Saturday, October 19, 2024

creativity this week feathered star block and lessons with paint



welcome to this week's creativity round-up! Mostly I've been learning, drawing, painting with some sewing as well! On with the show.... I'll start with painting, go on to sewing so you can find what you like best here. 
I took a lesson in how to use my gouache paints. They are quite a different creature from watercolors. 

It's good to learn new things. They are opaque, and because of that, thicker than my usual watercolors. They are water soluble though and can be mixed on the palette before using, and cleaned with water.  
My brushes were too soft and held more of the intense paint than needed. I had to figure out how to dilute them enough to use without losing the opacity. 

The presenter, Kate Cooke led us through combining inspirational elements from different sources into one picture. I have a lot of skipped paper and a lack of straight lines as my paint was too thick to cover with my brushes but I love the overall painting
I like the style reminiscent of the 1920's . I like that if I'm careful to be fast I can paint over with new motifs and it is not see through. I like that when I didn't like my shade of sky, I could brush on a darker shade, then a watery white pushed over created clouds. 
I didn't like the lack of coverage along straight lines, and will need to figure out how to get that. I see more gouache lessons in my future, and more experiments. I did try it several times this week. 

c coThis class by Effie Wilde was fun but I used watercolor instead of acrylic (gives me headaches) the acrylivers dried acrylic so you can cover up, add to, etc that is hard to do with watercolors other than a glaze. I like her colors and modern look. 

I tried a new to me method of book binding, cartoons, and took a course from another free online workshop (Nina Rycroft) on four ways to combine into one painting. More next week on that.


My poor overworked Bernina was packed up for now, I found my tiny Janome Gem to use in a pinch. I forget how BASIC it is. I have to turn the hand wheel each time I stop and start, and go to the manual for things like winding a bobbin, inserting it, changing needles, etc. I'm glad to have it as I get antsy when I don't sew. 
This week I did my RSC block in GRAY. Her colorway is "light" and there is light gray... it's not finished as wedging that big paper pattern under the needle on this machine is challenging taking much longer to piece. 
Here are the four sections with the color  pieced, next is to add in the pretty tula pink fabric around each section, then join the sections. Hope I get it done for next week! 

printed pattern section, do four


a close up of some of the gray scraps I have

Gray isn't my favorite color, I find it cold unless you combine it with black but this is a challenge right? To use our scraps? 

I'll share more about the paintings I've done, and the book binding next time. 
for now, enjoy these short tutorials anyone can do

 amazing drops of paint make a painting!

https://youtube.com/shorts/kv0-Q9dugMw?si=Nx0UCvHLBkkqkpNh

Well I've never seen this painting technique using dots of paint and a hypodermic needle

https://youtube.com/shorts/9VlizSQsQp4?si=BqNKr65mJX0rg35C

 linking to


design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts

https://songbirddesigns.blog/

finished or not

https://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com/

https://beadwright.blogspot.com/

https://myblog-lunchbreak.blogspot.com/

modern, simple painting anyone can do

https://youtube.com/shorts/CMeOu3cYMKQ?si=nEQSK7R01iaTz06R  

 

6 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I like your Greek vase and the pop-art colours of your portrait of the woman!

Helen said...

Nice work this week! I'm getting ready to do that girl with the square thing hanging from her ear. I think it's Pamela Vosseller's lesson and Effy Wilde's was the striped hair girl. I like them both! I've never tried gauche. Is it going to be a favorite to use for you? It does have a flat two-dimensional look to it. I suppose that's what some like about it. Your piece looks really good.

The Joyful Quilter said...

So sorry that your Bernina is ailing, LeeAnna, but glad that your little Gem Gold can get you through! What a lot of art you made, too. Love that you found some fun new-to-you techniques!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Ooooh! I love the gouache painting! So vibrant and colorful. It reminds me of a Matisse painting! The portrait is interesting with the unusual use of colors for shading. Your gray patchwork looks difficult, but I like the design and graduated grays and black. It's nice to have a back-up sewing machine. I have a very basic machine and my back-up is a treadle! I do need something more up to date, I think. Lol! x K

Duke said...

Your paintings are both so beautiful!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The vase painting is great - a very southwest vibe! I love all your feathered stars in every color. Such an intricate block. Hope your sewing machine issues are solvable!