Friday, March 24, 2017

Baby steps with baby tumbling blocks

I'm always up for a scrap project. Use those little treasures! When I wanted a little carry along project recently, I went to my paper pieces for diamonds to make some little tumbling blocks.
You need light/medium/dark shades so that required some looking through my treasure trove of scraps.

These were the choices for three blocks
Here is another.

I haven't made the blocks yet, and I chose three tones of many colors as this will be a scrap quilt project.

Just because the color of the month is red at
RSC, I am showcasing the red here.





I have about 15 stacks of threes waiting for basting and hand sewing.
The thing I learned making small scrap pieces is to consider scale. This is not a favorite scrap. I would not use it in a quilt but someone gave it to me and I saw the value in it for lots of circumstances. A dish? A belt on a dress? or a little lightest diamond in a baby block...
 If you want the most impact, consider how small these diamonds are and choose a higher contrast in shades, matching tone and pattern somewhat.
Just one more... a pink set. You can see the larger fabric scraps I chose from, and the cut pieces ready to baste...



16 comments:

Sara said...

I can picture a whole rainbow of these little blocks. I've done one little project with this shape and it's a Moravian Star. 3D and done by leaving in the cardboard shapes when putting them all together.

LA Paylor said...

ooooo that sounds beautiful Sara

Joanne said...

Lokks like a super use it project!
Great idea!

quiltedfabricart said...

Are these all done by hand? The sewing too, like hexies ? Wow! You have more patience than me my friend.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I'm sure it's fun stitching them.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Reds are so joyous. I love diamond shapes and I'm sure you will make something wonderful with them. Are you using paper, freezer paper, cardboard. I also love when you show your process. I am learning so much about choosing colours and prints from you!

Needled Mom said...

Those will be gorgeous.

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Can't wait to see the finished project!

Rose said...

I will watch for progress....those pieces look so little!

PaulaB quilts said...

You really seem to give these little ones a lot of thought, quality versus quantity. I saw my first flowers today, white crocuses and a purple one just popping out. Hooray for spring!

Ivani said...

Are you making them as traditional English Paper Piecing? It is great projeject to use all those smaller scraps. Have fun!

Kate said...

Looks like you've got a good start on your new scrappy project. Looking forward to seeing how the finished blocks.

Nell's Quilts said...

This looks like a happy project.Enjoy the process.

Kaja said...

So teeny! I love your scrappy projects and this seems like a great start.

gayle said...

I love when you start a new project! Especially when it's scrappy!

claudia said...

These little diamonds are going to be cute when you get them sewn together. I have really come to appreciate red this month. (Although I was feeling it was my nemesis in my projects, I have never done so much ripping of seams!)
You have some patience, I tell ya!