Saturday, December 5, 2020

sewing saturday

 

 the color this month is dark neutrals so I finished up the lozenge blocks for the year and put them with last months blocks. 

here they are just the dark ones and they were fun to make. I looked through the scrap bins of black, gray, and brown to pick these

click to see detail

here are the tiny hst's from the current blocks, nothing done with them yet

This has been a good project for the year's focus. It provided me with not only a way to showcase color each month, that didn't take big decisions, but a small creativity exercise each time to use the tiny cutaway waste half square triangles. What more can you ask from a block ?

the design wall is overcrowded... I like the way the uneven log cabins look around the endless star blocks so I can't move those yet... and the flying geese are waiting for some detailed filling in work


 so I had to enlist the aid of my portable design wall to show you the blocks. I also asked my assistants to hold up a star ornament I made

 
My friend Diane sent a link to this tutorial on making stars... I made them with fabric strips cut at 1.5"

https://byopiapress.wordpress.com/2020/12/01/byopia-press-advent-calendar-2020-day-one-and-an-interlace-star/#more-4899 

I tried three widths of strip to start with, and like the 1.5" size best for this. I also first tried fusing the strip closed before stitching over it but it's not needed, just press the fabric to enclose raw edges, stitch closed, then start the weaving.     The paper there is the folding template.

I made some Christmas fabric masks... and started gathering blocks from old holiday quilting magazines to make a stairway banner.

I've already been considering next year's blocks... it's a great way to not only use scraps but to have something to do each month, like sourdough starter kind of. A jumping off place. 

 I wanted some more clips but they seemed expensive til I found this set on amazon. Terrific colors and size for all kinds of uses.

I've been including older quilts like the kaleidoscope in posts all week... take a look won't you?

watching on youtube:

 I loved all the containers and organizational way this woman had of keeping her supplies


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elL_QKDR_-o 


I finished my orange endless diamond block and am working on the lime green one now
pattern is found HERE

that about wraps up this week's sewing adventure!... onward in creativity!


Let's go to a party!

9 comments:

Sara said...

I've been planning my RSC blocks for 2021 too. I know I'll continue making the Wisdom block and more Gingham blocks until there are enough for a quilt. But there are so many other FUN blocks out there to play with it almost makes my head spin - in a good way!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW much going on in your studio, LeeAnna! Star ornaments and Christmas masks? Festive! Thanks for the link, as I've been on a mission to straighten up my studio.

Michele McLaughlin said...

So many wonderful projects Lee Anna! Love your progress! Have a great week!

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
ah, the lime green has returned :)
a design wall full with ideas...a great place to get ideas out of your head and transformed into fabric fun !
I'm really enjoying using clips in the hobby room. Some of them find their way into the kitchen to keep small bags closed.
hugs,
Joanne

Karrin Hurd said...

Great projects you have been working on. Happy stitching~

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm impressed with the stars! You stay so busy with all your sewing blocks :)

Deb A said...

Love the stars and those endless diamonds make my heart happy =)

Susie H said...

The star ornaments are really cool and I thoroughly enjoyed the video. So many good storage ideas. She also reminded me of a couple projects that I wanted to start! Oh no! Down the rabbit hole I go once more!

Twyla said...

Madame Sew has good prices on a few items. Thanks for the link. Love the poodle fabric.