle



Do you hang up stockings?
A: we have stockings, again hidden in boxes in the basement. I made one for my poodle this year and might get new ones for us made too.
I still love the knitted one my aunt made me when I was born... a scene with tree and santa made in wool!
stocking gifts are my favorite... lots of little special candies and toys and jewelry


Your favorite Christmas Movie(s)
A: I like seeing Sound of Music and the first Harry Potter each year, an love White Christmas about the inn in Vermont . I love the song "snow" sung on the train, and it's romance.

 

Be honest: A Christmas movie you hate

A: Anything scrooge (Christmas Carol).... and there are a million of them


Favorite Christmas Song(s)
A:  Silver Bells, Little Drummer boy, God rest ye merry Gentlemen, King Wencelas, Merry Christmas Darling (usually Karen Carpenter) this version by glee...

 

Be honest: If I hear this/these Christmas songs again I will throw up

A: grandma got run over by a reindeer

Give or Receive?
A: both!

Eggnog or Mulled Cider?
A:both!! 

Ham or Turkey?
A: turkey... (intolerance for pork causes that)  
 

Read answers by other bloggers HERE

Stay safe as you celebrate the season. Wear a mask in public to protect everyone at least during the season of love, you will visit with others again later. Be patient and notice all you still have including your life 

 

17 comments:

Sara said...

These questions are a fun glimpse into your traditions. I’m feeling a bit beat up this year too. We didn’t put up any outdoor lights this year, so our house looks so dark. I have a big full artificial tree and stockings hung up. But no one except us will see any of it this year. Usually I decorate for Christmas right after Thanksgiving and take it down right after New Years.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Those were good answers and we hope your Christmas is Merry and Bright!

CountryDew said...

I appreciate your honesty. It is not a good year to celebrate.

Lori said...

I love your pictures! Very pretty decorations. I love pet photo cards also. I sent them out one year of my dogs. Loved your answers! Have a very Merry Christmas!

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

Lolasdiner said...

Enjoyed your answers.
Merry Christmas!
http://lolasdiner.blogspot.com/

Susan said...

I enjoyed the Glee version. I use to watch Glee. We are recording Sound of Music to watch later. I like your fireplace!

My name is Erika. said...

Your home is looking festive and great. And those are pretty good questions. Funny how different people have some pretty definite answers. Happy new week and happy winter.

zippiknits...sometimes said...

My aunt D did a lampoon of Christmas letters one year, about how the goats all went dry at the same time and the cow died but they ate her anyway. Farm Families.. Geez.. lol She was such a funny gal.
Everyone who has a heart is feeling a bit beat up this year. I love that sweet song, a very nice choice. I usually have a little tree in the bedroom and one stays up all year in the computer room. It's dusty as heck but it's up there. ;-D Merry Christmas Gently Heart.

MissPat said...

Our village has a tradition of putting out luminaries at 6PM on the Sunday before Christmas. The last several years it seems that fewer families were participating, but this year there were a lot more. Of course, all the other activities that usually also occur were canceled this year. I have a bunch of table top trees, but no stockings. I got out all the really Christmasy things, but the snowman are still snuggled all close in their bins. Maybe this week.
Pat

Plastic Mancunian said...

I know what you mean about being beaten up by 2020 - I feel that too. BUT there is good news and 2021 WILL be better.

Onwards and upwards.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Me, Myself, and I said...

Love your hearth! I wish we had one, just no place for it.... Happy Christmas!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

LOVED your answers and enjoyed seeing all the trees you have in your home.

Ann said...

What a lovely glimpse of your decorations. Your tall tree uses the space so well. And SNOW!
Merry Christmas.

Divers and Sundry said...

I enjoyed reading your answers. I love the wreath over your mantle. Cards are rare around here, and I only got/sent 1. I remember a hanging felt display piece I used to pin them to, and I'd run out of room. Times change.

We have a predicted high today of 60 lol No chance of snow for us.

Rebecca Jo said...

Love your pink tree.
I'll do you one better - our tree usually doesnt come down till March - LOL

sewyouquilt2 said...

Starting in Nov my christmas carol singing gets louder. I love a real tree but hubs is allergic so fake it is.we cover it in Homemade ornaments . Our wreath stays up till march.no lights outside but this year more than ever we did cards and surprise gifting because we need a little Christmas.....right this very minute as the song goes. Merry Christmas!!!!

Martha said...

This was fun to read! Merry Christmas!