Sunday, March 9, 2014

Speedy two inch square tutorial





Pattern is from quiltdoodledesigns
Does this count for a post on use of the color teal?
Just for fun, I decided to do the block of the month at quiltdoodledesigns. I love a scrap, the blocks are easy and fairly fast and I get to dig thru the scrap bins. Winning! The above two blocks are Feb. and March. The layout of her quilt will make it easy for me to quilt it in rows to save my sanity  back.
They will be highly embellished I'm sure.
 I'll tell you how I do these kinds of watercolor style quilts. I design them on my portable design wall. The pattern is given in my workshop, the wall is two sided, folds to 24X36, opens to 48X 36 free standing with both sides available to use at once.

I take it over to the sewing table so I keep the squares in order.
 I flip each second vertical row square over it's next door neighbor in the first row, right sides together but oriented just like they were on my board.  Then chain piece them, pair by pair, leaving them all connected by threads in the long row.

See?
After sewing that row, I add the next row.
I place the top pair face up on the sewing table, take the top square of the next row flip it right side down on this pair and sew that seam.

Chain piece adding the next one down each time, don't cut the chain.

Starting at the top again, do the same process with the fourth square flipped right sides together over  the top trio, to make a chain of foursies:

After you have done this all the way over, the piece is now like a flag, horizontal rows sewn,  and connected to the row beneath. No way to mix it up now!
I press each row in opposite directions to make sewing the rows nest together well.

Sew your rows together, and the piece is made.
This is a fast method to make backgrounds of lots of fabrics, or scenes like this pattern calls for.

Hope this is clear, and you enjoy it. I am linking to the super scrappy March link party, HERE! where lots of people are digging into their teal scraps for March and sharing their cool block patterns.

Hope this is teal enough.... the roof is teal as well as some of the scraps. One day I will figure out how to set up a video camera to make all this much easier!
BTW, If you are interested in learning how to make my design wall, I'll come to your guild!

LeeAnna

9 comments:

soscrappy said...

Beautiful collection of teals. Lovely sky.

Marly said...

Thanks for sharing your method of sewing this picture together. The fabrics are great and I love how you've mixed all those greens in the tree.

Cheri the Quilting Nanny said...

What a great way to use scraps! I might just have to be a copy cat! You did great with the greens! Good job!

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

love this! the variation of greens in the tree is so cool!

Thanks so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Sheila said...

LOVE this beautiful block!

carla said...

Hi!!!! I am doing this BOM also!!!!! I love your cabin and tree!!!! Your colors are very pretty!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Very Nice!

Kathleen said...

I love this block and love the hint. Thanks for linking up to #TTot22 Party!

Kim said...

Good idea! I'll have to try this out.