Saturday, October 26, 2024

creativity this week watching paint dry, then printing in on fabric to quilt, and book binding

 

I finished the gray rainbow scrap block for this week, and here it is with a few others. I now have 10 big blocks....

I have learned by doing these, that choosing to do one big block a month in one colorway, gives a big impact. In the beginning I might have mixed all the colors in each block thinking that might look scrappy. This way you see the color, then the patterns from different fabrics making it scrappy. 
I also love the tula pink background fabric with these... 
Happy Colors!

tell her to make another run of this fabric! 

I did sew tiny gray scraps together to test the machine, worked fine, but what do make this into? 


I am relearning how to use my little mechanical Janome Gem, and needed to put on a walking foot 
(to the non sewists reading, that keeps three layers together while it's being stitched) to make this Halloween quilt
11" and change by 11" -ish

I painted the branch moon and cat on paper a few weeks ago... and Joy's table scraps challenge was to include a cat and light fabrics. I printed this and another of my paintings onto a sheet of fabric in my home printer. (Jacquard printing fabric available at amazon and JoAnn's) I painted this as a full size painting and it printed very well on fabric
this was left to use in another quilt art piece later
so I had my printed art, chose these to be background, and backing, using peltex stabilizer instead of  batting...

I turned under the edges of my printed fabric, stitched over it with two sparkly embellishment threads (blue and purple) with a zigzag stitch, fused on a cutie witch  from a scrap, holding a cat too
since I'm using this basic machine, I didn't push my luck beyond using metallic thread to quilt it, so it's not heavily quilted. I like the look though, and finished the outside edge with a machine stitched binding in the same background fabric
and it's sitting on our entry table's easel now. Done in 2 hours or so 
One of the last sketchbook lessons I took before it was done, was how to make a watercolor sketchbook binding it in a way to make all the pages open flat

I have just the scene to paint over the two pages... a landscape in our 'hood. I took a pic today to use
I made the covers from a red manila folder cut to size. It's pretty but I thought it would look good with one of my paintings... I tested my two pics for size, printing them on paper before the fabric... and now I have those to use too!
some double stick tape should seal it enough

I've got a number of sketchbook pages to share with you so I'll show you a couple now, and more next week, I was very happy with my lessons in sketchbook this time, and what I learned, 

this exercise was to use tissue paper, paint it before or after, compose a a page with it. I saw mine as balloons. Each teacher shares her favorite supplies, and her tips overall when making art. 
Hers looked much better but, I now know more about the qualities of glueing tissue, and how it accepts and changes paint, how markers behave over it all 
this artist taught us to free ourselves up for making art, pour out all your colored pencils, grab one without looking and color in a triangle. Then grab another without looking or choosing a color, and do another triangle next to the first. Continue til you're out of colors. (I have a set of 24) 

then look at it, see if there are surprising combinations, colors you might never have put next to each other for instance, Choose one area of 6 colors you like together, and do the exercise again with just them... then she used just those colors do do a sketchbook page of little motifs to see how they might look. 
Mine looked like a 4 year old made it so I'm not including it today! 
There are others I truly love I'll show next week.... 

2 comments:

Duke said...

You are so creative in whatever you do. Love your Halloween quilt!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

What a super creative week you've had!