Friday, August 30, 2024

Orange feathered star and a wee painting

 

This is a big achievement for me, with so little strength still. I just took it in small steps

1. look thru scraps for possible bits the right size

2. print the pattern 

3. lay the pieces in the right sides on the pattern to see how the colors go together

4. cut with scissors the small white triangles to go around the orange scraps

5. Sew all the bits to the paper pattern, in short moments throughout the week

6. cut out the tula pink background triangles and arrange on design wall... in two days

7 sew the backgrounds on, press, 

8 sew the top right square to the top left square, repeat for bottom, then sew the two big sections

Everything is  harder at the moment, but I remind myself I couldn't have done this last week

a close up of fabrics

My orange scraps are sparser than any other scraps... I repeated some here, and like how it came out

I couldn't fit all the 8 blocks on my design wall for a photo, but chose these warm colors to show

very satisfying.... are they just too busy? 
the sewn blocks look like this on the back. Pulling off paper will be challenging! A tv project for sure

my August calendar page is pretty and has a good message from a favorite designer of mine
Kelly Rae Roberts. I think I'll purchase one of her weekly list pads (on her website) to go along with this wall calendar
a close up of the page

I have one little painting too... 
My chiropractor was telling me how sweet her baby was when picked up. He snuggled his tiny nose under her chin, then one by one tucked his arms under him, becoming a little warm burrito shaped package of love. 

the vision inspired this, but I did a sketch with my fountain pen, letting the lines fall where they would. 
The ink ran when I tried to add watercolor paint, kind of graying it all... but I kept going. 

wish I was a better sketcher.... Here's the back with metallic gold paint around the edge on on the heart
Babies are born with hearts of gold

23 comments:

easyweimaraner said...

we love the colors... the orange is a wonderful color to welcome fall..

Kathy said...

I absolutely love your feathered star blocks! They look like a huge party every time you show them. Hang in there and hope you feel better every day!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

No, your feathered stars are not too busy! They are lovely to look at. And I like the blissful expressions on both faces in your baby burrito painting!

Sara said...

The feathered stars are gorgeous - definitely not too busy! The baby burrito painting is very sweet.

Duke said...

Love your star blocks! The colors and pattern are so beautiful.

DVArtist said...

These start blocks are fabulous! I so love the colors. Wonderful faces and art. Thank you for joining FFO and have a fabulous day.

peppylady (Dora) said...

It been a couple of months since I been on sewing machine.

Kathleen said...

Beautiful orange blocks and lovely baby picture. The story and your reflection...so touching.

Gillena Cox said...

Wow. All so fantastic. Cannot say i have a favourite today.

Thanks for linking to Art For Fun Friday

much♡love

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love those feathered stars, LeeAnna! So intricate. I'm glad to hear you were to do more this week than last.

Julie in GA said...

I love your feathered star blocks, great colors! They don't look too busy together to me.

Mae Travels said...

Gaining strength every day sounds like a very good situation!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your ORANGE Feathered Star block looks gorgeous with the warm color ones, LeeAnna. That quilt is going to be incredible! Sorry the making was such a process, but glad to hear that you were able to get it done this week (when you weren't able to do the work last week.) Kudos for focusing on the progress you've made!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Your orange feather star block looks super. I'm glad you are figuring out how to stitch the block in spite of having little strength. You painting is lovely. . .my heart melted when I read the inspiration behind it!

Tails Around the Ranch said...

What a beautiful quilt design! LOVE it.

Susie H said...

What an adorable painting!! Love the sentiment on both the back & front. Such talent you have. Wish you were feeling way better instead of a little better but progress is progress. It's amazing you are able to manage to do anything. Love your orange block!

Nann said...

The feathered stars are wonderful. Not oo busy at all.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

What a sweet vision of that baby! Hopefully the vision will inspire you to keep pushing past your pain. What you are creating is beautiful! Love the feathered star blocks. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/09/04/wednesday-wait-loss-396

Rebecca Grace said...

Those blocks are looking fabulous. I know I'm a weirdo for this, but I love taking those papers off the back. It feels wicked somehow, like I cheated with FPP and now I'm going to remove all the paper evidence so the future quilt historians will just think I was a perfect patchwork piecer. Not that anyone cares, but pretending I'm "up to something" makes the paper removal more fun. Love that sweet watercolor sketch for the chiropractor's baby!

time4stitchn said...

Kudos to you for all that you HAVE accomplished. Your paper pieced blocks are beautiful and even better when they are together. Your creativity is catching. Thanks !

Gwyned Trefethen said...

I would never know you had a dearth of orange scraps. There are quite a variety in your block. Podcasts and audiobooks are also great for mindless hand sewing or pull off the paper from paper pieced blocks. Those blocks are anything but mindless. I love how they are coming together.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Your orange feather star is wonderful, bravo for the work accomplished, despite the pain and weakness. You rock! The calendar page is beautiful, at first I thought you'd done it, it's so your style. Lovely mother and baby drawing, it shows beautifully the love between them. Thank you for sharing your art.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Love that feathered block. Glad you are feeling ab it better - here is to continued progress!