For this week's sewing round up, and two challenges, I'll start with my painted heart. Sometimes I wish I would not start my experimental sessions with scraps. It helps to reduce creative stress by thinking I won't be wasting any material but then if I like the outcome, I have odd edges to deal with.
more later on that one.. this is the design wall I saw all week:
it's challenging to put together improv log cabins made in all different sizes! But fun like puzzles are fun. These are in two big panels now!! Can't decide how large the finished piece should be, how many of my other 10 endless diamonds (from happy to be scrappy) should be included
the "stay at home round robin" row this week is checkerboards
I wanted my squares to be a bit different so I made kind of a "rick-rack" shape with them
then I thought, I like them but that background is a little too busy... so I made another row with the same dots I used behind the geese last week
and something isn't quite looking right... they all match up, they were all fussy cut and are all cute fabrics but...
I'm not sold on the row placement, and since it's not a traditional round robin, I can wait to see how I want the whole piece to come together.
I would like it to stay relatively small so I can hang it in the studio which is small too.
It's getting so big though!
the painted heart is on it's way...
after auditioning a lot of border possibilities, and knowing I'd like it to go on the mantel easel (so it must be small enough and done on peltex) I trimmed it down, plan a wide binding of that purple/blue/fuchia fabric and started quilting it. Just around the painted flowers so far, not to take away from the image.
the leaf is pieced, quilted and cut to shape. I'll do some edge stitching maybe with buttonhole and beads! then it will extend out from the binding. It's always a challenge to combine quilting and painting.
Hope this is done by tomorrow's post for V-day!