Saturday, September 14, 2024

creativity this week.... gone color maverick!



There are no more colors of the month at RSC for the year, just "dark" and I have 8 colored blocks...

so I chose my own color, my neutral, "LIME GREEN" 

the back after basting and  hand sewing unit

I would rather have 12 colors, instead of 4 months to put the quilt together. Actually finishing a quilt isn't always my plan, I like to just look at color each month, use it, learn from it. So I plan to use these as my next 3 months focus colors

fuchsia
Gold

Gray
and went through my scraps to find great choices to enjoy. It feels great to know where I"m headed so I can relax and just do EPP when I'm ready 
I used these to help me settle on colors

close up of some of the lime patterns

loved the tiny gate scrap, barely big enough but was
Daisies, dragon flies, and the cutest gradient color lime circle fabric!

The colors so far. Now how to set them... on a white or cream background? this orientation or turned to have hexies touching on side? 
8 X 11"  the embroidery stitching is done . I loved leaving some of the top right corner fabric unstitched as the fabric is so cool on it's own. I danced from image to image, trying out stitches with different threads. No plans. Just  moving along. Now I want to sew it to a backing (no batting) on three sides, then insert a stiff board and close the last side. 
then add in the beads for sparkle and the fun of doing it
I love the variegated perle cotton thread making French knots
DH who is a more concrete thinker asked what they were supposed to be. I didn't answer because they are just pattern and color. He said, pollen? bugs? I pointed to splatter on my paintings and said, that effect. Random color dots. 
a variation of fly stitch with a flower on top. The stars were for fun, maybe little flying things

Isn't the background fabric cool? Maybe it's a hand dye... there was a small piece left
the purple blends in but I see it... lavender just sprung up next to the flower

So I hope to do my feather star blocks sing in the colors I chose to do in the next few months. They'll be easier to join, just next to each other I think. Traditional but not.

just for fun,  I saw a quick tute video on simple drawing of a giraffe and did this  on my calendar, where I try little things. He looked better before inking in but I love the quizzical look on his face


I love this little paint tute any one can do easily (by the same teacher)

https://youtube.com/shorts/Tq8TjJQGOkw?si=z8m9FeLB233fXnG7


Meditation painting of sorts


linking with

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts

https://songbirddesigns.blog/

finished or not

https://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com/

https://beadwright.blogspot.com/

art for


14 comments:

Duke said...

I love your work. You are so very creative!

Gene Black said...

Leanna, you can see some of my quilts at http://geneblack.com and you can see an exhibit of my quilts at https://youtu.be/R63uWGTdRXc?si=ITYp2w5FrdRsMN3j

Michele McLaughlin said...

Love your EPP! So wonderful!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

The tiny gate scrap caught my eye right away! All the finished colours look so marvelous together. And thanks for that fall leaves tutorial -- I may try that in my sketchbook to celebrate the season!

Helen said...

I love all of this! The pretty little color things! And I love the embroidery!

Sara said...

Your blocks look fantastic together - and I love the lime green. Going rogue with color is awesome! Love that little giraffe too!! He's adorable!

Tigger's Mum said...

This is the kind of post I want to keep coming back to. Lots of ideas. Inspiration. Creative.

grammajudyb said...

I’m a green fabric lover, and lately lime is my favorite. The gradient dots are marvelous a d the garden gate adorable. Your orange flower just keep getting better and better! Mr Busy doesn’t get embellishment either! Or detail!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

That giraffe is too cute. What fun to see him peering out from your calendar. You do have some of the best fabric and you put it to good use.

Sue said...

Those EPP shapes are striking.

Jill said...

Excellent EPP on the fussy-cut gate.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Your lime block is beautiful, have fun playing with fushia and gold! I love the flower too, and its sparkling knots and stitches. The giraffe is adorable ;) Thank you for sharing!

The Joyful Quilter said...

That giraffe is TOO cute, LeeAnna!! Love the colors you chose for the rest of the year. Looking forward to seeing the lovely blocks to follow.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Great scrappy EPP project! So many things to look at in all your colourful blocks. love the little gate!