Saturday, December 9, 2023

finally som sewing time... and nod to drawing and painting with a wish list

I am trying to get back in studio to make things. I wanted to paint cards, bead ornaments, and sew. I haven't had time to do anything til this this week. I dragged out the scrap bag of Christmas fabrics, and found 6 star blocks the same size.

I think I made them each to test a pattern and just used the same bag of scraps for all... I decided to make a single person quilt for the bed... so I added in a couple more stars

then tried to find a fabric to insert in spaces between. Amazing, my entire stash didn't have one that worked! So I got out my little box of 2" squares and just put some in the space to see what it might look like

I like it but I'll have to cut squares 3" to make a 12.5" block...

70 3" squares cut

then I have to pick a background for the squares... oh no... that's a problem as I want it Christmas colors but have used beige, tan, green and red... and now nothing works as background!

Crikey! what now???

better take a break to have a sweetie

felt pincushion made years ago

DH comes in to hand me this and say....

"here, this half square triangle was in the washer" which means he is an honorary member of the Husbands-who- live-with-quilters   and something gets in...

I hung up some Christmas favorites this week, and here's Santa vacationing in Florida

I'll share more later... 

I'm trying to take a mandala workshop but run out of time. 

I found this list of AWESOME artistic gifts of supplies any painter would want: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvWUpAxTXl8

now to use the supplies I already have...

Linking with

linking to:

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts

https://songbirddesigns.blog/monday-musings-6-26-23/ 

finished or not

off the wall Fridays

12 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your star quilt is going to be a pretty one! I like the chain blocks that you're planning to use in between. So glad you're getting a chance to get back to your sewing and other crafts - that makes such a huge difference in our mental health. Enjoy!

The Joyful Quilter said...

From here, ALL of those background fabrics appear to work! Have fun figuring it all out. LOVE the Irish Chain as an alternate block!!

PaintedThread said...

Ha - that pincushion looks delicious!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Love the stars and chain blocks! It is looking great!

Susie H said...

What a beautiful find those star blocks were! I love how you're setting them. Glad you found a little sewing time. Keeps us quilters grounded.

Kathleen said...

I am late to the party....but I do like the chains. I wonder if there is a print somewhere that would work....slightly printed. I was also thinking you could use the 2 1/2" scraps and just add another row, or a border around each block. Maybe you can go scrappy with the backgrounds too....I do hate it when I don't have the right fabric!!!! And I know you don't just hop in the store and go to a store.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Nice to have you back in the sewing room! Those stars are pretty, and the alternate pattern is a great idea. What about green background with red squares, and vice versa?
Cute and yummy pincushion ;)
Thank you for sharing your lovely festive projects!

Sara said...

You have such a great eye for color. All of the backgrounds look good to me.

Laurie said...

I'm glad you were able to get back in the studio to do some work. Your Christmas quilt is going to be beautiful. Like you, I'd like to get to some cards made. I use colored pencils to color the images for mine - and I even have some colored. But I have a bottleneck at the part of the project where I am supposed to mount the finished colored piece on a card blank. I'm not sure why I find that such a hard part of the process...

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Your Christmas stars are beautiful. .. what about a grey background or a navy background? I'm glad to see you stitching again. That pincushion is super cute!!! Your hubby is top notch. Mine once helped me look for a hexagon that I had cut but misplaced. . .it was at least a 30 min look. . .didn't find it. A week later, he was cleaning the car. . .yep, he found it. How it got there I have no idea. It may have taken a ride on my clothing when I went to the post office!!! Now all small bits if "found" fabric are laid carefully on my sewing table in case it is important!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Love the Christmas Stars and the alternate block you will make to connect them. I can see where the background might be hard to choose but I have every confidence you'll find the right one! You are so creative. So glad to see you back and sewing!

My thought is perhaps a light beige to contrast with the corner stars, or a white with some beige in it. Can't wait to see what you choose! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss. https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/12/13/wednesday-wait-loss-358

Susan said...

Hmm, I have no suggestions for the background issue. I know you'll figure it out.