Saturday, August 1, 2026

how I spent my creative week

 

I worked on projects in progress this week. But, then I looked ahead to Saturday's post on RSC but a color had not been announced. 

oy vey, it's generally too late to post your color work on the day it's announced and we only have 4 post days so I tried to reason out the probability and decided chances are it will be yellow or purple. 

so I worked on both! 

this was one of last year's yellow scrap quilts and I like it so much I hung in on my studio door 

I start by organizing the scrap bin by shape and size. This time I took out squares of certain sizes to put in my growing squares collection boxes. Then the tiniest scraps are put by the machine to jump start my month. 

not knowing, I chose to go thru this process with both purple bin, and yellow bins 

I did start the border choices for last week's piece, and thought I might surround this yellow block with purples but stopped here since I like the way this looks now

It's satisfying to use little bits just as color but to also see them turning into something... a tote? a table topper? book cover? 

speaking of books I ordered this but haven't looked through it yet

as I mentioned earlier I also worked with purples... the tiniest scraps became another cutie needlebook

pieced then machine quilted with metallic turquoise thread, the inside

batting scraps become the needle beds

then some embroidery stitches by hand or machine


and beads put on with the hand stitched buttonhole to close the edges


squee! my friend Cindy sent me a box of beads in the Swa---eeeetist little boxes. SO thoughtful, and what a fine mix of turquoise sparklers to use. PLUS 
I did the hand work while chatting with her so it was a double gift! 

(I also sewed all the buttons back to my pink shirt while chatting) 

french knots with size 8 perle cotton in aqua

it's been so very hot, which drains me of energy and causes sleep disturbances, so I am just glad to be doing much of anything but necessities like cooking, laundry, dogwalking

how's about a walk Mama?

and the calendar monthly flip reminds me of time passing by


 



8 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

"Color Archetypes" -- that sounds intriguing! I'd be interested in knowing what makes a color archetypal and which color corresponds to which archetype.

Come visit my blog tomorrow -- I'm featuring an Art Quilt Exhibition that I went to in June (Part 1 of 2 posts).

Tigger's Mum said...

That multi-colour piece to the left of your yellow-gold is so intense. It's gorgeous and I live it. I keep going back to that picture. Last years yellow is amazing too - you really do colour so well.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

yummy yellow blocks for August! :)

DVArtist said...

I love all of your creations but that yellow piece is to live for. It is stellar.

Kate said...

You definitely make the most of those small pieces. We got a cool down this weekend, but we are back to full August summer next week. Hopefully you'll see a cool down soon. The heat does steal your mojo some days.

Christine said...

Lovely work

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Stunning quilts. Amazing. Happy SITAR.

DVArtist said...

Thank you so much for sharing your incredible art with SITAR.