Thursday, December 14, 2023

I Like Thursday #380 trees, questions, raspberry shortbread and a poodle

 

welcome to this week's list of likes... starting with kitchen table that's as cleared off as it ever gets. I love the little snowman bowl, and it's holding stonewall kitchen's soft peppermints made with real sugar not corn syrup. I love a candy bowl! I made that table runner, and the cow placemats are red after all

 Mandala workshop

happy to be drawing/learning/painting again in my sketchbook. One can join her group to get prompts and I see they'd be good when you want to paint but don't know what to do

 I like the feel, if not the look of my new slippers. 

amazon (link here)

I developed Reynaud's syndrome in my toes and it caused much trouble last year, and I think I'm out of the woods. The doctor said to make sure I keep those toesies warm this winter, so... wool socks plus these plush slippers

Reading on Ebook 

 I love how many books Jenny colgan wrote for holidays...modern, clever, realistic family


 listened to on audio books: 

just finished this romance/mystery/action book, fun read, and good reader. Budding film maker at University, gets embroiled in a dangerous situation

 fine dining

I did try a couple new recipes. I made the cinnamon bread again, and baked a butternut squash (which is fairly new to us) made Greek lemon/olive oil/oregano baked potato wedges, and some other good things,.. The big happy was trying a new recipe for raspberry bars (recipe here: https://myfamilythyme.com/fabulous-five-ingredient-raspberry-bars/

SO good!

 she says to cut it into 24 cookies, and we w.o.u.l.d. but we had some the first night for dessert! 

I figure we ate a lot of butter that night... it's like shortbread with raspberry flavor

I'll cut the rest into smaller squares
I made chocolate covered cherries again. This time just about each stage was a disaster! last time it was easy. They must be made, then allowed to rest for a month for the sugar to dissolve around the cherries
recipe here: Amish chocolate covered cherries

Of course my chocolate wouldn't coat them and I had to go in a day later and patch the chocolate so they wouldn't leak all over. They are sitting resting on the counter to hopefully be ready around Christmas. I'd buy them but they are made with corn syrup and a host of icky chemicals.

well! This video of 100 restaurant food hacks to do at home is VERY informative

He is slightly annoying but great suggestions and I watched to the very end! (says a lot)


Our prompt questions are about Christmas Trees...If you don't celebrate Christmas, what special thing do you put up to celebrate your holiday season? 

  1. Real tree or fake tree?
  2. Star or angel?
  3. Tree up before Thanksgiving or after Thanksgiving?

 I love a real tree but all three of us have allergies to a real tree so... when we moved here into a house with a two story high family room (personally I'd have loved a loft built above the FR to use as a studio like in other homes, but the space is lovely) we bought a new tall very realistic tree. It's big and I like it in the room so I leave it up all year long, decorating it for other holidays!

 Growing up,  our family had a real tree covered in ornaments and tinsel. Oh the breathtaking view of a tinsel covered tree, gently moving and shimmering in a slight breeze... magical! Messy! I loved pulling apart each tinsel strand and putting it on just the right branch... for a while then tossing a lot of it to see where it landed! 

Then when I was a pre-teen my mother came home with a silver metallic tree, each branch had to be pulled from the paper sleeve and put in just the right hole on the trunk. Then, wait for it, a spotlight behind a turning multicolored wheel was aimed at it and Wowza! It was my job to set up and take down each year, returning each branch to the right sleeve and packed in the box. 

I am partial to stars... we always seemed to have a star on top, I have one in a box somewhere made by an artist, a metal multicolored stars all welded to each other in a magnificent burst of colors! We can't reach the top of ours here but I have two sequined butterflies to go up there. 

 I collect ornaments, and some recurring themes... sugar plum fairy ballerinas, one is a cow, this is a rabbit. I collect poodles, cows, whimsy.They don't all go up each year. 



I am a FIRM believer in stay in your holiday lane... I never put out Christmas decorations til after Thanksgiving. Before Thanksgiving I enjoy those colors and decorations, then Christmas! which stays up til epiphany or well, whenever I feel like I'm done with them. 

 what about you?

Milo's moments


 

lol, been listening to my husband talking to Milo? When Milo doesn't answer in English my husband turns to me and asks what does he want?  Milo turns to me to send the message, and I answer as if I know for sure what he wants.
somehow it's usually right 

Milo: Ho Ho Phoey! You don't listen enough to me Mama! I do NOT like this hat

I do not like that you bake yummy smelling things I can't have, I do not like you yelling at me to stop barking when a NEIGHBOR has come OUT of their house! I do like sleeping in, in my jimjams, under my little blanket on the big bed after you two get up. It's all cozy and big and I stretch out and snooze.

I also like the butternut squash, so I'd like a WHOLE one for just me please, cooked with butter. 

please visit these fine folks with lists of likes 

chasing my stories

https://knittingquilter.blogspot.com/ 

grammajudyb.blogspot.com

https://comfortspiral.blogspot.com/


 
   LINKING WITH 

               friday smiles at a stitch in time

 https://grammysgrid.com/unlimited-link-party-143/?utm_source=mailpoet&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=grammys-grid-news-for-datem-dated-datey-1



19 comments:

easyweimaraner said...

your christmas tree is wonderful... there are so much details and so much cute things... it should be there for the whole year...

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your tree is so pretty! I love the idea of keeping it up all year and decorating for different holidays. It's always fun to see what ornaments people have collected from here and there. And Milo, you look so cute in your Santa hat! Happy Thursday!

Helen said...

I share you memories of the tinsel. But where is it now? I never see it any more.

Angela said...

Oh, yes to the tinsel! Yes, to wool socks and slippers! They feel so cosy!

Sara said...

Your ornaments are fabulous and tell stories!! I also collect ornaments and have a couple of themes. I try to buy one on trips we've taken, and I collect icicles, stars, cardinals, and bells. The cardinals go onto the skinny pencil tree that stays up in the dining room all year - where I can enjoy seeing them. The rest goes onto the big artificial tree in the family room. We did real trees for a few years but my husband really hated the way they shed needles everywhere. I used to put a star on top of my tree, but the last few years I've done a cluster of "picks" that almost give the tree the look of wearing a hat.

PaintedThread said...

Reynaud's sucks. I hope those slippers help! Those raspberry bars look yummy!

Ahh... I loved the tinsel on the tree with the popcorn garlands. Happy memories threading popcorn each year.

Milo - I dig your hat!

sonja said...

real tree goes up after Thanksgiving.
i can not reach top with out a ladder
and i am a bit wabbly these days.
i do leave a pencil tree of some age up all year
to hang up horse ornaments and newly made small things upon.
i have a basket of colorful cloth pins so postcards and what not
gets pinned up. we have real noble tree this year
and we always set outside up on the deck. makes it easy sweeping fallen needles off into the hedge!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love your kitchen table and your Christmas tree! So inviting!! Your slippers look really nice. What happened to tinsel?? That was a staple when I was a kid. I guess it fell out of favor.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Your table looks so pretty and WOW, your Tree is gorgeous. I'm glad your toes are doing better and are happy being warm. Milo, I hope you at least get to taste something yum, tis the season. Thanks for joining Angel Brian's Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

Cloudia said...

What a pleasant Christmas visit especially with Milo! I am wishing you toasty toes and a happy Christmas. Aloha!

Lillian "sognafaret" said...

So much lovely

Annie said...

What a lovely tree and I always smile at Milo…he’s such a lovely dog.
Hugs,
Annie x

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Such a pretty tree which festively goes brilliantly with that fabulous runner! Ooh, that raspberry dessert looks soooo tasty. Might have to make a batch. Nothing better than raspberries except when there's lots of butter with them. 🤣

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Milo is just like our two, you get them nice hats and coats and they don't appreciate them at all. Your tree looks lovely but oh! the raspberry pudding now that is just the sort of thing I love. Sending hugs Angela xxx

Lisca said...

Lovely decorations!
Horrible to have Reynaud's in your toes. So keep them tootsies warm! As you say, real wool socks do help.
Your raspberry bars look sooo yummy! Thank you for the 'food hack' video. I enjoyed it and learnt some new things.
To answer your question, I have a fake tree with a star on top, but you knew that already if you read my blogpost.And I put it up after the 5th of December (Sinterklaas in the Netherlands). It comes down on the 6th of January (Three Kings or Epiphany).
When I was a child we to have a real tree in the 50s and 60s. My parents would put an old bed sheet on the floor as needles would fall, and after Christmas, they could just bundle up the whole tree and fallen needles and take it to the neighborhood bonfire pile.
It's a good thing Milo doesn't like climbing trees (or knocking it down) because yours is rally beautiful.
Hugs,
Lisca

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I speak for Ned as well; Tony cannot interpret his looks at all. You do so well with trying all the wonderful recipes. I wish I had the will to do so esp. seeing that raspberry dessert and raspberries are Tony's favourite fruit. That special tree from childhood sounds like a wowzer indeed. Much more exciting than the plain fir trees of my youth. You keep doing the wonderful creative ventures too, LeeAnna.

Kathleen said...

Your notes on the mandala are a piece of art themselves! I have no tree this year, but I miss my ornaments. I have some from our trees as a child and many from our 30 years together and some here, that need to go on the tree. It is artificial - cats were the first reason. Then, we never stayed for Christmas and were often gone for more than a week so I never changed. It is not even 6 ft tall, but I do like it and look forward to seeing it next year. Some years I get greens, but didn't manage that this year either!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wonderful Christmas tree! Pretty balerina, and other cute items ;)

Michelle said...

Milo is looking festive! lol I like it! I also like your slippers. I need a new pair. Socks are not cutting it right now. Thanks for linking up!