Friday, January 17, 2014

Art for Art

 This little pretty, about 6 X 8 inches was made in trade for some cool cow coasters made by a woman in CA. I saw them on her blog, and wrote to her instantly to see if there would be some way to get them into my possession, heh, heh. If you think I am a flamingo and poodle lover, you ain't seen nothing like my cow collection!! She agreed to trade them for one of my little gratitude squares.
Check out this quote! I don't know who said it first, but... thank you.

I used to date an art dealer who said it took two people to make art. One to make it, and one to tell them to stop!

Stop adding more, that is.

In my mind, more is better usually.
This time I painted the two side fabrics a while back, and found them organized beautifully together with painted scraps!! Ha! The system worked!

I combined them with a painted tree done last fall, a stencil and stamp collage of a bird edges turned over peltex for lift, and a stamped quote also on peltex. I am all about the texture y'all. I like painting, but the reason I think I like quilting so much is the stitch texture. I couched some thick threads, ironed on some baguettes, fused the binding and the whole thing is quilted with metallic thread. It sparkles! Whee!

 This is a shot to show some of the dimension. I love it. I am going to have a hard time letting it go, as per usual. Even though I really am excited about the coasters, I still have a hard time letting art go. Guess I have to make more! They all look different though, and that particular fabric is one of a kind since that's the kind of painter I am. It causes me to want to keep all of the fabric I alter. The problem is storage and sharing. The other side of me wants to connect with people, so here you go Linda!
LeeAnna
you might also like Other Paint of Fabric Posts Here


15 comments:

Linda Cline said...

This is a perfect little bird to offer sage advice in my sewing room. I love him. Your cows will come home to you as soon as I can get them in the mail.

Julie said...

This is so cool! The texture and sparkle are so fun. Thanks for sharing and linking up with TGIFF!

genie said...

Oh, my goodness!!!! Your gratitude square is absolutely beautiful. I would love to have it hanging in my house. Love the depth you got with all of your intricate work. You are truly an artist. Now, I would love to see your cow coasters. I bet they are just the best. Happy Creating. genie

Shannon said...

Love those little baguettes- I've never seen iron-on ones (only sew on ones) and they add just a little sparkle and a little more dimension. Fun project!

Jane said...

Love the quote about creativity. You have to know when to stop and walk away!

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna!
What a great piece of art! I love how you added a quote! There are a few great quotes out there about creative people! I'll have to give that a try!
Take care,
Joanne

Martha C. Hall said...

I love the layering of this piece. I agree about the quilted stitch also - it adds another whole element and layer to a textile piece.

Linda M said...

That's one of my favorite quotes, only at my house it is written on a post it note.

Amy Art Quilter & Fyber Cafe said...

Please post a pic of the cow coasters! Our work really is like our children, it is hard to let go sometimes, I just think of the joy it will give the next person. Especially if it was made with them in mind. Your painting "play" looks like lots of fun, I love the bird with the tree and hexagons. Can't wait to see what you do with it. AMY

Linda Cline said...

“Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.”
― Scott Adams (creator of the Dilbert comic strip)

Martha Ginn said...

LeeAnna, about having a hard time letting go of your art--that's not always a bad thing. Many years ago when I was making pressed dry flower pictures, I made one and framed it for a birthday gift, loved it so much I kept it. Several months later I discovered it was totally eaten by bugs. Was I ever glad I had kept it! Then I learned to heat the materials in the oven to destroy any little bug eggs that might come alive to embarrass me.

Norma Schlager said...

I love your quote and your piece! I, too, would have a hard time giving it away.

Sylvia said...

Nice piece! Fun way to trade your art with someone else.

Heather Pregger said...

Very nice piece! And I love the quote. As far as knowing when to stop, I certainly have that problem, too!

Thanks for stopping by my blog, and for your help in choosing my SAQA "This is a Quilt" piece. Your comment was very helpful!

Sherri said...

I love your art works. They look so simple to make but yet I know they are more complex than that! I admire your play/work that produces such things. :)