Saturday, December 11, 2021

sewing saturday hexis and octagons... what fun!

 

for this week's sewing round up... I offer up my hexi blocks for the RSC project and the octagon Christmas project that I am obsessed with. Both use scraps... 

as I always say, little scraps  create beautiful quilts and life's little moments create a beautiful life.

 I love black labs... dogs...

kitsch from the 50's and 60's

color and pattern

and have learned a lot while making octagon quilt blocks, and am now more than halfway through making them.

pattern source missour star quilts

when I got the idea of making a fussy cut quilt like the one in the pattern, it quickly became a slower project with fussy cutting Christmas prints from my stash, and finding fun scraps for the joining strips. In my mind I saw the fussy cut centers like they looked on the design wall...

but to keep them like that I'd have to use one solid fabric behind each of them, and what fun would that be for someone like me who loves variety and color?? I was surprised that the pineapple like design took center stage when glancing at this. Joy reminded me the centers still run the show but you have to be closer to see them. The blocks go together to be 60" then borders are added. A great cuddle size!

For the RSC blocks this month, I'm using dark neutrals... neutrals this time mean dark backgrounds!


I made three blocks (cut 5" squares, RSF, measure over 1 1/8th inch from top right

measure over 1 1/8th in from bottom left, connect the dots and cut on the diagonal

keep pairs together and stitch on straight sides, open and then connect 3 pairs to make the hexi, which is about 9" across as a block. 

I will show you close ups of these and the one pink one I made too... now I have 30 blocks and don't know how I'll set them yet because the design wall is busy at the moment (!) 









Setting blocks can be stressful to me, so I'll do that after the Christmas quilt is finished. Plus my back has really been bad and interrupts my studio time... I did learn I liked one fabric strip on all four sides of the color pineapple area. Learning anything is good, right? 

happy sewing y'all

linking with

patchwork Sunday                    

 

17 comments:

Sara said...

Those fussy cut Christmas fabrics are such little treasures! You chose that pineapple block look that really looks fabulous with those centers. Wow!!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Love your fussy cut Christmas hexagons and the resulting blocks! That's going to make a great quilt!

PaintedThread said...

Those Christmas blocks are so cute!

grammajudyb said...

Loving your Christmas pineapple-like blocks! What a fabulous quilt they will make!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Oh I love your Christmas Octagons. Of course I had to wander over and check out the pattern at MSQC. You have the most awesome stash.

MissPat said...

I love your fussy cut octagons. I have a ton of Christmas fabric, but most of it is too boring to fussy cut.
Pat

The Joyful Quilter said...

OMG! Those dancing snowmen are SEW darling!!! I'm in love with that pineapple-esque project on the design wall, LeeAnna. I can totally see why you are obsessed with it!

Kaja said...

I love these fussy cut blocks. Are the flying geese on the design wall going in the same quilt?

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Lovely and cute Christmas fussy cut blocks! The ones for RSC quilt are beautiful too. Thank you for sharing, and linking up ;)

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Such adorable hexi centers! Especially love that Lab fabric.

QuiltGranma said...

It is always interesting to see what fun you have been up to lately.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The Christmas prints are so adorable! I know you'll love having this one done to enjoy. Take care of yourself! Holiday hugs!

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Beautiful quilts to be working on...I really
like the pineapple quilt blocks..have a great day!

Norma Schlager said...

This quilt is so, so cute! You have the best collection of conversation fabrics and put them to such good use.

Vivian said...

The love the saying and love the blocks! Those fussy cuts are just too darn cute. My Christmas obsession right now is hexie snowflakes. They should have been done but I'm enjoying the process none the less. I hope I can get back to my RSC projects before the year ends --- fingers crossed!

For the love of geese said...

Love the fussy cut octagons, it will be a beautiful finish. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

I'm with you, the scrappier the better! Thanks for sharing your projects on Wednesday Wait Loss. Merry Christmas!