Thursday, June 23, 2022

I Like Thursday # 303

 

summer mantel is pink!
welcome to this week's list of likes.... along with talking to friends on the phone and zoom....(Diane, Cindy and Joy)

my birds came back, the same birds we had two years ago as babies returned to sleep here on our front porch this year!


Fine dining:

 in an effort to use more oat than wheat I found an oat pancake recipe and we LOVE them... all of us

that's sunflower "butter" with chocolate  instead of Peanut butter

  https://thebigmansworld.com/oat-flour-pancakes/

mine seems small....

I also made french onion soup...

the recipe is here: https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/french_onion_soup/

I put in marsala wine because we keep a bottle to make chicken marsala, and no bay leaves, chicken broth instead of beef (allergic to beef) and whatever amount of onions I had. I think the true hint is to gently carmalize the onions in butter and olive olive, and the tsp of sugar, slowly til they all look golden and look right. 

Reading

Audio:, finally finished the really long book by Eliz Gilbert and started : it's so charmingly read that I recommend listening to the audio book instead of reading yourself

 on ebook for bedtime reading, the next book in the nantucket series, much easier to read at night than a murder mystery, even a cozy one

 

Listening to a story: when I get a migraine, sometimes dh can sit with me as I lie in a dark room waiting for sight to return, and he reads a book we keep for those times. often it was an Anne Hillerman but we're finished so it's an old one, one of the Ayla series of prehistoric people...Land of Painted Caves 

TV is sparse these days, hardly worth mentioning except for a few series we watch on roku

Land Management

still waiting for the wildflower seedlings to grow and flower, also the bell pepper seeds I kept from a pepper are sprouting, the bean seeds collected from last year's meager crop are doing nothing, and I went ahead and planted some basil... crossed fingers it comes up in the pots. We are squandering water on them all in hopes.... 

I admit it's been a pleasure to finish the workshops online from the last two weeks... feels like I'm on vacation. I've been co9oking again, sewing a good amount and I'll share that on Saturday and amazingly enough, did some spring cleaning!!! 

the previous owner said she always cleaned the wood floors and tiles with a steam cleaner. Huh? well since the bona system couldn't clean them, we got a small bissel steam mop that said it would be okay for wood... and tried it. We quickly dried them after, and I went over with bona. Looks fairly good, and the way I see it, that's good for a long time, now just vacuum and bona periodically. 

I like to go barefoot in the house, and we take off all shoes by the front door. Milo of course goes barefoot ALL summer. 

speaking of my curly haired son...

Milo: well, you wouldn't believe what happened here this week!!! I had three perfectly good ring toys that for no reason at all, Mama put up on top of the patio table by themselves apart from me!

Mama: well they were skinned, chewed until there were 3 HALF rings, and when daddy mowed we picked them up


 

Milo: well, one day I checked on the table and they were gone! I did a double take, then looked right at the Mama because things disappear when she's around... then went over to my outdoor toy box and looked all around in there. NO RINGS! I looked at Mama and she looked away, a sure sign of guilt...

Mama: well, hon, sometimes toys go to Heaven...?? 

Milo: they were abducted! No fair! They were Miiiiiiiiiiiiiineeeee!

Mama: Drew! are there any r-i-n-g- t-o-y-s in the stash??? Bring them out nowwwww!

Milo: Oooooo a brand new one, and one just barely chewed up in the back? Gimmmmeeee!

Mama: crisis averted.... 

Milo: well, I'm not letting them out of my sight now

but it's hot so let's get everyone into the house, I'll carry one and you two get the other one and the ball
 

open sesame....

please visit these fine peeps to see what they liked this week 

craftscaviescontras   

friday bliss



20 comments:

CountryDew said...

You sound very busy!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Love your mantle. Oh your pancakes sound yummy, and I am so glad that you are trying so many different recipes. I don't watch much TV, I have been watching Jamestown on PBS, when I watch TV, I binge watch. Oh Milo, you would love the new family dog Roxy, she skins, and unstuffs toys like there is no tomorrow, at 6 months old, and 100 lbs she is just a big goof, who at times thinks when she comes to grandma's house she is a lap dog. It gets hot, you go in. Bobbin seems to think it is time to lay out, her ears get very pink, and she melts into the driveway, but she is a happy girl. I only allow her to stay outside for 30 minutes at the most while I am working out though.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

What fun mantle decor, all in pink! Your new audiobook sounds fun, too. It looks like you need to find a source to buy Milo's ring toys in bulk!

Sara said...

Oats are so good in baking/cooking. I use steel cut oatmeal in meatloaf instead of bread. Always have. Bet those pancakes were scrumptious! And sunflower butter is just YUMMY!!

Milo cracks me up! Such a sweet funny dog.

Rebecca Jo said...

Isnt it amazing when animals return? A blue heron would always return to the pond at my parents & we always keep an eye out for it

The Not So Perfect Catholic said...

I love my Bona system! I probably need to invest in a steam cleaner but haven't. Sounds like you've been busy!
I'm going to check out the book you listened to...sounds like something I'd enjoy.

Angela said...

My email isn't working properly but yes I am participating. I really enjoy this!

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a fun summertime mantle display, LeeAnna! Thanks for the food links, as I'm always on the lookout for new and interesting recipes. Enjoy those new ring toys, Milo!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I have read the Pamela Kelley Nantucket series - so enjoyable (escapist to be sure, but we all need some of that). Must look up those oat pancakes . . .

Susie H said...

I loved the Clan of the Cave Bear series, all about Ayla. What a sweet dh you have! You are so right -- TV is minimal this month. Maybe something will show up decent to watch in July? Have fun finding your mojo again -- cooking, sewing, cleaning (?).

Sandee said...

Aw on the birds and aw on Milo too. I always love seeing Milo.

Have a fabulous Thankful Thursday. Scritches to Milo. ♥

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Love your pink mantle...so pretty. I've never tried
Oat Flour before...I'll have to give it a try. Another
recipe to try out...you Onion Soup...sounds delicious.
Milo is so funny...and cute. My I Like Thursday
is posted. Have a great day!

Jennifer said...

Sounds like you are enjoying summer...and you convinced me try that audio book!!:)

Angie said...

LeeAnna - I love French Onion soup! Haven't had it for a long time ... We have been in our new house for 4 years, and I reckon it's time to clean the wood floors (I use Bona weekly with a cloth mop). When I move furniture, I can see the difference in floor color. What type of wood are your floors? Ours are a soft woods.

Jim said...

Great shots.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Your curly haired child is hilarious!!!!
And the flamingos on the fireplace - LOVE them!!
Heres to No migraines!!!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love your mantle! I love that the birds came back to your house. I have Bona floor cleaner too. It's okay and easy to use. Oat pancakes sound great to me! Glad to see Milo is having fun!

PaintedThread said...

Love those flamingos! Those pancakes look good! I have a bell pepper that's sprouting - I hope it produces this year! Good luck with your garden.

Miaismine said...

Bless you for welcoming this precious family of birds back every year!
Hmm…you always present such interesting manners of cooking! I love learning from you! Oh yes! I love chicken marsala! Yum!
I empathize with you about your migraines. I’ve only had one and they are terrible! My husband suffers with them…leaving him in immense pain and me feeling so helpless! I pray yours diminish!
You seem to enjoy connecting via your online classes and such! That’s is awesome!
I love those rings chew toys! Have never seen them. Nice!
Take good care!

Tail Wag Wisdom said...

What a sweet conversation with Milo! I love how innocent it seems, but it's probably very accurate. So cute and Milo is adorable!