Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Exploring Seurat

Our STAT project this time is to study and interpret Georges Seurat.
I have been watching videos on his style and life and it's fascinating to me. I hope you are interested in this too. I have long loved his work, so when his name came up for our next fiber art challenge, I was content. I know how I will make my art piece but not the content yet.

I made a sort of pointillist work years ago, that I'll show when I venture into the quilt room to find it.

For now, I learned that Georges lived to only 31 years of age, that he was dissed by the experts of the day
(I feel your pain Georges) and he was very Scientific about his use of color.
You can see the size of my drawing here on the notebook paper. I did it in about 1 minute while watching the video at the end of this post. Seurat did black and white drawings throughout art school to learn shadowing which really informed his later use of dots of color. As important to his art as these lessons were, he developed his theory of how the eye blends color from science.
I like the additive nature of working this way.

 He and a group of like minded artists were all rejected from the Paris salon, the experts of the day who did not like their use of bright color or way of blending color. They joined together and did their own thing.
I love that they did not lose self esteem or time worrying over bad reviews. They just painted what they needed to paint, and the world is richer for their bravery and beliefs.
  I am learning...

My process on this tiny little sketch was to start with a pink pen, and make dots. I went where I wanted, and it led to a portrait and I love it. It's so off the cuff, so indistinct, so charming to me. I am more than sure some  critics would not like something about it. I am only following my heart. I strongly feel we should encourage each other, in our efforts to express ourselves in our art.
Thanks for sharing today's  moment with me.
 Enjoy the video on youtube as blogger won't let me embed it here today... Link:  artrageous



10 comments:

Joanne said...

"Go the distance" LeeAnna!
A great start!
Looking forward to seeing your creativity!
Take care,
Joanne

sophie said...

I love your little Seurat-inspired sketch. What fun!

Mari said...

I think your Seurat sketch would make a perfect Seurat quilt! A lot of little squares or circles to cut, though. Enjoy!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Interesting! I had no idea!

Esther Aliu said...

This really interested me, can't wait to see more :)

Kaja said...

My mum had a Seurat print on her wall for years and when no 2 son was a tiny kid he would sit and stare at it for hours. This is such an interesting challenge - will be fascinating to see where you go with it.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing. I never heard about Surray. Love your sketch.

The Inside Stori said...

Awesome!!!!

Shannon said...

This is fun- I can't wait to see how you interpret it in fabric!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

I've been fascinating by Seurat's work since I learned about him in high school. It was such a treat to read your blog about his work, your own fascination with Seurat and best of all see that fabulous portrait made up of with dots. Can't wait to see where this journey takes you!