Thursday, December 21, 2023

I Like Thursday # 381 treats, paint, Christmas questions for you, and a poodle

 welcome to this week's list of likes... starting with painting again....

Let's get this party started!

LOL and  still laughing.... silent night like you've never heard it

https://youtube.com/shorts/7BiIqXPkOZk?si=UdUYyFT9IJL7Dl8c

I had the best time watching Reindeer games at Big Brother this season, hilarious fun challenges. I also am sad Amazing race is over but would have been content for any of the 3 teams to win. That's nice! I'm writing this Wed afternoon, so the finale of Survivor is on tonight, Yea! but... I wanted Emily to win, she's out, then Drew to win, he's out, so now I guess for me it's Austin. 

virtual visits

It was so good to talk to Patricia (Miaismine) of the I Like people this week. She is a treasure!

I was glad to at least get a few of my cards out, better late than never I hope. The sentiment is the same

 Fine listening....

 carol of the bells on dulcimer, amazing to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN3KWbpBsvg


fine dining

I tried this recipe for lunch one day... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MX1WSwZE04

Greek orzo/olive/roasted red pepper/lemon/feta skillet 

 

I do not like to cook, but if I have to I like quick tasty meals.

these chewy coconut cookies have taken our first place tasting cookie this year

https://www.food.com/recipe/chewy-coconut-cookies-277118 

no kidding, these are the best yet

Listen to this vintage music as you read about my life at the holidays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myyAkYqykbs

our prompt this week: 

Unwrapping gifts on Xmas Eve or Xmas morning?

do you prefer Christmas or New years? Do you have a usual way to spend NYE and or NYDay?

We traditionally open gifts on Christmas morning. I remember once, as a child of about age 8, I was dying to know what my granny put in that heavy tiny package... I was so obsessed they let me open it Christmas Eve... it was a roll of quarters! A treasure for sure that year! I laughed because I never would have guessed, and granny had so many to give gifts to, and I got money! Freedom! (candy...) 

I love a gift, but seldom get ones any more. I love pretty paper, pretty ribbons and the anticipation. 

I love the build up to Christmas but always feel slightly let down later in the day... never had loving family to spend it with I suppose, so now we eat well, and watch Milo play with his new toys, and watch PBS "call the midwife" and "All creatures great and small" always on that night. 

I do love NYE and getting dressed up and going to a dance or party. It's that hope that one day will turn the tide and life will be all we hoped. And sparkly clothes and appetizers and champagne. 

NYDay we must have the traditional southern foods... greens (collards) for money, black eyed peas for luck, pecan pie for sweetness. Citrus salad because my father worked with citrus in Florida and we had a mix of sectioned ruby grapefruit, sectioned navel oranges, bananas, cherries, coconut, fresh pineapple... I suppose that's for health. 

 

with some home made cinnamon bread, and coffee with milk... a fine breakfast!


I believe what you do on the first day of the year, represents that year for you. 

Sorry no pictures to share... of little LeeAnna in a red and green plaid dress complete with crinolines and patent leather mary jane shoes, but I remember the magic of the morning with a pile of gifts and one or two focus ones open, like a tricycle, or a doll house and stockings. I think I loved all the wee gifts in a stocking the most of all. 


 

I remember the year of roller skates that gripped your shoes and held up to cement sidewalks. I remember the year of a ukelele, the year of a really tall big girl bike with stops on the handles. I remember the year my middle sister (12 years older than I) gave me the minnie mouse watch I'd been pining for... I remember the year of Chatty Cathy who had tiny records that could be inserted in her side, and when the string was pulled she talked, and she went everywhere with me possible. 

In Tampa, the Wonder Bread factory gave tours on Christmas Eve and we were given tiny little girl sized loafs of bread! I remember watching "Babes in Toyland" on our old TV.

It's good to remember fun times and balance less happy memories of holidays, good to remember the good. I was that little girl, and that preteen, the high schooler, the college girl home for a few weeks, and when I launched I started new traditions for myself. I'm happy this year to have my husband and beloved Milo by my side, sharing what comes. 

Milo's Moments

ho ho ho, I smell an oat/pumpkin muffin in my bowl!!!

Mama: Milo come back... we aren't done with the grooming and shaving and brushing! 

Milo: No

Mama: Honey! come on let's get this over with... Come on... please come! 

Milo: No. just, no. Hey, don't come back here with the long arm of the Daddy to enforce your orders! 

Oh, Okay okay I'm getting up (slowly rises, looks around for escape, gingerly steps one poodle foot with long nails and hair on it, out of the bed...) 

Mama: Oh good BOY! This won't take long if you don't keep pulling your feet out of my hands...

Milo: (dream on Mama) just get it over with and try not to touch me more than necessary. Heyyyy, I look good!!! and I feel good! Let's run outside and get this soap smell off me while I pee on my front leg!

Mama: S  I  G  H    I love you Milo!

now please visit these people to see what they liked this week. If you feel like it I'd love to hear your answers to the prompts, and let me know if you did a post I can include here! 


please visit these fine folks with lists of likes 

https://tentoesinthewater.blogspot.com/ 

chasing my stories

https://knittingquilter.blogspot.com/ 

grammajudyb.blogspot.com

https://comfortspiral.blogspot.com/


 
   LINKING WITH 

               friday smiles at a stitch in time





 

15 comments:

Kathleen said...

Christmas Eve we spend with my side of the family (most years). It is always a delightful time (well there were a few bad times but that is in the past) with lots of noise and lots of food and drink. Christmas is quieter, opening presents (not the adults in our family) and enjoying a polish meal at my sisters - homemade pierogis from the nearby church. New Years eve we celebrate quitely. I am thinking of doing a SAL that day, just for something different, or I could just do what I have and be happy with that! On the road in a bit....back in Maine on Thursday the 28th.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Ooh, Chatty Kathy! I had one of those dolls! I'm sure I had a red and green plaid dress, too - in fact, my two sisters and I probably had matching dresses. You've got a good memory, LeeAnna! Wishing you, Drew, and Milo a wonderful Christmas - it might even be a white one!

Angela said...

We gave Banksy his new dog toy early. It is so much fun to watch him enjoy it.

Sandy said...

We always opened one gift Christmas Eve, from Grandma because she always had new PJ's for us to wear to bed. Everything else was Christmas morning, after all Santa couldn't come while we were up; so had to scoot to bed.
Sandy's Space

Rosemary Dickinson said...

We open gifts at my mom's house Christmas Eve, but most gifts are opened on Christmas Day. This year is so different since my son is engaged and my daughter is going to her boyfriend's family. I guess I have to get used to a new normal! Have a Merry Christmas!

Cloudia said...

Just a quiet magical night waiting for the animals to speak at midnight. Aloha!

Angie said...

LeeAnna - the orzo recipe looks delicious, and I like anything with coconut in it. And then I saw your bowl of citrus. Oh my!!! My Dad loved citrus of all kinds, and he made an art out of sectioning pink grapefruit. I can taste it now, with just a touch of salt to bring out the sweetness.

You have marvelous Christmas memories - I was particularly touched by the mention of the skates with the metal grips. I had some of those, too!

Thanks for another year dedicated to hosting I Like Thursday, and all that you do for the blogging community. Brava!

Sara said...

The snow globe painting is very cute. We don't have any New Year's traditions anymore, although we used to go skiing every year over New Years with 2 or 3 other couples.

Annie said...

We always opened presents on Christmas Day but as my Dad often had to work we waited until he came home at lunchtime…but I was always allowed to open one I the morning.
I hope you enjoy your day.
Hugs,
Annie x

Lisca said...

In the Netherlands, where I grew up, we got our presents on the eve of St Nicolas (5th dec) and that was a big thing. But Christmas was quiet. I don't remember any childhood Christmasses.
As an adult in Italy we would have little presentds and we would eat panettone. Then later when I was married to Graham and we lived in the UK, we would go to the midnight service on Christmas Eve and then have a lie-in in Christmas Day. Graham would coo9k a traditional English Christmas dinner with a turkey and all the trimmings.
This year I'm having visitors and they are arriving around midday, so I will cook them a nice meal.(Don't know what yet)
Wishing you and all your family a very lovely Christmas,
Hugs,
Lisca

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I love the Christmas globe and the little dog singing brought back sweet memories. I used to have a Border Terrier and he would sing any chance he had. I have never seen that musical instrument before but it sounds beautiful. The tradition in the UK is to open gifts on Christmas day as Santa has to deliver them Christmas eve. Milo is a sweetie. He reminds me of a Bearded Collie we used to have. He would go to the groomers and couldn't wait when he got home to find something smellie to roll in, he was not impressed with the sweet smells they applied to him. I hope you all have a very happy Christmas and extra hugs for Milo xXx

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Sweet Christmas memories you have shared - I had the same gifts as a child and I do remember my Chatty Cathy doll, too. As we get older, life does change and
Christmas does, too, from year to year. My children all have families of their own, and in-laws and friends, so sometimes we don't celebrate on the actual holiday any longer. This year we are going to gather at my daughter's house on Christmas Eve and the Mr. and I will have a quiet Christmas day at home with the two dogs. Your Christmas day meal sounds lovely and I hope that you have a beautiful and peaceful day. Your painting is wonderful. Hugs xo K

Quinn said...

I used to sing cheerful songs loudly while trimming the nails of a pull-back dog. I think it was slightly distracting, either because it was such an unusual thing or, just maybe, because of my singing voice. Either way, it gave me that extra split-second sometimes, just when it was needed ;)
Your fruit salad picture made my mouth water! Next grocery trip...

mamapez5 said...

The choir I used to be in,always say 'Carol of the bells' at our Christmas concerts. It was nice to hear it played on such an interesting instrument.
Some of your food sounds lovely.
I have always loved Christmas Day, starting when we emerged from mid-night mass. It was always a family occasion, and after we moved away from our roots, when I was seven, we traveled back to spend the day with my older, married sister and her brood of children.
I remember the day when I was about ten, when I reeled off to my Sunday-school teacher, all the things Father Christmas had given me, but when asked, I added, "No. Mum and Dad didn't give me anything". Ah the sweet innocence of children then. That was the year I learned the truth!
NYE is a bit of a non-event these days. We used to party, but these days we tend to stay at home and watch the celebrations in Madrid on the TV. Then at 1.00 (Mid-night in UK), we watch the London fireworks and Big Ben striking 12.00, raise a glass to friends and family back at 'home', and then go to bed!
Wishing, you and yours a very Happy Christmas and a Joyful New Year. Kate x































PaintedThread said...

Merry Christmas! I hope you're enjoying the holiday. :-)