Thursday, January 4, 2024

I Like Thursday # 383 A new year, a new recipe, a movie and a poodle

 

welcome to this week's list of likes. Starting with a captured glimpse of my plant that made a distinct heart in it's leaves..... just noticed it while settling in to watch a movie...

 Milo's Moment, first today

we watched a funny smart character driven movie on Netflix NYE. A 2 hour movie that took 3 hours to watch (thanks to pause buttons now on the tv remote) because we have Milo. 

Milo seems to feel it's his moral obligation to keep us diverted from staring ahead, which must be what he thinks we are doing, sort of like mini- seizures or falling into mutual comas. He interrupts us to check that we are still alive and able to give him treats. 

one of us will eventually come out of the delicious movie trance to say, "what does he want now?!"The other of us will inevitably say, "I don't knowwwwwwww!" 

When we give in and pause the tv he leaps to action, demanding water or outside or feed me or chase me or tug on the other leg of this octopus so he knows we are still here. It's the stare though, the intense poodle look that bores through your mind and demands attention,. 

 When I shift my gaze to his eyes, lowered in his head to bore more intensly into me, he suddenly tilts his head and smiles, and I imagine says, there you are! I thought you were a goner! Let's play/eat/drink/go outside/have dessert/or run around the room! 

do something!

He is 6 years old (when did that happen??!) and for the last 6 years we have not seen an uninterrupted show on tv of any duration. 

I used to wonder why my older married sister told her kids and me, "I'm watching a movie tonight, starting at 7 and will not talk to you, listen to you, fix food for you or in general acknowledge your presence" 

Hmph! we'd all say! what's up with her?? 

Milo would have taken that as a challenge!

watching on TV

the really good, funny character driven movie we saw was Happiness for Beginners

Happiness for Beginners - Wikipedia

there is a new season of Great British Baking Show on, and a new season of Midsomer Murders both on Acorn love both of them

Our prompt 

this time is about appetizers... I asked dh what party appetizer he goes for first and true to form he said, "I don't know, hard cheese maybe" At a gathering or party I go for dips, spreads, and hot items. 

around here I sometimes prepare a dish with cheese, crackers, pepper jelly and a little spreader, apple slices, olives and if we have turkey sausage, slices of that. (Hickory Farms was out of it early in Dec so none for me this whole year)  Lately I've been trying new appetizers and we finally found puff pastry for sale at our grocers so I tried these

the recipe made 16 of them
https://www.joyousapron.com/spinach-pinwheels/

our puff pastry came with only one sheet so I have a bit of filling left to add to scrambled eggs

I had to bake them 5 min longer to crisp the pastry but pretty good!! 

I want to try this guy's recipe for jalepeno cheese bites... a crust made of panko and cheese and filling 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y5-buC0dfs&list=TLPQMDIwMTIwMjRRbrbsvJLDxw&index=2

I used to make quick appetizers with crescent rolls, cheese, and a slice of that turkey sausage baked, now there is soy in most prepared items.... I used to like a salmon log made with canned salmon, cream cheese, lemon juice and something.... I love a spread! 

long ago when we ate out, I loved outback's bloomin' onion. Back in Baltimore I just loved going to Little Italy and Amicci's and getting the garlic shrimp bowl... OMG y'all

this week I made something I remembered vaguely from childhood, potato pancakes, with leftover boiled potatoes. When I make Greek potatoes (another OMG food for us) I go ahead and clean peel and boil all the potatoes left over. This time we mashed them with sour cream, chives, S & P, garlic powder, egg. I formed them into small patties, coated them in a bit of flour and fried in butter...

By sheer will power we didn't eat all those made. They could have been appetizers if made just a bit smaller, but we used them in three meals as extras, and Milo got one made without chives or flour

Milo: yes, I got less than them. Again. I could have eaten all the big plate of them! 

well you got three kinds of cookies this week... the regular ones and this rice flour/applesauce/cheddar cheese cookie

doggie cheese cookies marked with an M
Milo: oh yes, I give these doggie cookies 4 paws up, which means I'll roll on my back for them!!!

Mama: oh really! better than Fox toy to nosh on?
 

Milo: heh heh... it had a squeaker that needed removing!

not an appetizer but tuna sandwich made with our home made buns

 

we subbed pumpkin seeds for sesame seeds

the grocery was out of hamburger buns again, so we made some from Jenny can cook's recipe 

 https://www.jennycancook.com/recipes/sesame-seed-hamburger-buns/  subbing in pumpkin seeds for the sesame seeds we didn't have. Easy peasy! I find I need to let things rise and rest a bit longer, at high alt. 

Y'all.... these are the BEST buns I've ever had, and I now trust Jenny on any recipe. Easy and big and perfect. We made 4 meals for the two of us with them all week and they were good to the last bite!

while looking at calendars I saw this one

 Looking for a new engagement calendar to sit by the computer. I ran across that one, making me laugh


 but purchased this one for the studio wall, so pretty and quilter-y

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BRQWR151/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I found out she has a wonderful fabric line, and all these freebies on her website! link to freebies here!

kelly rae roberts calendar from www.amberlotus.com

and another one for next to the computer:

birds of a feather calendar 2023 from www.amberlotus.com 

and for a hermit, that's a lot of calendars! I found one with 2 art prompts a day also, no dates so it will be just for inspiration! 

To finish up today, I got to chat with some friends this week, and just saying, I've been enjoying creative writing again, (it's on my goals list for this year) and have written several little stories already. 

If I had to say who I am at a party, I think I might say "I write, and I create art" 

Please visit these people to see their lists this week and let me know if you wrote one to be included

 

https://knittingquilter.blogspot.com/ 

https://tentoesinthewater.blogspot.com/

http://wordweaverart.blogspot.com/ 

grammajudyb.blogspot.com

https://comfortspiral.blogspot.com/


 
   LINKING WITH 

               friday smiles at a stitch in time

14 comments:

Joanne said...

Happy New Year !
2024 ! Hard to believe!
I have the " what was I thinking ? " moments :)
All your cooking and baking looks so gooood !
hugs, take care,
Joanne

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The spinach pinwheels and homemade sandwich rolls have me salivating! Your story about Milo when you're watching TV made me laugh. I always say I completely missed the 1980s (music, TV shows) because that's when I was having babies and taking care of little ones. No time for anything else! Have a good Thursday, LeeAnna!

Angela said...

Milo is so lucky to have you!

Cloudia said...

we adore Milo! Nice food too. Aloha


https://comfortspiral.blogspot.com/2024/01/comforting-embrace-of-expected.html

Joanne said...

What an adorable movie interrupter. LOL. We enjoyed Like Father too and while I have started Happiness for Beginners I keep turning away from it thinking I'd like to read the book first (but then when I go to the library I keep forgetting to pick up the book!).

Brian's Home Blog said...

Milo, dude we understand, who needs TV when they have the handsome you for entertainment! We use that pause button here too when we check on the kitty activity. Yum, all of those foods sure do look good. Thanks for joining Angel Brian's Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

grammajudyb said...

So much to like in your post today! Potato pancakes were staples in my family growing up. The leftover mashed potatoes from Sunday’s dinner had an egg stirred into them, shaped into patties and browned in a skillet. They didn’t have chives or sour cream or garlic , but I would love them that way now! I’ll keep those additions in mind next time I have extra mashed potatoes!! Good for you making burger buns. We’ve noticed that the store bought buns seem smaller and smaller! If you have a preformed burger, they are too little, Grrr! The spinach pinwheels look wonderful! You really got me to thinking about how to up my game in the kitchen!

Hope your 2024 turns out to be all you wished for!

Angie said...

Oh my goodness, LeeAnna, all this talk of food has made me very hungry. And I suspect this will continue as I visit all the other folks linking up today! Hmm, maybe I should go get something to nosh on while I visit!

I loved how you started off your post with Milo - who could deny those eyes? And he is darn right to check and make sure you are ok!!!!

Love movies that have terrific character development (and aren't gory), so Happiness for Beginners is now on my list!

Thanks for hosting I Like Thursday!

PaintedThread said...

How can Milo be that old?!? Those pinwheels look delicious. Goodness - look at that poor fox! Today was full of WTF moments. Whew!

Sara said...

Happy New Year! I had to chuckle about Milo interrupting your TV watching. He's a smarty pants and know how to get your attention. The appetizer I make fairly often is a bacon wrapped water chestnut. I soak the whole water chestnuts in soy sauce, roll them in sugar, and wrap in a half slice of bacon. Then bake. Even my picky husband likes them.

Kathleen said...

Perfect description of the dog interruptus behavior! I never thought he was wondering if we had left the planet!! Of course our thing was to give Percy a treat when we sat down, it worked for awhile when he could have a longer lasting treat...often times it was just another add in to the long list of when treats were required! MMMM on your food ...so yummy!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Milo is always too much of a distraction for me, I love him so much. We used to have a Bearded Collie that did the same thing. Whenever we watched TV he would stand right in front of it so you couldn't watch it but usually because he was ready to go out. My new girl dog does the oposite as she actually watched the TV and appears to dislike people in hats as she makes little quiet barking noises at them. Where would we be without them! Take care all of you and Happy New Year. Hugs, Angela xXx

Michelle said...

My Golden is a bit like Milo, in that he wants the attention! lol Also, I have many WTF moments each day. Thanks for linking up.

Susie H said...

Your sweet Milo got some yummy treats. We all spoil our pets, don't we? Lol! And the human pinwheel treats look delicious as well. Hope your week went well.