Saturday, July 18, 2026

Creatively speaking, this week...

 

it's been so hot, it's hard to do much of anything...

oh there are people who say, but that's in the sun.... 
well, we don't really have shade here so that's how hot it is on our walks. We drag thru morning walks, and I'm in too much spinal pain by the evenings now to go much more than a mile after dark. 

Almost too hot to sew as my creativity nook is over the hot garage. Did I tell you we moved here to evade heat? We had about 3 years in the beginning with nicer colder weather but now it's hot all year. 

on to what we were able to do... no beading, no painting, no embroidery but I was obsessed with...

making GGG blocks with my scraps, and enjoyed sorting through my scrap bins seeing them in this new way. I am focusing on Aqua/turquoise, purple, lime, fuchia colors 
there are about 140 blocks done
don't get too excited, when they are sewn together this center would be about 40" X 56" so I continued
as I sorted, to prep more blocks

then..., all the bits I cut off were improv sewn into 


groups and strips, then the groups sewn together. I LOVE it. Not sure what it will become or how large
but very few little scraps went back in the color bins

it's so satisfying to see color/pattern next to another... growing faster than my cucumbers
it's similar to my big quilt in percentage of colors too


my snoopervisor has been pleased with my progress, 
or at least with my happiness in these colors... all he knows is this is where we go every day for him to nap

I realized I need to do a mundane but necessary task of sewing on a replacement button 
this lovely shirt has been mine for approx 40 years.... still beautiful on and brilliant color. Made by an independent clothing designer (in Florida ) called Ooo La La

so the heat continues to increase my inflammation and pain, our AC can't fight the temps, promised relief in form of 80's this week, are now dashed in favor of near 100's. A creative person still needs to make things AM I Right? 


5 comments:

Duke said...

Your colorful quilt is coming along beautifully despite your way too hot temps! Our ac can't keep up with those temps either and we are talking 100 degrees and not 124! Wow - way too hot!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Oh my, that's too hot for (wo)man or beast! And they say climate change isn't a thing...how wrong they are!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I'm always amazed at what beautiful things you create with bits 'n bobs!

Kate said...

Your quilt is coming together beautiful. You picked a wonderful color palette for it. I hope you get some relief from the heat. We are under heat advisories today, so I know we are in for another hot one.

Sara said...

Your quilt is really taking shape - and really wonderful colors!! Such awful heat. Friday I visited a friend, and there was a big thermometer on the wall outside the west entrance to her apartment building. It read 122. My car in the parking lot said 108, and it was still reading 104 when I got home 10 minutes later. My phone weather app insisted it was only 96. LOL