Sunday, July 12, 2015

Sacred Threads 2015

Glimpse of Heaven  by Rosanne Williamson
We went to the artist's reception at Sacred Threads exhibit in VA yesterday. This exhibit celebrates spirit in many forms, and is worth a trip. Attending the show during the reception is wonderful because so many artists are there to discuss their work.
The above quilt is one I wish I made but didn't. You know how I love a hexie, a landscape and handwork. This one does it all!
There were so many exciting quilts all meaningful in some way but I took a few pix to share with you. 
A pyramid of quilts on display

This artist made a quilt, coated it in modpodge and placed the maze on the floor, encouraging us to walk on it.


As usual click on any image to see details...
here is a close up of the edge...





Inspiration by Marlene Fenoglieto
This is just a close up of a quilt. I love the transparency of the metallic paint with stitching. And words of course...
Unforsaken  by Bonnie Rhoby
This is also a cropped pic of a whole quilt. A word done in trapunto. I've done this and find it to be subtle and dynamic at the same time. I like the word Hope and use it a lot.
After all that inspiration I decided to make a little trip by G Street Fabrics on the way home. G Street is a fixture in the greater DC area. Imagine my surprise when I got there and they were closing the store for good. The one in Rockville will remain open. 
All merch. was 25% off, what was left.
I found and fell in love with this pink batik, so I got what was left, almost 2 yards and the ginko batik in yummy golden yellow and orange tones was a bit over a yard left.

Then I stocked up on piecing thread.
I like aurifil but it is more delicate at 2 ply 50 wt than this metler silk finish 3 ply 50 weight. I've actually used up a number of spools lately so at 25% off I got these .


I love to couch variegated rattail so got 4 yards.
I'll leave you with these recent purchases from Prints Charming in Fulton MD. Love words, and check out the formula fabric! The seagulls will piece in nicely with the flamingos, right? A very inspiring day indeed.


17 comments:

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Looks like you had a great time and beautiful additions to your stash!

gayle said...

I'm sure the flamingos will be happy to share their beach with the seagulls. Great addition to the Flamingo Project!
I don't know if I'd be able to walk on a quilt, even if the maker was encouraging me... 8)

CathieJ said...

Oh man, being a math teacher I love that formula fabric. The landscape quilt is just gorgeous. Thanks for the pictures.

Tu-Na Quilts said...

Oh, no! Not G street fabrics closing!! A real loss for sure. I haven't been there in years but enjoyed shopping there whenever we got to DC. I've never been to the one in Rockville. Where is it located? What is the manufacturer for the formula and teal text?

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna!
Great creative fabric fix!
It seems that it has been quite some time since I've had a fabric fix!
I'd better do something about it!
Take care,
Joanne

Joanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Terri said...

Inspiring, indeed. Thank you.
Hugs

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Ahhhh...what fun creative inspiration! THANKS so very much for sharing it!

LA Paylor said...

the formula fabric is by Benartex, called Kanvas "Academic Club" designed by Maria Kalinowski. The teal FQ doesn't have the name on it but the owners of Prints Charming would know it. Both fabrics had related mates, and different colorways.

Kate said...

Some very beautiful pieces at the show. Thanks for sharing.

Quilter Beth said...

I was an artist at the Sacred Threads artist reception and missed getting to meet you. I just hate that! There are some beautiful, meaningful, inspiring quilts here. I hate to leave. I have been here two days, and I know I missed seeing some of the quilts (there are so many). I missed the first quilt you showed. I too love hexies; I would remember it if I'd seen it. Maybe we'll meet next time.

ann said...

WIsh I had asked you to photo my entry. Do you remember it?

AlidaP said...

Very inspiring! Thanks for sharing!!

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Whoa, that landscape is quite incredible. Looks like quite the event.

Beth in MN said...

Thank you for the eye candy.

Shannon said...

Thanks so much for sharing pics from the show. I was really sorry not to get to go to the opening, so it was fun to see a few pictures!

Rachel Parris said...

Thank you for sharing these. This my first visit to your blog, and I enjoyed it immensely.