Saturday, December 18, 2021

sewing saturday ....Holiday wine plus more

 

welcome to this week's sewing round up, and I've been obsessed with my latest Christmas quilt which is filling the design wall 

free pattern source Missouriquilts

I still have two little octagons to surround

and have had such fun making the blocks. I take care to keep them even as I trim, but warning Jenny aat Missouri quilts does not, she just whacks away! If you're like me, and if something is meant to meet up then I work at making sure it meets up, then take time with each row to keep it straight. The octagons have an amount of bias, so this isn't a perfection block. 

I'll show you some close ups of some newer blocks


the green around the cow block came from a cow fabric, which only I will know but I WILL know and it makes me happy

I love that santa fabric and those Christmas tea cups!!!

I'd love some like that... while making these blocks I get some waste triangles, which I sewed into improv flying geese one day, mindless sewing. Mindless but not lacking in fun, I squealed while putting the cute tiny triangles one next to the other

they are just lying on a fun green fabric

Some order to the stitching...

and they will go in something soon I hope. I like improv curves and these will be fun to piece into a larger fabric. For now it did it's job giving me stitching without worry.

I also did the last wine bottles for the year in RSC dark neutrals... I like to think of them as holiday wines...

let's see Frosty snow dessert wine, and spiced pear Thanksgiving wine!

I have decided to make them into a dining room wall quilt instead of table runner, so that can wait for the new year. 

I've been listening to Christmas novels and finished this one and learned Anne Perry has written many of these Christmas novellas over the years, a fast listen on audio. I checked out another or hers to hear this coming week.

A Christmas Escape - Perry, Anne

right now I'm listening to

 

If you need me I'll be in the studio... next is deciding how to piece blocks together to be able to quilt this in sections. Plus borders... also to be quilted in sections. 

I have just the right selection of Christmas fabric to turn into a fun back 

linking to
patchwork Sunday                    

17 comments:

Michele McLaughlin said...

I love your pineapple quilt! I've been thinking of making one in the New Year! Yours is FANTASTIC! Way to go and thanks for the inspiration!

Sara said...

This Christmas quilt is just amazing! From a distance it looks very traditional and elegant and then you see the fun whimsical prints in the hexies. Wonderful. I like the idea of making your wine bottle quilt a wall quilt for the dining room. I really enjoy my dining room quilts. And your reading choices so often mirror mine. I love Jennifer C's books.

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,

Super idea to make a wine bottle quilt !
Are you going to hang corks and other bit of wine trivia from it ?
Super new Christmas quilt ! So fresh and fun !
hugs,
Joanne

MissPat said...

Your Christmas pineapple quilt is a delight. So many great fabrics to fussy cut. I have loads of Christmas fabric, but mostly boring patterns or poinsettias. The wine bottle wall hanging is going to be great. I like Joanne's idea of embellishing with corks and stuff.
Pat

Mari said...

Your octagons are so cheery and happy, and they look great. Maybe it's the computer, but they almost look 3D! Merry Christmas, and be sure to have some real wine to go with those pretty pieced bottles!

grammajudyb said...

You are so creative! Christmas pineapples, itty bitty flying geese! And wine bottles! Can’t wait to see the wall of wine bottles! Bellissima !

Rebecca Grace said...

What a FABULOUS idea, enlarging the center of pineapple blocks to show off fun Christmas prints! And you have a great collection of them, too. When I was on the hunt last year or the year before shopping for Christmas novelty fabrics I was so disappointed by the selection. My favorites are the ones with Christmas treats and/or vintage flair so of course I love your little tea cups! And those tiny flying geese are so impressive. Can't wait to see how you'll use them. This is a "two-fer" comment because, going back to your post before this one, how awesome that you bake cookies for your Milo and have a stocking for him, too! Don't tell my Sam that other dogs' mommies bake their dog treats from scratch!

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE those freeform geese and that Frosty wine bottle, too! You really made good use of your extra time on Wednesday, LeeAnna. Nice work!!

JanineMarie said...

I love how you have found just the right fabrics all year for your wine bottle labels. It must have been really fun for you to choose those as well as all the fabrics for the centers of your octagons. I love that red retro fabric with the woman with the garland (Beaver Cleaver's mom?). Happy Holiday sewing!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

A new quilt top soon to be finished! I love your pineapple blocks, the little house is cute, and I like the snowman smiling at it ;)
Fun flying geese, it's a brilliant idea for using these tiny triangles and having sashings or blocks for later.
Thank you for sharing your wonderful blocks, and linking up today!

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Such beautiful and festive quilts!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Loving your Christmas pineapple quilt, it's super! Merry Christmas LeeAnna.

Norma Schlager said...

Your Christmas pineapple quilt is fab! Love those conversational prints and you have used them to perfection. Love the wine bottles, too, and think they would be perfect for a dining room wall hanging.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Your quilting is beautiful - love the intricate piecing and the fabrics are fabulous! I can't think of a better way to spend a cold winter day. Wishing you a lovely and peaceful Christmas. xx K

Susie H said...

That is an amazing pineapple quilt! I'm with you -- if things are supposed to match after sewing, I like to be a bit careful making sure that the matching actually happens too! Merry Christmas!

Angie said...

LA - thanks for the close-ups of some of your blocks - quilters always have an eye for fun fabrics! I wouldn't mind having a candy cane dress like the woman in your first picture! And the skinny waist to go with it! Merry Christmas!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Your wine blocks are always such fun! Meanwhile the hexagon quilt is looking so cute. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss. Happy New Year!