Thursday, October 5, 2023

I Like Thursday # 370 spices and poodle


welcome to this week's list of likes... starting with one of our halloween dishes holding breakfast, a turkey sausage patty and a pumpkin oat flour muffin

our prompt this week: 

what is an unusual herb or spice that you love now that you've tried it? How do you use it?

Did you grow up with these or start using them as adults?

 

here are a few special blends we like. We use the mexican fiesta seasoning when we make fajita's: We thinly slice onions and bell peppers, saute them in olive oil and a bit of cooking sherry, the seasoning and some lemon juice. Add in some cooked chicken strips, then make fajitas with avocado, tomato, sour cream, the veggie mix, and jalepeno slices. 

The adobo is for making cuban dishes, like yellow rice. I start by sauteing garlic and bell peppers in olive oil and butter, add in the yellow rice mix, 2 tsp adobo,  and chicken broth, and cook til it's gooey and tender, a longer time needed here in high altitudes than back in Florida. 

Curry is usually reserved for curry chicken salad. I mix into a can of cooked chicken, yogurt, mayo, celery and minced onion, dried cranberries (raisins or dates, whatever we have) some marmalade, the curry powder, and sometimes chopped apples. We eat it on green salads or make sandwiches. 

The thai sauce is a quick way to have a tasty dinner. In a sauce pan I saute veggies, usually fresh but sometimes a bag of frozen mixed vege. Some chicken strips, the jar of sauce rinsed out with cooking sherry and cook til tender. Over brown rice, it's a wonderful meal. 

Fresh ginger is a fave around here. I'll put some in the thai dish, in the curried chicken salad, in soups, and in sweet potato casserole along with butter, cream, cinnamon, orange peel, brown sugar. Yum. Ginger either minced or grated brightens up the flavor. You peel it with a spoon, the peel is thin. 

I grew up with deep south food, plain and not highly seasoned. I always added powdered garlic to whatever my mother made, not in her sight. I found out later in life, I was adopted and my birth father is Italian, 1st gen American. Guess I inherited some taste buds. We did often have very plain yellow rice from a mix, but not nearly as good as what we make here now.

Our family went to Pappas in Tarpon Springs for occasions out, so I did grow up with Greek food and still often make it for us. 

we made pizza this week, and glory be! The crust was wonderful this time, a bit crunchy on the bottom and chewy. We let the dough sit for nearly an hour this time instead of the recipe's 20 min. 

it made enough for 4 big pieces, or two lunches for us

reading 

Audio books... finished this one, and put next one on hold. 

 

now listening to this book:

 

reading my mystery on ebook still

Art--ing this week, and taking online painting workshops when I can concentrate. Sewing on this kaleidoscope almost finished quilting, story on Saturday... please come visit!

watercolored paper doll

 

Milo's Moment

Mama! Why not give me a piece of that pizza! 

Mama: you're not good with wheat honey, we gave you a rice flour cookie and your kibble...

Milo: (holding two paws an inch apart) you're this close to neglecting me! The smell of pizza is so good, and to be honest sometimes I eat the cardboard I tear up because it's the same as my kibbles!

fuggetaboutit... I'm going to the sofa for a nap. sheesh! 

now please visit these people to see what they like this week. If you want to join us let me know you did a post!

please visit these people to see what they liked this week!

grammajudyb.blogspot.com

https://wordweaverart.blogspot.com/
               friday smiles at a stitch in time



14 comments:

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi LeeAnna! What a cute pumpkin plate! My littles would just love that. Milo looks so cute on the loveseat with the trick or treat quilt. Happy Thursday to you. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Cute pumpkin plate! Pizza on homemade crust is the best - glad yours turned out so good this time. Thanks for the spice ideas! I'm not a creative cook, but sometimes it's the spices that make all the difference.

grammajudyb said...

Wow, I think I want to come to dinner at your house! All your meals sound wonderful! I’m making notes. I need to try yellow rice mix. Is it in the grocery store? Mouth watering over the muffin and sausage breakfast too! Off to peruse my pantry and make a grocery list!😁

Brian's Home Blog said...

That's a lot of goodies and the pizza sure looks yummy. Milo, Mama needs to make you a pizza you can eat. Thank you for the well wishes for our sweet Brian.

Helen said...

You're a very adventurous with your cooking and dining. Suddenly I feel boring!

PaintedThread said...

Look at all that lovely ginger root! That pizza looks great! I've had no luck making a good pizza crust.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love your pumpkin plate. So festive! I tend to use the same spices all the time. I don't think I'm very adventurous! Your pizza looks delicious!! I hope you're feeling better.

Unknown said...

I grew up on my mom's German cooking. Then I met my well traveled Navy vet husband and my Filipino SIL, and my spice world changed! Adobe, ginger, hot peppers, lots of garlic, different salts... I use it all now!! Anne

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Whoa...that fajita recipe sounds totally delish. I just may have to make some this weekend!

Kathleen said...

Your posts often make me hungry and this one is no exception. I don't cook a lot or have too many spices I use, but I do keep a mexican one that I make around. I also love za'atar...a mid-Eastern spice I like it on bread and roasted veggies.

Linda said...

Your post made me hungry! I'll be joining you next week to answer those awesome prompts. How neat to find out about your Italian roots. Love your pumpkin plate, and your pizza looks delicious. Hope you are having NO pain and looking forward to a glorious weekend.

Sara said...

I had to really think about spices. Then I remembered a conversation with friends a couple weeks ago about throwing out "old" spices. I discovered I am the only person in the group who uses paprika frequently. I put in on potatoes and on shrimp. And put it in the flour mixture to coat chicken. My friends all said they didn't even have a jar of paprika in the cupboard. Hmmm . . .

Michelle said...

I didn't grow up using those spices, but do now and I adore fresh ginger. I like making homemade pizza, but my husband likes the crust so thin and I can seem to get it thin enough! Thanks for linking up and have a great weekend.

Annie said...

I’m not a huge user of herbs and spices but I love the sound of what you make. Milly says she really sympathises with you Milo…her mum cooks chicken that smells amazing but she’s not allowed to eat it 😫
Hugs,
Annie x