Sunday, December 17, 2023

creativity in the holidays quilt, painted cards, and mandalas

 


I've been trying to catch up on the things I wanted to do this season,..

we are just about  cleaned up from the long illness although DH is still coughing, and I am just feeling safe to turn my head to art again! 

quick sketch
 I missed you! 



My paints paper brushes and ink pens have been used, starting with 2 tutorials (beginners)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRxRkMx3etA&t=43s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Q8tObxPF0&t=931s 

Surprisingly the best I felt was when I was painting... here are some Christmas card inserts for  friends.,.. I plan to just include them in case my clever friends want to make something with them, or just prop them up on a desktop


 
My sketchbook has been used this week...  with some mandala tutorials


 

I even sewed a little on the star quilt, the Defiant star quilt... no fabric works for the background around the chain blocks

None of my fabrics worked well for this, either they were great color-wise but not enough yardage, or too busy prints, or colors were off. A simple idea has turned into a thing...I thought this lovely golden color with metallic gold sparkles was perfect til I sewed three blocks..... and the values are too similar to the chain blocks. 

 It's just a scrap quilt. I wanted to tame the movement by using one fabric behind all the chain squares... and had enough of this one. 

 I am enjoying some sewn items from prior years:

felted stuffies, are happy to see when passing by this table

a table runner hung vertically in the stairwell

it's so satisfying making crafts and art isn't it? I missed that aspect in the last 2 months... there is something about losing yourself in the making.

BTW, I'd love you to visit this post to see decorations and read about the things I liked last week: 

https://lapaylor.blogspot.com/2023/12/i-like-thursday-380-trees-questions.html


 

linking to:

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts

https://songbirddesigns.blog/monday-musings-6-26-23/ 

finished or not

off the wall Fridays


9 comments:

Helen said...

I love your hand painted cards! They're terrific. I especially like the stick/ornament/tree one you show at the top. Love it!

Sara said...

Your hand painted cards are beautiful. I've never thought about hanging a table runner on the wall - how clever is that!!! Time to steal that idea for sure!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I'm so happy that your husband is getting better, so you do. I love your cards, the little tree with charms is darling, and the balls are shining like reals ones! Fun decorations, and Milo looks gorgeous with his cute hat ;))
Thank you for sharing!

grammajudyb said...

What a good idea to include your small treasures in the Christmas greetings to friends and family. Your cute little stick tree is adorable. So glad your house is feeling better on all fronts! Physically and mentally and emotionally! Holiday greetings to you both!

Ann said...

Pretty Christmas cards. I intended to get some personal ones but didn't do it this year.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

So glad your DH is feeling better and that you're getting back to your art. Loved seeing your past Christmas projects. Those card are wonderful! What a gift to get in the mail. Have a lovely Christmas! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss. https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/12/20/wednesday-wait-loss-359

Christine said...

Lovely art and crafts Cathy!

DVArtist said...

Again you have accomplished so much beautiful art. I am sorry to here that your DH is still ill. Sending healing energy. Thank you for sharing with FFO and have the best Christmas.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I just love your watercolour Christmas cards!