Thursday, May 31, 2018

I Like Thursdays # 91 cows and Craft shows and Vail CO

Welcome to this week's list of likes...
I'll start with Vail... over the Memorial day weekend we went to two art festivals, the mountains, and did some errands. The image above was at Vail
I have heard of Vail and Aspen, Telluride and Breckenridge, so it was exciting to see these places.
We started back in Frisco where I had to return the sandals I bought last trip, and we walked around and shopped, and met people and loved it all over again. But we came to see Vail, so on we climbed over ridges at 10,000 feet and the town was odd to me.
I felt like I was at disney world. It was fun to walk around, and sort of shop, and sort of meet people but it all felt kind of artificial. Pretty but not quite like a town. It has hotels and condos around a shopping area, but no town to speak of that we found.
On the other hand, the day before we went to Denver, to an area called Stapleton. It used to be the airport and is such a cool town!  There was a cozy craft show going on with live music.
first thing I saw was a herd...
so I followed them into the next tent where I saw these

She paints, and makes jewelry, saying she gets tired of one art form and goes to the next. I asked why cows? She said her friend wanted her to paint her tiny cow... so she came up with the poured paint method





Hey, I asked... what is a miniature cow? She showed me online... yep, like tiny dogs... little cows. I've never seen that!
I liked this scrabble art...

I liked these bags made from records!
the album covers and records on the back...
I chatted to the artist and asked what in the world got this started... she kind of said, well she was intrigued and wanted to make something with old records. Her studio is in her garage, and she keeps it tidy.
Huh? A tidy studio?
Yep, she said, it has to be as it's so small.
Okaaaaaaayyyyyy......


this artist was so much fun! She took her love of travel to making art. She uses vintage maps to make lots of stuff including these jewels. I asked what her favorite place was to visit and we laughed at her stories and mine. Think about it... what's the weirdest thing or place, that happened to you traveling.
she's headed back to live in St. Pete...
My old stomping grounds. She followed her passion for travel into the area of art

I was drawn to this tent... wonder why? 

I talked to this artist a long time, and her mother (also an artist) even longer. I decided we needed to be friends, so I got her card and I plan to call her once we're settled and do just that.

I loved the gestures and expressions she captured in these pottery animals. Her mom said she was so imaginative as a child, talking for animals and drawing them as personalities.


I was like that... I am still like that!
Look at that face! Love
She then went to art school, and eventually got her MFA and painted and sold work and did shows.
Then one day she decided to return to her love of animals and clay and changed direction.

Now she is happy with her art and choices! Cool right? I want to be her friend.





We also went to the Denver Art Fest... it was bleeding hot so much that I thought I'd pass out. It was also full of 200 artists from around the country. Unusual art, and I interviewed so many artists but the heat must have melted the memories. I know I wanted three pieces from this person. The moving yard pieces, the standing yard art pieces
a wall clock and this for over the mantel
In this time of flux, it's not the moment for big purchases but I wanted something from nearly every booth. It reminded me of the Gasparilla Art festival in Tampa, quality wise. Wonderful...
I haven't forgotten about the small town post, just out of time...

Milo's Moments
For barking out loud, y'all! Is it thursday already??? That howl-iday with Dad home an extra day confused me! I'll tell you I have lots of likes but will just tell you this time about my new work...
I'm the mail carrier. Yep, Daddy turns the key and pulls it out of the slot for me, but then my work begins...
First I have to pester the daddy to let go of it
so I can go through and find the true junk mail. I'm just presorting so Mama doesn't have to, heh heh.
I can tell if it's thick it's pretty much junk. Shiny? large sized? junk. I carry it home but sometimes I get so excited about my work, that I begin the shredding process on the way...
that's me! In motion! I am seldom still but especially during mail hour, when I go into over drive. I mean if you take on a job you need to do it right, right? You need to put your heart and soul and teeth into it!
And it's fun, I flap it back and forth, it makes noise, it rips with a very satisfying sound, sometimes I have my man follow behind to pick up the pieces that fall, that's not my job.

 I'm the "carrier" and the "shredder" not the "picker upper"

Daddy does not enjoy being the picker upper but we all gotta find a way to contribute, right?

Right!

Now sit, stay! visit these people my mama likes who also do I Like posts! See ya!

http://whataboutrheema.blogspot.com/
.maryinpeoriahandmade.blogspot.com
.http://littlepenguinquilts 

 http://sandysnowden.blogspot.co.uk/ 
.https://canadianneedlenana.blogspot.com/  
 
.http://homesewnbyus
http://imworkingonaproject.blogspot.com/

https://grammasquiltingroom.blogspot.com/
craftscaviescontras
https://tentoesinthewater.blogspot.com/
http://3poodlesandanana.blogspot.com/
http://www.mmmquilts.com/
 minousminute.blogspot.com
https://quiltingreadersgarden.blogspot.com/2018/05/i-like-thursdays_17.html


linking to some of these
http://abcwednesday
Our World Tuesday
Travel_Tuesday  Our World Tuesday
Travel_Tuesday 

  http://sky watch Fridays
http://asoutherndaydreamer
Thankful Thursdays pet parade
http://goodrandomfun.blogspot.com
http://itsasmalltownlife.blogspot.com/
http://shabbyartboutique.com
willy nilly Friday (random images)
habbyartboutique fridays

 




37 comments:

easyweimaraner said...

I love the black record bag... and I would like to visit such an event too...

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi LeeAnna,
Oh Milo - you are a great mail sorter! And shredding - you've got that down. What a FUN festival. So many, many, MANY cute things. I don't know how you didn't get something from each of them. Great restraint! ~smile~ Roseanne

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I think you are like me LeeAnna, in that my favourite part of the craft shows is chatting with the artists. I always learn something and I know they appreciate the interest. But what an array of interesting arty things! Who knew you could refashion such things.

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Oh my goodness-what wonderful art events. I'm likin the outdoor art in the last artist's area. Thanks for taking us along. mary

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You are the best at finding interesting art! I love the moving sculptures that could go in your yard. Those are always so much fun!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Milo you are a wonderful mail carrier. Oh the art is gorgeous. I like the yard art the best

Shannon said...

What a fun collection of stuff! I especially like the map charms and the cow paintings (fabulous). I was interested in your feelings about Vail, it's probably one of my least favorite places in Colorado (which I generally love). I only ever went there one time to ski race as a teenager, but it was sooo ritzy and it felt so unaffordable, that I felt very out of place. Of course we couldn't stay there, and it was one of the few places where our race entries/ticket fees didn't cover the whole mountain. One of the usual benefits of ski racing was getting to ski at different places before and after the races, and it just felt extra-snooty that we weren't allowed to do that at vail, we were only allowed on the one or two lifts needed to access the race course....

Brian's Home Blog said...

You always find such cool things on your out n' about! Go Milo Go! Thanks for joining the Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Great pics from the arts & crafts show - love all the cows and my favorite is the hippo planter

Suzanne said...

I like art shows too...thanks for sharing your wonderful adventures. I like the vintage map jewelry, but then, I like vintage everything!

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna!
So much art! And original, good quality stuff! There will be a place for something one day!
Ski resorts...sounds like a few in Canada!
Thanks for sharing all that during that heat!
Take care,
Joanne

Joanne said...

Your paper piecing cows could hang along side!

Sandee said...

Nothing like a good walk to sniff out what's going on in the neighborhood.

Have a fabulous Thankful Thursday. ♥

Tails Around the Ranch said...

The main difference between Vail and Aspen is Aspen is a real town...from the mining days. Vail was a created resort along I-70. Loved the art festival photos-you managed to capture some cool artwork. The lavender festival is coming up. Care to attend?

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I live in Colorado and have visited all the areas your described. It's true that Vail doesn't have an "Old Twon" atmosphere, but surrounding it there are many sweet little towns to explore when you ahve more time. A man who came back from the 10th Mountain Division in WWII began vail as he wanted to continue the ski culture that he learned to love and introduce it to other people in the US as a recreational sport. The crafts you showed in photos are so wonderful! The Denver Chalk Festival is this weekend--artists draw the most amazing artwork on the streets of Denver--check it out!

Out on the prairie said...

the cows are fun, I enjoy watching a herd just thinking how laid back they can be without any worries

Michelle said...

I love all of the crafty works! Those purses are so great and I would buy one of those map necklaces for sure. Thanks for linking up today!

Snap said...

Instead of the morning paper, Milo brings in the mail (does he do the paper too??). I love craft shows. Now I have to google tiny cows!!!!

Angie said...

I love craft shows, and have to work hard not to bring something home from every booth!!! The series of shots with Milo-in-motion were very effective! I could feel the desperation of Daddy trying to grab that errant piece of mail!! Oh, Milo, you always provide the best entertainment of the week!

M Dawson said...

It was lovely to seethe art shows, thank you and your pup DID make me giggle!!!

Have a good weekend!

PaintedThread said...

So many neat things! I loved all the artwork.

A Colorful World said...

What a great craft show! Love the planters, especially the donkey one!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

So that's what happens to old skis!! Very cool. LOL at Milo the Mail Carrier!!

Tom said...

...lots of neat stuff. Up in the Adirondack Mountains they make great stuff out of old skis and snowboards. Thanks for stopping by, enjoy your weekend,

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Milo is a great mail carrier. I would love these arts and craft festivals. The donkey pottery is cute. I love yard art too. The use of skis was great. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

Powell River Books said...

We have craft booths at our weekly Farmers Market. There is even a miniature train for the kids to ride and a stage for local talent to provide music. It is quite the community affair this time of year. - Margy

Gale said...

Love hearing about Milo shredding your junk mail. Does he do political mailers too? ;-)

Kay L. Davies said...

You made me laugh. "Daddy does not enjoy being the picker upper but we all gotta find a way to contribute, right?" !!
As usual, an interesting and comprehensive post, my friend!
Kay
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

sandyland said...

Milo loves his outings mighty cool things

Roger Owen Green said...

Colorado is a pretty cool place!

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Milo, I wish our Molly the Cat would want to be a carrier or a shredder like you. :-)

LeeAnna, a lot of wonderful crafts at that first show you shared. I still have a box of records that I'd like to do something with. Also old maps. I like the animal ceramic artist's work. The elephant, oooh!

Ann said...

Going to Colorado on Friday for vacation, my kind of yard art is the first pic.
Ann

ABC-Wednesday said...

Many lovely item, one could spent lots of money

Have a splendid, ♥-warming ABC-Wednes-day / -week
♫ M e l ☺ d y ♪ (ABC-W-team)
http://melodymusic.nl/22-V

carol l mckenna said...

Fun post for V and neat photos! love all the crafts!

Happy Times to you,
A ShutterBug Explores
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Beverly said...

Happy Pink Saturday, Lee Ann. Thanks for joining us and making Pink Saturdays special. I hope you will include a link back to my blog in your post.

This post is featured on my Pink Saturday post this week as "the one that caught my eye".♥

Roger David said...

Love to see more different experiences regarding to travel, loved this post, hope it was a good day for you.
compare airport parking
meet and greet at gatwick

Mark D said...

Instead of the morning paper, Milo brings in the mail (does he do the paper too??). I love craft shows. Now I have to google tiny cows! Manchester Airport car parking