Saturday, February 29, 2020

sewing Saturday... last of the orange blocks

the cut away bits
Welcome to sewing round up for the week. I've had an eye condition but was able to sew the last of the orange blocks for RSC. I've been doing lozenges (by Bonnie Hunter) using  color rectangles with dark and light corner triangles
see the pretty fabrics?
see them with the green ones from last month?
and then mixed up
cool!
When I sew the squares to the corners, I sew another seam inside the cutaway part, cut the extra tiny block out, and use them in some mini project
I wasn't crazy about them facing the same way...

or as geese
one 16 block unit sewn, and look how small it comes out!
so I looked at blocks online and found a cool star burst design, and started sewing them, and here's what I discovered
1. these are tiny, trimmed down to 1.25", so you can't do them in this pattern as improv... you must trim them down
2. tiny pieces in pattern are easily mispositioned.
3. 64 little half square triangles are messy with seams and bulky to sew unless you're really really careful, and that's not that much fun
after I sewed it, I sprayed it thoroughly with water and pressed with my fingers first to line up the seams
and carefully followed the picture to do the next quadrant.
did I mention there are 64 tiny 1 1/4" unfinished blocks in this thing?
see the block image ?
you can see my guiding picture from google images... and how the quadrants look with opposite background layout.... I think it's too busy, maybe better like this
what do you think?
Last month with the tiny green HST blocks, I made the coolest little quilt by doing it improv. So much more fun but I wanted to try something else this time. Oy vey.
(I suspect I forgot to trim a few of those maverick blocks before sewing, hence the slight variance)
(I will make it work, not take any stitching out)

Note to self, that black and white block is truly nice, but not with these crazy color combinations... and make it larger next time!




21 comments:

PaintedThread said...

I love your starburst blocks - so many tiny pieces. I have a pile of HST squares that are just a little larger than that - I'm not looking forward to all the seams. oof!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Sometimes it is good to play - and then sometimes it is okay to toss the cut off corners when they're that teensy. I've done it both ways but now I'm leaning to tossing more than going QUITE so small. I like it better half and half instead of four corners - great center for a table mat . . . have fun!

Mary in Boulder said...

Those are tiny little pieces! I like the first placement but both look very interesting and unexpected.

Cathy said...

I love your lozenges! I did one of those quilts about 3 years ago, but threw away the tiny trimmings. You must have the patience of a saint, LeeAnna!

maggie fellow said...

those are very tiny to work with but a great block.

Sara said...

That starburst idea is fantastic. I may steal that as I have a lot of HST laying about again. I still haven't finished up my orange blocks but maybe tomorrow I will get those done so I can put away the orange and play with the teal.

Joanne said...

Looks great LeeAnna !
What a challenging week you've had and to turn out something so fiddly! Wow!
hugs,
Joanne

Beth B said...

I really like the starburst with the alternate black and white corners; it appears to be very dimensional.

Molly the Airedale said...

Love your work and all of the striking orange fabrics!

piecefulwendy said...

I have some little HSTs that size - and yes, they are tiny! I like the first layout/version, but you go with what makes you happy!

Jeanne said...

Wowsers -- you're going strong with orange! I fizzled out with it last week.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

what a small job you sew, beautiful I admire you for it !!!!!!
Have a happy March, Elke

The Joyful Quilter said...

Hooray for using your Bonus HSTs!!! Personally, I like the setting with diagonal color quadrants more than the half and half block. Either way, the mini is going to be AMAZING!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Kudos to you - I don't like to work that small but your block does look cute. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Yvonne said...

I'm loving your oranges! I'm not sure I could work with such a small block but wowza your half square triangles are awesome.

I hope your eye(s) feel better soon.

Shannon said...

I love all the orange blocks, especially the orange and white, (they remind me of creamsicles), but I'm so sorry to hear about your eye! I hope you feel better soon!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Love your orange starburst. I think I like the first version best. Thanks for linking up to Wednesday Wait Loss.

Preeti said...

The mix of black and white backgrounds in your bright orange star is so yummy. It really lights up the pattern :-D
I have difficulty working with tiny pieces cause I have fat fingers :-p I love big blocks :-)

Susie H said...

So tiny! Love watching you play with the extras. Good job!

Susan said...

You are braver than I in working with such small pieces. They sure look good!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Some are very tiny! I love the contrast between your fabrics, very pretty!