Saturday, June 29, 2024

creativity this week colors bold and soft, on fabric and paper

 

For my round up of creative work this week, I'll start with sewing ... this is my feather star block for rainbow scrap challenge ( a different color scraps each month) The 16" block is finished now, here are the 6 finished stars so far, pinned to the design wall, waiting for 6 more colors

I dithered over blues for this background and finally chose this turquoise ish blue but have to wait til I can use a rotary cutter to set it

thank you to those who gave me feedback, you were all right... hugs!

the big this this week was doing Joy's table scraps challenge (watermelon) I love a pin cushion, so I found a free pattern on line and made this sort of following the pattern:, (HERE )  lol


made with felt scraps and dark blue thread for "seeds"

joined with perle cotton thread by hand, stuffed with both fluff plus ground walnut seeds

Love it!

 Quilting Memes

I finished my scrappy socks and started more with the yarn left and hand stitched on my little hexies 

The rest of my time was spent watching paint dance across paper... in the kaleidoscope workshop and my Index card a day prompts... 

watercolor Henge in plain paper sketchbook. Loved the teacher's ideas on shadow, glazing, color mix

due to physical limits this week, this one isn't finished. It gets words but I didn't like the instructor's poem so I'm seeking one on walking in the light of honesty, or something with light. She taught us with acrylics I can't use  (allergies to the binders) so I broke out my gouache watercolors for the moon
 

 This instructor used acrylics too... so I did what I could with watercolor and ink... She adds and adds on top... which is harder with watercolor, but I did what I could with some inkpens for the dots

an experiment to see gold over paint..

layer of turquoise, layer of cobalt, layer of black watercolor, then paintbrush with gold paint on top

For the small index card art:

4" X 6"
I painted "hummingbird" from a google image of a real bird. That's easier for me... I really like how it all came out. A quote from Shakespear, printed, torn inked on the edge completes it
 

Crystal... looked for an online tutorial on how to draw simple crystals...




"coffee" reminded me of a fave band that played in Tampa during my 20's...they always sang Java Jive

"strawberry" (L) and "Opaque" (R)

For Opaque I used the gouache from the tube... combines opacity with watercolors 

now this was a real challenge. "FOLD"   how to make art that expresses that? I crinkled a sheet of copier paper, dry brushed paint over it. Then folded it in three places and glued it to the card

I really like how it came out. A pure experiment... these little artworks are a good way to make sure I do something each day. 

Sometimes it takes courage to keep going with illness or pain... but an artist type still must "make" art

the prompt for "I Like Thursday" this week was how does life change for you in summer. It's so intensely hot it's hard to be outside... so luckily I have supplies to keep me going!


linking with these fine folk:

Table Scraps Challenge


design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts

https://songbirddesigns.blog/

finished or not

https://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com/

https://beadwright.blogspot.com/

art for fun Fridays 





8 comments:

Duke said...

Love your beautiful feather star blocks and your watermelon pin cushion is as cute as can be!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

The rainbow feather star blocks are very eye-catching. And I just love the wee watermelon pin cushion! I enjoyed looking at all your index cards too, particularly the crystals one and Java Jive (a fave song of mine too). I'm starting a gouache class next week and looking forward to it!

PaintedThread said...

Ooh - so many pretty things. Love how those scrap blocks are coming along. And I had to laugh at the non-empty bobbin. :-)

scraphappy said...

What beautiful RSC star blocks. I had to giggle about the empty bobbin, I can go for ages without noticing.

cityquilter grace said...

drooling over those feathered star blocks...gorgeous

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your feathered stars are so pretty in all the colors! They look very labor intensive, but worth the time spent. The watermelon pin cushion is the cutest thing! What fun!

My name is Erika. said...

That is the cutest pin cushion. I bet it is fun to use and was fun to make.

Sara said...

The pin cushion is adorable! The feathered stars are really beautiful. Your painting this week - wow!