Saturday, June 18, 2022

Creativity round up with lots of pictures!

 welcome to this week's creative round up... the index card a day prompt was PLAY so I printed out three of my fave toys from childhood and the word in French, collaged them, and painted around. I wrote on the back as I am doing each day...
I am using a pretty hinged box to store my icad art... the one lying on top is from the prompt cyanotype

Mostly this week I was immersed in an embroidery workshop, (Embroidery Summit) 7 instructors a day X 5 days! I'll share some work in progress... it was my goal to learn new techniques and go back to finish them after the week was done. I used an old cut up blue shirt from dh, and scraps of fabric... I also used a painted piece of fabric as a base to work on through the week, adding to it daily


I experienced many forms of embroidery, like sewing through paper... I painted a figure on first


crochet... then slip stitching a design over, now that was fun!


>Ribbon embroidery... done differently than I've done in the past.

>lazy daisy stitches in variegated lavender to form lavender branch

> choosing stitches to best interpret different fonts while trying different threads from DMC

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

pet portraits... first trace the main lines from your own pet's photo, transfer to fabric. My error was in not using water soluble stabilizer to stitch through... it's gummy when soaked so I used tearway and it pulled on my stitches. 

It's not finished of course, there wasn't time to finish any project... but I learned...

I learned split stitch, and different ways to stitch leaves and branches...bouillon stitch several ways, turkey stitch (the fraying one) woven flowers combined with satin stitch


I'm highly excited to make delicate floral sprays with tiny french knots onto back stitched branches. I have something like these growing in a pot on the patio, but not this glorious variegated blue color!






a lot of teachers wanted to have us do the woven flowers but they are messy and eat up thread... so I stopped early here and finished with an outside row of lazy daisy stitches, and some golden French knots. I love the little bird... and want to finish this one. 

One of my favorite stitches is the leaf overlap stitch... very effective in variegated green thread. 

I have an ongoing love of French knots so making an entire flower head of them was lots of fun

I'm reminded that satin stitch isn't my favorite to do as it never quite looks full enough but this bee is going to look great... 




the 3-d pom pom flower is fun too!!!
last but not least is in honor of RSC to use bright blue scraps this month... a lesson in overlapping scraps and embroidering them into a finished piece....
gathering scraps and threads and extra's to couch down

the object is texture... silks, fraying, couched yarn, different stitches. Very collage, very messy, very abstract. There is difficult to use thick gold thread, sheers, boucle yarn. I repeated triangles in stitch as well as fabrics, in different angles.

now what to do with that??! a piece of that blue shirt made it's way in too!

I was mid binding and sleeve sewing on the Leaf Study... so it can be shown next week. For now, I think I'll stitch on these projects a bit more, but return to painting the coming week. 

patchwork Sunday                    

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts
lovelaughquilt.mondays 

finished or not


18 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

So much to look at, LeeAnna! You were SEW busy this week, but you sound relaxed about the Embroidery Summit. Wonder why? It will make an interesting point of discussion. Later today?

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That looks like quite an intense seminar! You tried lots of neat techniques, too. Love the flower with the bird!

Sara said...

Eye candy everywhere I looked. Wow! The different techniques are really interesting and so pretty. My grandma taught me quite a few different stitches, but nothing like what you are learning. Impressive!

MissPat said...

You've been busy! It was 46 degrees this morning when I got up. We've been on a temperature roller coaster forever (it was 90 on Thurs and will be near 90 this Wed). I'm woefully behind on commenting and owe you a catch-up email. I haven't been getting email notifications for your posts again, so I pop in when you show up in links on other blog link-ups.
Pat

grammajudyb said...

What fun to have such varied stitches. Satin stitch is not my favorite either, though I’ve learned to be less critical of myself and it’s all good in the finished piece. French knots and lazy daisy stitches make great flower! Go You!

Miaismine said...

Hello there! Your notecard a day brought back so many happy memories! And now, I enjoy those games with my grandchildren. What a pretty storage box!
Your embroidery projects spell hopeful and play to me. How fun is that crochet/embroidery?
You totally captured Milo’s kind expression!
Isn’t it nice to be able to jump between various crafts as the mood strikes?
Take good care!

Susie H said...

Wow! There was a lot of creative juices overflowing here. So much texture and color to look at. I'd say you had a GREAT week of playing and learning.

Sherrie said...

Hi Lee Anna,
I love your index card ideas...I've started one, but who knows how
long I'll keep up with it. All your embroidery looks awesome and your
I like your little block of different strips of fabric with
embroidery. So pretty. Have a great day!

Sandy said...

LOVE the bumble bee. All your details are great. Painting and embroidery together, great idea.
Traveling Suitcase

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the embroidery summit so much and were able to play with a different way of completing a technique. I hope you will carve some time to finish the projects you started when the summit ends! The embroidery is beautiful!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

What a great variety of textures you are using!

Joanne said...

What you did is so cool ! To give everything a try ! Doesn't matter that you didin't finish. Starting a project is much better that not starting one at all !
Well done you !
Love all the colours !
hugs, Take care,
Joanne

Debra said...

I Love all your embroideries! and colors!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Wow that was some workshop! Looks like you learned so much. Even unfinished, your working pieces are lovely. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

MY MUSINGS said...

I really like your needlework!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

So many examples of pretty stitches...how wonderful to be led through these lessons. Always things to learn. I love that leaf stitch as well. Keep stitching and enjoying the learning too.

riitta k said...

You are very creative Leeanna! I’m afraid I have forgotten all different stitches. When I was enthusiastic about crazy quilting, I did some stitching & embroidery too. Nowadays I read or spend my days out in the garden. Hugs to Milo, too!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Your embroidery is Amazing!