For sewing this week, I played with scraps in a slightly different way... the start to a quilt above is from an online design I saw... goody goody gumdrops
I decided to mainly use my aqua/turquoise scraps for this, with lavendar, lime, fuchia mixed in
After all the time I spent on my watercolor quilt, I thought, I should gather some other sized squares from the color bins, to organize some scraps by size and shape not colors
My watercolor scraps are cut to 2" square, so I moved up in size to 2.5" 3" and 3.5" squares of all colors in one location. I used the 2.5" box (in front here) to pick out ones to use in the new block.I think the pattern was meant to use 5" precuts but I'm just pulling 2.5" pieces large enough to do the outside bits, and one 2.5" to use in the centers, from my recent collection of all colors
Surprisingly it has been fun!
I hope I won't miss them all separated by colors, but it is just some squares and the color bins remain
I sewed tiny bits together to make another needle book, and stitched the layers together with quick lines on sewing machine.. Now I plan to do hand stitching before turning it into a needle book
probably chain stitch, fly stitch, colonial knots, or rows of straight stitch... then trim, bind, fold to hold felt needle storage
I chose these fabrics to do my hexie spiral this month....
yum, this is one of my fave colors., blue green light to dark
I dithered over inserting a strip between the larger border fabrics on my watercolor quilt. White?
then after sewing all those tiny squares, adding another row around of them, decided to sew the larger watercolory fabrics right onto the center
In the quilting stage, I'll couch over a thicker cording in white or navy, maybe lime green to create a visual stop from center to border, more subtle than a tiny strip
It makes me happy to see on my design wall when I enter the room, but how to quilt it???
| my snoopervisor sleeping on the job! |
11 comments:
Love your scrap quilt and the needle book will be so cute! How did you do with the fireworks, Alfie?
Beautiful colours and patterns. And your dog is adorable.
You have some colorful and fun projects in the works.
Love those gumdrops blocks - what fun! Your scraps make beautiful needlebook covers, too. Those are my favorite kinds of projects!
The Goody Goody Gumdrops is a Villa Rosa Designs pattern (to give poper credit). I used it to make a runner for the VRD summer challenge. Such a fun block!
Those blocks look like a ton of fun! The new needle book will be, too.
You should teach classes on color. I just love how you make these colors just come alive, even in simple scrappy combinations. I'm not very brave and usually mix color with neutrals.
Such a sweet pup! Love your two little quilts. Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings!
I have fun looking at thumbnail images of quilts and guessing the maker. I can always pick your work out of the weekly blog post link ups. You are definitely not afraid of color.
My rule of thumb is if the quilt is busy, then I do a simple all over design for the quilting. Why? Because the quilting is likely to get lost. Of course, if you did the quilting as bobbin work with a thick thread in white or black, that also has possibilities.
Goody Gumdrops is cute!
how is Mr Alfie? He looks content
What a pretty array of projects! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2026/07/08/wednesday-wait-loss-492
Post a Comment