Saturday, May 6, 2023

my creative week with paintings, drawings, and sewn art

 

It was a week of creativity buffering the harsher side of life.... I am starting with a painting done because Cloudia in Hawaii (one of the I Like contributors) mentioned there is a full moon this week, called a Flower Moon

Those words inspired me to try to paint a small (8") watercolor of the moon and some flowers.... I used some new paints like opera pink by daniel smith. Just a quick study as I'm very distracted at the moment.... I like how art helps me focus and stop the thoughts for a bit, don't you? 

early in the week, I took the CreativeCove tutorial on poppies. I used some older kuretake watercolor paints and a half piece of paper torn from my thick watercolor pad... wet the flower area and dropped in mixed colors of carmine and orange, golden yellow and watched them pool up, move around, become.

at one point they were too wet, so I pressed a paper towel on the petals and it caused that lovely grading of color. Serendipity beauty, a gift from the paint muses... thank you...

last Sunday I finished the quilting on my hand sewn hexie petals and it's on the table now! 

I liked the process and night sewing, so I decided to make an Autumn colored piece to replace this one in a few months... gold, orange, purple, brown, tan, dark green....this is the start using orange scraps

at one point in studio, I wanted to hear my audio book but didn't have concentration so I sorted my orange scrap bin...strips, squares, triangle shapes,and because they were there and too pretty to toss...

the color of the month at RSC is orange scraps

I began sewing one bit to another, keep going, and it turned into these sections before I felt content. 

from messy fabric pile to these about 2 hours of nice immersion into color and story telling on audio 

I see a house and tree emerging on the top right piece. 

view from kitchen table computer area in the mornings

I wake slowly now, sipping coffee, catching up on emails and watching videos, then drawing or painting something to slip into the day. On this morning the sun was bright on our patio, birds were taking liberties to walk on it, a squirrel came up and looked into Milo's toybox, the sound of birds starting their day was pleasant. 

this is a small work, about 4" X 6" on watercolor stock. Pencil lines, covered with watercolor (KOI), then inked with black pen (faber-castell) and white pen (signo uniball) time to work in the yard, sow some wildflower seeds in the big planter, return to some serious porch time with wine in the afternnon

 we have persistent dandelions that bees are enjoying, the HOA not as much. 

Heat is already gaining ground, around 80 or more in the sun which beats down on our bedroom wall all day long, reminding us to get out the summer clothes and set up the portable AC. 

time to bring down an older quilt... wish our home was like this...

the bluebird of happiness taken up residence with us... clean, wildflowers, lush, sparkling

I spent much time quilting on my star quilt this week. I sewed the center blocks into two big sections, layered with bamboo batting and vintage backing, and worked

make no mistake, quilting large quilts on my small domestic machine is work. Hard on my back. The jury is out on bamboo.... no matter what I did, it seems overly puffy...

bottom half is now quilted

both big center sections are quilted and ready to connect that seam... pinned, but broke a needle and had to stop to try to find it all (never found the very little tip tho, yikes!) 

sew, press, pull backing over seam and hand stitch in place

One more drawing to share... I wanted to try a profile of a face, difficult for me in the past. I searched online for pictures of women from 1920's... and found this

drawn on a folded copier paper scrap, while having morning coffee

I am not only learning perspective, but shadows and light with just pencil. I did go in at the end and use a stablilo crayon in black, for deeper shadow as it bleeds wonderfully when brushed with plain water.

I wonder about the original portrait, what was her life like? She likely fought for the right to vote, to be seen like a real person, equal at the very least. People want respect.

Well, there you go... a week often harsh with my physical pains, medical intervention treatments for DH, ear pain for dear poodle son. 

Thank God for art. I enjoyed this video on painting with gouache paints... which I hope to do soon


 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkDop1LdMrs

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts

finished or not

https://beadwright.blogspot.com/ 

https://myblog-lunchbreak.blogspot.com/

 

28 comments:

Cathy said...

Beautiful artwork, as always, LeeAnna! So sorry to hear of your physical struggles. xo

Sara said...

Lovely paintings. Hope that you all 3 feel better soon.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Always interesting to see what you are creating; I like early mornings too. The light and sounds especially this time of year are amazing. So much growth, so much life! I know you draw (no pun intended) strength from it all.

Brian's Home Blog said...

You are so talented and creative, I wish I had some of the artsy genes.

Susan said...

I hope you are soon back to feeling better and stronger. Your artwork is inspiring, and I love the hexagon piece.

Helen said...

I do that! When I want to be in studio but I want to listen to my audio book. If I can't concentrate on both, I'll do some little organizing or cleaning task.

sonja said...

intrigued by your side view poppy in lush reds.

when i used to shop for vintage clothes in the past, i would wonder ..what was her life like, the wearer that gave away this dress? so fragile this burnt velvet green gown? (i had to make a lamp shade of it. not wearable.)

thanks for the painting video, for the love of watching paint dry is always fun to me! mine, yours and you tubed!

MissPat said...

So sorry all three of you are suffering from various ailments. Here' hoping for improvement for everyone this coming week. I love your little house quilt. It's cozy and calming.
Pat

grammajudyb said...

You were marvelously creative in your efforts to distract from the “hurting”! It takes real effort to push through. I’m hoping the healing warm sunshine and days able to sit outside with a favorite beverage helps us all! Hugs to you and DH and a special head scruff to Milo!,

quiltingbydawn said...

Wonderful, beautiful work! I love seeing all your artwork! Your use of color amazes me. I wish I had a quiet morning where I could just create. Retirement is just weeks away and that's what I look forward to!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I love everything in today's post! The Flower Moon looks wonderful, and well done with the unexpected effect on these cute poppies. Pretty orange blocks, I love how fabric talks to you and make so lovely arrangments.
I hope you three will be getting better soon.
Thank you for sharing your beautiful pieces of art, and linking up.

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful artwork and quilting!

Kathleen said...

The flower moon is just gorgeous. I love your process on these pieces and this one is just perfect. Sorry for the pain and the medical nonsense. We have had our share here, too, but it is May, and the blooms and sun bring great joy.

Rebecca Grace said...

I say DOWN with the HOA and plant more dandelions for the bumblebees! Your work is so inspiring. I feel like I recognize the woman in that photograph, though — is it possibly a young Coco Chanel? I know I’ve seen it in a biography or something. Which brand and loft of bamboo batting did you use for your star quilt? The Quilters Dream Bamboo that I use for a lot of baby quilts is definitely not thick or puffy, it’s on the thinner side but then it’s not 100% bamboo, it’s a blend of bamboo/silk/cotton/Tencel. You might want to try a different brand before giving up on bamboo altogether. The stars are lovely and that hexie table topper is sublime! I love that you’re making different versions for different seasons, too. And it’s wonderful to imagine you greeting each new day with a cup of coffee in one hand and a paintbrush in the other, creating artwork to reflect and amplify the beauty all around you.

Sharon Kwilter said...

Wow, your artwork is beautiful. Well done.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Your hexie table topper turned out splendid! Love, love your little house quilt so perfectly framed by those floral fabrics. You have such a good eye. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

nestki said...

Beautiful artwork! I always love to see what you are doing. I hope that next week will be better for you.

Cloudia said...

Blessings Friend

https://comfortspiral.blogspot.com/2023/05/cat-weather.html?m=0

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Lovely hexies and quilting. I'm working on hexies at the moment. I have also done quilts on a small sewing machine, I agree very hard work and I always say never again....

Christine said...

Lovely art!

DVArtist said...

Ohh LeeAnna you are an amazing artist. Whatever you touch turns out beautiful. Yes, profiles are more difficult. They are for me anyway. Yours is lovely. Thank you for sharing with FFO and have a great weekend.

carol l mckenna said...

You are so talented ~ wonderful array of art work ~ Wow!

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Gillena Cox said...

Amazed at all the beautiful pieces you showed us today.
Thanks for linking to AFFF

Much💖love

Fundy Blue said...

Your beautiful artwork is so versatile, LeeAnna! I love all the vibrant colors. Have a happy week!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was most impressed with the hexagons. They are very difficult to make and get right. Nice drawing, too!

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Your quilting is wonderful and takes such patience and dexterity. I love the bluebird of happiness ... it makes everything perfect. Your art is lovely too. I love the idea of porch time, especially with a glass of wine. Your drawing/painting of the patio is a good reminder to all of us that the time has come to clean and replant our gardens. Finally your beautiful lady is so elegant ... she looks like she should be royalty :) You have so many talents, LeeAnn and I most admire your quilting talents as it is something I have tried and couldn't do well. I know how much work goes into each lovely piece. Thank you for sharing with us ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What lovely art!!! I love the hexie table topper and the star quilt - everything is just so cool!

Jane said...

Barnes Ernie paintings are a captivating mix of vibrant colors and abstract forms that evoke emotion and intrigue.