Saturday, October 14, 2023

creativity : learning new techniques and using my supplies... paints, inks and fabric art this week

 

this creative week was mostly focused on paint, ink and binding a finished quilt

I had two free workshops plus Inkktober prompts this week, which means very limited instruction time in which to take lessons

The little lamb above was challenging for me because I had to work with acrylic paints. hard for me to mix and use as they dry so fast here

I have a small set of acrylic paints in tubes, and I painted the background with a palette knife. 

I thought it was too harsh til I looked out the back door at our sunset one night, and it looked nearly exactly the same!!! Sometimes when critiquing our own work, we need distance of time in order to see it anew. 

acrylic set, and gouache set
 I used gouache watercolor paint and it really was unstable, so I learned how supplies behave in different circumstances. 

Each morning I try a new way to ink for "Inktober" and this came from using up the dabs of gouache left on the plastic lid I used as a disposable palette, waste not want not.  Loved the sentiment I saw online...

done on an index card

some prompts are words, like "rise"

and some are new to me pentangle lessons


" Bounce"

"toad"

the goal is to use your pens every day in Oct.   To move around, I went up to the studio to prepare and sew on the binding for the kaleidoscope quilt

I used an orange print, double fold, and hand stitch to the backing... a way to let go of that quilt

the needle threader is glued to a wood stand, it makes threading easy, then cut the thread and if I need to leave it, I store the needle in a scrap to find it easily when I'm ready to do more. 

I plan to finally put  these components into a quilt this year, hopefully this month as RSC color is light neutrals

back to lessons, this one was on "scribble portraits" 

inspiration image on L,  my beginning sketch on R.

I got out my sketching pencils... 3 tombow graphite in diff. harnesses, 6 watersoluble pencils in different hardnesses, stabilo all thin pencil that really disolves in water, my erasers, my shading brushstix to blend... a black ink pen, and a white paint pen by posca

Now it's done, and I finally stopped overworking it to correct flaws, I see my issue was proportion. The mouth is too high. She's not as pretty as the original image. It's a learning piece done in my regular sketchbook not watercolor paper. I do like the beads in her hair... the two colors of inks. 

I watched a couple lessons without attempting and started some hopefully to be finished this week

this was supposed to be a base sketch, then boldly paint drops of color all over it but... but...

she's just in the sketchook but I love her so much as she is... 

I can do lessons in short bursts, and move around to keep my back in better shape. I'd love to get stuck in to the process and forget time, but that would be injurious now. Know what I mean? 

I never thought I could draw, and thank everyone who offers lessons online for inspiring me to try, and for their wisdom in teaching... you make it easier.You give me tools to use in self expression!

Linking with

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts

https://songbirddesigns.blog/monday-musings-6-26-23/ 

finished or not

off the wall Fridays


9 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Hooray for a binding finish! And all those flying geese are intriguing, too. I'll look forward to seeing what you use them for. Your drawing of the woman in the sketchbook is lovely - I agree, she doesn't need any paint!

Helen said...

"Sometimes when critiquing our own work, we need distance of time in order to see it anew." Wise words, my friend!
The Pentangle idea looks intriguing!

grammajudyb said...

I’m always amazed by your drawings. I can barely draw a stick figure! Thanks for sharing! Such pretty binding on your Kaleidoscope quilt! And I too am interested in what you will do with that gaggle of neutral geese! Should be wonderful!

Sara said...

You obviously get a LOT from the online workshops. I haven't tried any of this type of class, but think it would be fun.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

So excited to see Kaleidoscope so close to a finish! Those neutral blocks are so pretty I can already see them in a quilt. It will be lovely! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss. https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/10/18/wednesday-wait-loss-350

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wonderful finish, and this orange binding is perfect with the backing too! Clever way to use the needle threader, it sure helps to have a large stand. I can't wait to see how you will use the flying geese ;)
Beautiful drawings, and paintings, you are so talented! I love the old leaves, and your ladies are lovely.
Thank you for sharing your art, and linking up.

My name is Erika. said...

That sheep is so sweet. You captured the eyes for certain. Happy weekend.

DVArtist said...

OMGosh that lamb is amazing. Just ecelent. you captured the eyes perfectly. I love all of your other art as well. The face is lovely. You are so talented. Thank you for sharing with FFO and have a lovely weekend.

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Such terrific artwork,LeeAnna. You're inspiring me to do some watercolors again soon. 💙