Friday, July 28, 2023

watching paint dry and embellishing quilt blocks

 

I'm struggling with physical challenges but wanted to feel normal... know what I mean? Feeling normal means painting, writing and quilt making to me... so this in a nutshell is what was made this week. 

mostly in pictures.... can't be at computer for long but connecting with my art peeps keeps me feeling human. 

Love my metallic watercolor set from fine-tec
I did two icads this week,  small artwork on a 4" X 5" index card, the first prompt was wabi-sabi, a Japanese term that sort of means imperfection, impermanence, are to be valued... if you repair an item, make it noticeable... so I drew then painted a vase, then "broke it"

I write thoughts on the backs

the next ICAD prompt I attempted was "Bird" 

torn bits of trash printed paper collaged to the card


the back of the card

finished card with ink sketch

learning to draw a bird on a watercolor painting

3 recent paper pieced blocks

belt seems a bit blah

RSC scrap color this month is Red... I made a dress from the book paper pieced home... definitely not my favorite paper piecing as it has too many angles, and isn't printed with seam allowances between sections of which there are lots in a small block. But. I like her mid-century vibe a lot. 

I added a cute button to the dress, and wish I had a dress like that now. The tote has some iron on sequins and I'm going to sew those flower buttons on. I would like a tote in turquoise and pink, those scraps are from fave fabrics

the undecorated tote, two sections had to be joined with a Y seam, OMG

I finished this big quilt's binding sewn by hand this week, sitting watching Grace and Frankie on Netflix trying to distract myself from pain...

I pulled out a hand sewing UFO too.... for that distraction element, and am working away at the final tumbling blocks to the whole thing, 

there is a lot of the day in 24 hours.... I am phobic about hospitals, and doctors and have had so many the past month, that my nerves are frayed, and I suspect the adage God won't give you more than you can handle is wrong. I am beyond emotionally broken... barely functional, find I want to stay in bed to avoid life. Ever felt like that? There is no answer yet, no relief yet, but one step in front of the other. 

I make art, because I need to 

thank you for listening, and all your prayers, you all have been the bright lights for me this week

Love, LeeAnna

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts

https://songbirddesigns.blog/monday-musings-6-26-23/ 

finished or not

https://myblog-lunchbreak.blogspot.com/

20 comments:

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

So sorry you're dealing with health issues. I'm glad you have your art to keep you going. Sending positive thoughts your way that you'll feel better. Hang in there -

Helen said...

One foot in front of the other... One breath at a time... then another...
Sometimes that's about the best we can do. I'm glad you're making art and that it brings you (and us) joy. I'm loving the metallic watercolor set!

peppylady (Dora) said...

I have never use metallic water colors, but I've used acrylics in metallics.
Coffee is on, and stay safe.

Sara said...

The blocks are cute as can be! I hope you find relief soon, but am glad you can explore creative outlets to help cope.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

All your quilt blocks are utterly charming! I'm a big fan of the wabi sabi philosophy and aesthetic too!

DVArtist said...

I'm so sorry you are still in pain and not feeling well. Your quilting is just beautiful as is your art. Thank you for sharing with FFO.

Gillena Cox said...

Your fabric and art pieces are lovely. Try to stay comfortable. Thanks for linking to Art For Fun Friday today.

Much💜love

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Art heals and I hope that at least works for your pain. So sorry you are in such pain. I DO love your ICADs and your amazing quilt blocks, tool

My name is Erika. said...

Oh I like the dress image. It is really eye catching. And nice ATC's. Wabi-sabi is one of those words I don't usually remember the meaning of, but it really does describe so much art, and something at least I need to remember more.I hope it's not to hot in Colorado LeeAnna. Seems like it is everywhere though so I am guessing it might be. Have a gerat weekend. hugs-Erika

Michele McLaughlin said...

Love your work this week and so sorry that your health continues to be so poor. Love that red dress!!!

MissPat said...

Thinking of you and sneding you warm, loving hugs from afar.
Pat

Kathleen said...

I love the red dress and teal purse. The little postcards are fun, too. I am sorry you are in pain. I am glad you can sometimes sew or paint and feel a bit of normalcy. Continued prayers for your healing.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your paper-pieced blocks are just adorable, LeeAnna - especially the dress! I do know the feeling of wanting something that makes you feel normal, and creating can do that. Keep going!

grammajudyb said...

I hope that the coming week brings you som answers. Creating does help to feel normal! I should have taken that advice this week! I too would like a polka dot dress with white collar and belt! And a lovely twirly skirt! Hugs and healing prayer sent to Colorado. To you and to our daughter!

Quilter Kathy said...

Sending you big hugs and admiring all you have accomplished while you haven't been feeling well. I adore the birds :)

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I love the tote block, so pretty! It doesn't look like an easy block (great job with the Y-seam!) but shows very nicely your favorite scraps. Love the little birds too, you are very talented in every art form. Keep going my friend.
Thank you for sharing your art, and linking up. Hugs

Gillena Cox said...

Happy Monday
My linky today is HERE

Much💖love

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
What a schock to read that your health issues and the mental stress is taking its toll on you. So brave that you keep going with your creative spirit letting it lead you to all these beautiful works of art ! You have done so much for so long from the beginning of the lockdown / pandemic. I understand how very challenging all those appointments must be for you. You may hide under the covers as long as it doesn't get too warm ! Come out for a visit once and a while :)
hugs, take care,
Joanne

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

So sorry to hear about your pain and the stress you are undergoing right now. Making art forces you to be brave and the creativity in the making replenishes the soul. One step at a time and you'll soon put this behind you. Lean on us!

Thank you for sharing your art on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/08/02/wednesday-wait-loss-339

The Joyful Quilter said...

How did I miss this post?! Super cute quilt blocks and art cards, LeeAnna! Congrats on finishing up your RSC quilt, too!