Thursday, July 18, 2024

I Like Thursday #411 outdoor concerts, books and a poodle tale

 Guide to the Smithsonian Folklife Festival | Washington DC

 google won't let me add my own pics this week, sorry! but I can add words for the moment and a couple online images. The one above is from the folklife festival we won't be attending this year.

frustrated with trying to blog with all these restrictions and issues. Pain level is high, so short post:

reading on ebook, LOVE this author , the humor, the characters


Prompt this week: 

have you ever gone to an outdoor play? tell us about it.... Or a concert? do you like outdoor performances?

Not Afraid of Color: Skaneateles NY with a poodle tourguide
hope this image makes it in!

 
I've been to many outdoor performances and find them magical and special. Now that I have spinal injuries, I can't sit on the ground or in folding chairs sadly. Over the years, I've gone to a lot of concerts outdoors... 
*  I remember dancing outside to live bands so many events
*  I heard Gloria Estefan in Ybor City (Tampa)  just before she became a National star
* I remember a concert at Sundance with Robert Redford introducing the orchestra 
 
*As a child visiting NC in the summers, we went to "Unto these hills" each summer in an amphitheater 
*In Annapolis the Summer outdoor theater put on shows that were always fun. Hearing the dialogue amid the sounds of the city beyond the walls, seeing the moon rise, being "inside and outside" at the same time
* in summer, we used to dance in the bumper car pavilion at Glen Echo each Sunday night... live band and contra dancing with little fairy lights, a slight breeze, stars above
* I belonged to a cajun dance group and we had many outdoor dance events
* I volunteered with a fund raising group who held outdoor concerts in Tampa
* wine festivals always had live music outdoor stages, you could listen as you walked around, one craft festival with music in Colorado Springs had a lovely mountain backdrop
 
*The Queen of outdoor events was in Washington DC at the yearly "Folklife Festival" A several week celebration of other cultures/countries with several venues housing a daylong roster of performances all day into the night. We could participate with dancing to native music, we could dance long into the night with the Washington monument back lit to one end, the Capitol on the other end. I loved the year we learned more about native American cultures (food, crafts, music, stories, dances) The year we learned more about India and I discovered Mango Lassies, the year Wales was highlighted. SO many cultures celebrated. I nearly passed out from heat once at the festival, they held a contra dance during the heat of the day and we danced with hundreds until we couldn't go on. 
we walked across to the American History Smithsonian building, I laid on the cold granite floor til I recovered! 

* remember the excitement as a child, of going to the drive-in movies? Outdoors, but inside a car, as kids we could run to the snack bar where they had playground equipment and a bathroom, we went alone in the dark, that enormous screen playing a move, the stars above. 

It's that sense of being inside while being outside that I love. 
as an adult, sitting at an outdoor cafe, with a musician singing right there, sipping a cool drink
 
Poodle Cartoon
 
Milo's moment
Mama! Come quick! bark bark bark. (running to the front door) 

Mama: What is it honey? invaders? 
Milo: it's the growly little truck where an arm comes out and touches our mailbox! 
Mama: oh, the mail carrier.... 
Milo: (running back to the family room) well sometimes he comes RIGHT up to our FRONT door!!! 
oh, shark! my shark must be guarded! I'll carry him in my mouth for safety.... okay sharkie, that is the mailman who is scary and you stay away from him! I'll just move you to the far side of the table for now, but stay back here. 
while I have you in my mouth, I'll carry you on a trip around the table...... oh that's the Daddy he's not dangerous but don't go with him anyway, that's the mommy and she might put you in the washer so stay away from her, that's the talky talk (TV) and it's just loud like those dogs next door. 
Okay, you can take a nap til I need you! 
Mama, I need a cookie to calm my nerves! cookies = poodle punch

Not Afraid of Color: The Misadventures of Milo...Monday Mischief!
Bye Bye for now!

 

please visit these folks to read their likes this week

 

  http://3poodlesandanana.blogspot.com/

https://canadianneedlenana.blogspot.com/  

https://comfortspiral.blogspot.com/

 
taking a break: 
 
   LINKING WITH 

https://brianshomeblog.com/ 

http://itsasmalltownlife.blogspot.com/   

http://goodrandomfun.blogspot.com

https://llbinourbackyard.blogspot.com/

               friday smiles


15 comments:

Cloudia said...

Take care of Mama, Milo! Sure hope she's feeling better very soon
https://comfortspiral.blogspot.com/2024/07/atmospherics.html?m=0

easyweimaraner said...

substandard poodle.. LOL... thats great!!! we remember so much good summer events... those were the days... sigh... hugs to you and all the best

Duke said...

I've only been to an outside concert once that I remember. James Taylor and he was playing at an amusement park. We got to enjoy the rides before the concert started and it was fun. I hope you feel better soon.

PaintedThread said...

Milo! You're such a character!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I used to go to outdoor folk festivals in my younger days -- good times! Except when it rained.

Angela said...

Yes, good memories of drive-in movies!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

There's definitely something about being outside, listening to music, as it gets dark and the moon comes up. Lovely memories! Milo, you keep Mama safe!

Lillian "sognafaret" said...

Poodles are amazing dogs

Brian's Home Blog said...

I'm sorry the pain is bothering you and I hope you feel better really soon. We used to go to outside events but we don't like crowds anymore. Milo, keep on barking pal. Thanks for joining Angel Brian's Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

Annie said...

Really sorry to hear of your pain levels...Hop Milo is watching over you well.
Hugs,
Annie x

Michele McLaughlin said...

Your Milo moments always make me smile! Sorry about the back problems. My brother is experiencing a lot of problems as well. Wishing you a safe and happy weekend!

MissPat said...

We used to go to concerts at an outdoor venue near Canandaigua Lake. You could bring wine and food and sit on the hillside (and later the built a shell with real seats). And our local burger joint has an outdoor pavilion and they used to have music once a week during the summer. I don't like to be in crowds any more and the local place never restarted the concerts after Covid.
Sending you healing thoughts.
Pat

grammajudyb said...

Sorry you are having a bad week! Blogger gave me some fits too as I tried to add images I’d saved in an album. I finally discovered “ tap the album twice and it opens”. Not sure if that’s your issue but I was ready to quit, when my finger stuttered by accident! 😁

Lisca said...

I grew up in the Netherlands where it rains so often that they can't organize outdoor events. But as an adult in Italy I remember pop concerts in big stadiums. Lou Reed in Bologna, and Lucio Dalla in Pescara. Then when I lived in England we attended the Chippenham Folk Festival each year (brought our tent.) And Christian music festivals like Greenbelt (also a yealy event) with the tent or the caravan. Great fun. Lovely memories.
Sorry I'm late. (Got visitors)
Lisca

Michelle said...

Years ago we lived in Crofton, about 15 minutes from Annapolis and enjoyed many outdoor performances there. My husband worked in D.C. and we were also there for many festivals, etc... A great place! We do some small town performances now, but they are not quite the same. I will check out that book as I am looking for something new to read. Take care and thank you for linking up.