Saturday, October 28, 2023

Making stuff with yarn, paper, fabric and beads!

 

sitting on the easel on hall table already!

light neutral scraps sewn improv fashion. Raw-edge applique bird, machine quilting, and hand beaded around the edge.... I call it Quiet Tweety-bird   and am entering it as my offering into Joy's Table Scraps for this month! 

I talked about this last week, that post is ( here...) including the inspiration for the bird



instead of batting I used peltex which is stiff but easily machine quilted. I put binding on the bottom edge so it can sit well on a mantel or easel. Then I used size 8 perle cotton to do a buttonhole stitch by hand, placing a bead on each stitch.

easy peasy. I used a mix bought long ago on sale at Michaels.... glad I had it to use! 

I prepared a sleeve to hand stitch to the back of kaleidoscope. A 6.25" strip of brown tree fabric across width of fabric, sewed with wrong sides together to make a tube. Carefully pressed the seam open to the back center of long tube, placed that seam side next to quilt and will whip stitch. Then I'll be able to hang it in the family room sliding the curtain rod through with no seams to catch the rod.

I tried an abstract painting using just a fan brush plus watercolor paints this week... just on an index card as an experiment....here are two colors painted in stripes with fan brush dragged through while paint was wet

what if I tried more colors over them, dipping fan into wet paint and diff direction

how interesting... kind of like Seurat's dots of color, I see how this could be used... then as I am wont to do, I went one or two steps too far, painting more lines!

still fun...

I also tried this with gold ink, VERY cool, and used it as background to design a composition for a friend's beloved cat, who left us too soon... I'll keep that pic for later

Next up some knitting... a finish! Just in time for the heat to break and snow to start, all at the same time. My cowl was knitted in the round with moss stitch, new to me. 

used wool-ease yarn in 'cranberry"

 a new to me way of binding off a knitted project... stretchy cast off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha_WXEGE4yg

and it's done, fits well and feels terrific

started a pair of socks for me 

I knit at night while listening to TV, and it can be hard to put down... just one more row to see the color show up!
 

so that's about it for creative time this week... please tell me what you're making! 

linking to: 

https://thejoyfulquilter.blogspot.com/2023/10/october-2023-abc-table-scraps-challenge.html

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts

https://songbirddesigns.blog/monday-musings-6-26-23/ 

finished or not

off the wall Fridays

12 comments:

Sara said...

Love how those beads along the edge give that piece just the right bit of glam.

The Joyful Quilter said...

OMG! Your QUIET TWEETY-bird is ADORABLE!!! You really went the extra mile with that beaded edging, didn't you? Thanks for linking your project with the ABC (Table) SCRAPS Challenge, LeeAnna!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your little bird mini turned out wonderfully! I love the beads around the edge - what a fun addition. That's a pretty stitch on your new cowl, too. I think you could wear it right away today!

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Cute little bird, just right for the season.
I LOVE your Kool Kaleidoscope. The colors of course, and especially how you quilted lines radiating out from it. Brilliant!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I love the finishing of the bird mini quilt! These beads are a great addition, and it really looks like you captured a piece of beach ;)
Thank you for sharing your knitting and painting too, and linking up!

Tails Around the Ranch said...

You're so clever and creative. Nicely done.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Just love your long legged bird who looks like he's walking on his tippy toes. What a great project for Joy's tablescraps challenge.

grammajudyb said...

I was right! Your swirly breasted blackbird got the perfect finishing treatment! I want to try that technique. Maybe November Table Scraps Challenge!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

So much loveliness! Kaleidoscope is gorgeous! The knit cowl is such a lovely color, as are your socks. Perfect projects now that we are getting cooler. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/11/01/wednesday-wait-loss-352

Susan said...

Your creativity, especially in different mediums, continues to impress! Keep those projects coming

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi LeeAnna, your Quiet Tweety-bird is really cute. Those beads are a great idea!

Tails Around the Ranch said...

You're too creatively clever! Always love your creations.