Thursday, November 23, 2023

I Like Thursday # 377 thanksgiving, some stories and a poodle

 

oops I have sweet potatoes on my nose-y

 our prompt for today is:

 tell us a funny story about a Thanksgiving you spent... we all have things happen unexpectedly at holidays  so share a funny moment you have had over the years.

1.when I worked in middle school as a counselor with drop out prevention, I put on a big Thanksgiving dinner with the kids providing a dish to share. There is a lot to learn and discuss about how to handle passing food, general manners, what to talk about to keep the peace, etc. I remember once a girl made a pumpkin pie... after dinner some boys rushed to cut themselves a big piece and as I watched their faces turn pinched we figured out she accidentally replaced the sugar with salt! Lesson learned, sometimes it's best to sit back and take the second piece of pie! 

2. I spent one Thanksgiving at a friend's house, she made quite a production out of the gathering and we were all entering  the formal dining room to eat soon, and when we went in her dog was on the table chowing down on our turkey.... 

3.Another year I was at a different friend's house for TG and one of my tasks was to open sticks of butter, put them on dishes for each table.
My friend asked if I forgot a table... I said, nope, did all of them. 

Her Great dane Roxie had helped herself to the whole stick of butter, dish licked clean, no evidence but lip licking and a big dog smile. 

do you have a story to share? If you wrote a post, let me know in comments to be added in !

Fine dining is old southern cooking:

for holidays I rely on old standards minus turkey that tastes awful here in Aurora CO. 
 
I've cooked so much the last 3 weeks I just don't care anymore. 
 I love Martha Stewart's old out of print cranberry sauce recipe and we like it on lots of foods so I made it to at least feel normal. Raspberry vinegar, sugar, orange peel, cinnamon, and the sound of popping cranberries as it cooks. If you want I'll send my recipe with amounts.

 
 
I'm going to try baking chicken breasts on top of bread stuffing as stand in for turkey today. No fruit for ambrosia, hopefully a pecan pie. 
in fact, pulling up a pecan pie, fork, whipped cream sounds like just about enough.
oatmeal pecan chocolate chip cookies
 
home made banana rolls


Milo: I don't know what "wheat" means but that's when I get nothing up there that smells good! Wah!

Watching: 

I am enjoying the show House of Villains very much... but you know I like reality game shows like that, this makes me laugh so worries are diverted for an hour.  I also love Survivor and watching Rob has a podcast discussions of it the day after. 
Amazing Race, Dancing with the stars, and Big Brother has a holiday special starting in Dec this year. 
I'm also watching the channel Ovation for great reruns like Doc Martin, Midsomer Murders, Murdoch mysteries. 
baby goats eating on youtube when I can... all those little tails wagging in a row!
 

Reading

audio:
such a good listen!!! The Scottish accents, the story line is great too...
Ebook  next in series about Beryl and Edwina in 1920's solving mysteries in a small viullage
Murder Comes to Call - Ellicott, Jessica 

 Art

finished this
 has taken a big backseat during the last three weeks of fighting contagion in this house...
and finished knitting this hat

 

 Milo's Moments

I liked that Mama and Daddy were too overwhelmed to really groom me this week. They bathed me, ick! and shaved my face and harumph! private area and seem to be leaving the rest. I'm gonna be a big puff ball by next month! 
I like the hair when it's cold weather, and hate the hair when it's hot on walks in the sun. 
I got a new batch of rice/applesauce and pumpkin almond butter cookies this week. Fresh from Mama's hands to my big poodle mouth! I missed playing with Daddy for the last 3 weeks but now that he is out of bed more I think I can lure him into playing soon. Hope so. 
 
now visit with these peeps of mama's to see what they like this week 

16 comments:

easyweimaraner said...

the pumpkin pie girl could be me LOL... I once used salted butter for a cheesecake... wow that was ... special... happy thanksgiving

Shonnie said...

Thank you for your weekly thankful/gratitude posts. Sometimes we need to be reminded to think of all the wonderful things and people around us, as human nature seems to focus on the negatives. In Canada we’ve already had our Thanksgiving celebration, but with Christmas and another turkey dinner on the horizon, i’d love your cranberry sauce recipe! It looks and sounds delicious.

Angela said...

Our first dog, a cocker spaniel helped himself to the Christmas turkey one year. At least it was after we had eaten!

Sara said...

Happy Thanksgiving!! I really hope your husband is on the mend finally.

My funny Thanksgiving story was about a niece who was 4 or 5 at the time, came up to where I was dishing up pie and whipped cream. She held out her plate and asked for just the whipped cream. When I asked what she wanted under the whipped cream, she said "my plate". Then she went back to the buffet table and scooped up cold green beans to "dip" into the whipped cream. That was about 40 years ago, but still one of my favorite memories.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Love your funny Thanksgiving stories - especially the one about the kids who just had to have that pumpkin pie! Happy Thanksgiving - hope you have a restful day.

Cloudia said...

I appreciate hearing your thanksgiving stories, but I really adore your quilt! That is excellent. And Milo of course.... Aloha!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Those were fun stories and how funny the sweet pups just helped themselves! Milo, you're such a good boy, I hope you get to play ball with Dad soon. Happy Thanksgiving from all of us and thanks for joining Angel Brian's Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

Babajeza said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I love cranberry sauce. :-) All the best, Regula

PaintedThread said...

Happy Thanksgiving. I hope you're all feeling better. I like the color and the pattern of your hat.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Years ago all the family used to have Christmas dinner at my grandparents, their window faced the front of the house were you could see the public footpath. As we were eating we noticed a dog and he was carrying....... half a turkey! We never knew where he came from. Hugs for Milo too xXx

Annie said...

Happy Thanksgiving. Fun doggy stories. I’m pleased to say I’ve no stories about food pinching here.
Hugs,
Annie x

Angie said...

LeeAnna - first, thanks for keeping up with I Like Thursday despite the "contagion" and everything that you have on your plate! My husband makes a jaw-dropping cranberry sauce, which includes brandy and is served hot. So, so good! It is nothing like the cold, jello-based cranberry salad that my Mom made, and which I also adore! I enjoy watching DWTS while I am running on the treadmill - the perfect distraction!

Kathleen McCormick said...

Has that contagion left the premises yet? Much too long. I love your thanksgiving stories - the pumpkin pie and disappearing food is hysterical. Percy jumped on the table once after company and went after the left over roast I think. First year in my new kitchen I blew up the cranberry sauce...not a pretty event!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Happy Milo's dad is back on his feet. You two haven't had it easy and the sniffle season is just beginning. But happier to think of delicious food and wonderful arty projects. I eat cranberry sauce year round and often make it to go with chicken.

Lisca said...

Sorry Im late. I thought I had commented, but I don't see it. So here goes again: I really giggled at your TG funnies! Although that dog devouring the turkey was a major disaster! (and not funny really)
Your buns look delicious and so does the cranberry sauce.
I enjoyed Milo's story as always.
See you soon,
Hugs,
Lisca

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Thanksgiving is the only day I regret being a vegetarian. LOVE turkey (white meat only) but luckily there are enough other tasty foodables to enjoy. Plus pie! 😋